Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195233 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #450 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 14:35:27 »

I lost 2 kilos in the last month, while gaining muscle. Fingers crossed that my belly might finally be losing the battle.

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 14:52:09 »

In Arras after leaving Paris this morning having done the Marathon yesterday.  Hot.  And I have a million excuses for doing crap.  15 minutes more than my crap time in London last year.  Lovely weekend though.  A lot more relaxed than London - my kids jumped on to the course to run the last hundred metres with me.  They would probably have been wrestled the the ground and shot in London!

Nice course, 1 notable hill, a lot of annoying cobbles and potholes which resulted in my taking a tumble early on that I didn't really recover from.

Recommended though.

Never knowingly overstated.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 15:06:21 »

I lost 2 kilos in the last month, while gaining muscle. Fingers crossed that my belly might finally be losing the battle.

Great work, most people usually gain weight when they gain muscle (the usual, muscle weighs more than fat). Good on you. That's excellent progress.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Flashheart

« Reply #453 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 15:17:21 »

Great work, most people usually gain weight when they gain muscle (the usual, muscle weighs more than fat). Good on you. That's excellent progress.

Thanks

I'm not overweight so it wouldn't necessarily be a problem if I did put some on. It's not the weight that's the problem, rather how, and where, it's distributed. The belly's been stubborn so far but hopefully it's giving up the fight.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 16:05:45 »

I have physio on 20th April, does anyone know if there are any excercises I can do prior to physio that will strengthen the ankle?
I'd be very wary of doing anything much without professional guidance, wait until you see the physio rather than risk causing a setback with well-meaning but ill-informed advice on t'interweb. Not worth it for the sake of a couple of weeks' headstart IMO
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 16:32:19 »

I'd be very wary of doing anything much without professional guidance, wait until you see the physio rather than risk causing a setback with well-meaning but ill-informed advice on t'interweb. Not worth it for the sake of a couple of weeks' headstart IMO

You are probably right. I would be devastated if I buggered it again and had to start again!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 19:17:16 »

Thanks

I'm not overweight so it wouldn't necessarily be a problem if I did put some on. It's not the weight that's the problem, rather how, and where, it's distributed. The belly's been stubborn so far but hopefully it's giving up the fight.

No absolutely, this is often the misconception with people in reference to cholesterol levels too. Many think that it's only overweight people who may have bad cholesterol levels. Total myth. Without suggesting your previous diet, did you used to enjoy "British style curries"? (I'm aware you're not UK based). Still great work though and indeed, that middle age spread catches up with all of us at some point and it's all relative to our own natural size, shape, metabolism and many other factors.

'Incessant Nonsense'

blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 21:00:09 »

In Arras after leaving Paris this morning having done the Marathon yesterday.  Hot.  And I have a million excuses for doing crap.  15 minutes more than my crap time in London last year.  Lovely weekend though.  A lot more relaxed than London - my kids jumped on to the course to run the last hundred metres with me.  They would probably have been wrestled the the ground and shot in London!

Nice course, 1 notable hill, a lot of annoying cobbles and potholes which resulted in my taking a tumble early on that I didn't really recover from.

Recommended though.

Well done dude. Would love to do that, how much would it roughly cost for a weekend for two and race?

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 06:35:57 »

Recommended though

Bloody well done. Every time I struggle over the line of a half-marathon, my esteem goes up for anyone who does a second lap.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 06:46:47 »

Thanks Gents

Cost wise - working it all out not cheap, very conservative estimates 

Race - 100
Doctors note - 30
Tunnel - 166
Airbnb - 300
Spending money - 200

Really probably at least a grand.  Im sure there are cheaper ways to do it but bringing the wife and 2 kids doesnt make it cheap.

Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 09:08:33 »

Due a niggling knee injury I've had to limit the running and cycling but being a stress head I decided to use the headspace app and meditate every day in January. I did this and thought I'd carry on - I'm now up to 100 day streak.

It does make very subtle changes to you, but very positive ones.

and no I'm not a hippy, or vegan  Cheesy   
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 15:42:35 »

Due a niggling knee injury I've had to limit the running and cycling but being a stress head I decided to use the headspace app and meditate every day in January. I did this and thought I'd carry on - I'm now up to 100 day streak.

It does make very subtle changes to you, but very positive ones.

and no I'm not a hippy, or vegan  Cheesy   

Yep I've used this in the past. Simple techniques and once you get it/accept what it's doing then it's a fantastic tool to have. I go back to it every now and again but have used my own meditation as well as Tai Chi, which is amazing the more you develop it.

'Incessant Nonsense'

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 23:49:17 »

https://www.ruled.me/

Plenty of cruciferous veg (cauliflower, broccoli, sprouts, kale).
Meat.
Cheese.
Eggs.
Nuts.
Fathead Pizza.

Best to do during the summer months so you can get the windows open.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 14:25:25 »

Anyone interested in this or needs that kick up the arse to get outdoors...My friend Tina and her transition from couch to trail running is featured here;

https://twitter.com/OEmagazine/status/98437054118753?s=20

or directly via here (page 14/15)

http://www.oe-mag.co.uk/imag/oespring2018/

'Incessant Nonsense'

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Saturday, April 27, 2019, 10:38:28 »

Anyone doing London Marathon this year?

My continued mid life crisis has resulted in me in doing a few little marathon in the last couple of years.  This year Im doing 5 marathons for Shelter trying to raise 8k for the homeless.  Tomorrow is my 3rd marathon this month.  Manchester followed by Brighton the next week was a bit of a daft move.

Anyway, had a week off so it should hurt as badly tomorrow.  If any of you are feeling generous please do sponsor me here

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-portal/fundraiserPage?pageId=966171

The shelter running shirt is a lovely red and white which makes me feel at home, though it is a little tight around my still ample gut. 

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: