Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 196582 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 12:19:36 »

I'm doing Marseille in March. Worried that if the police see anyone running there, their instinct will be to give chase.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 12:27:33 »

The new Swindon half marathon route looks like a big improvement, anyone looking at doing it?

www.facebook.com/newswindonhalf

I would have, but it's a few days after we get back from holiday in France...so not the best timing.

I'm running the Farnborough Half Marathon this weekend - the first time the event has been held, and my first half marathon in quite a while.  Aiming for a slow & steady 2 hrs 15 mins!
Flashheart

« Reply #317 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 09:27:04 »

Do you lot pick up many niggles?

I've been using a treadmill for about a month now. I got the usual expected aches and pains but that passed. I didn't start running/jogging until earlier this week and now the insides of my knees are killing me. I had to give it a rest today and will be until the pain subsides I think. I'm walking about like fucking Robocop at the moment, I must look ridiculous.

Google tells me that it's probably just tight muscles and it'll pass soon, I bloody hope so.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 09:35:31 »

do i pick up any niggles? i am my physios retirement plan, put it that way... this week the aching Achilles.

other than a good dynamic warmup and a dynamic/static cool down, regular stretching on off days, rolling the  muscles, and making sure that you have a decent and correct pair of trainers i have no real advice...

rest, cross train (swimming  for me loosens me up), listen to your body and invent a time machine to go back 20 years to your youth!
Flashheart

« Reply #319 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 09:38:59 »

I've been going 6 days a week. Maybe bit much for an unhealthy fat lump as myself?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 09:40:44 »

6 days a week is a lot if just starting off. Rest is also key to exercise. How about every other day. Remember to do short distances to start at a steady pace.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 09:46:59 »

i start with 2, build up to 3 a week, and start short and slow, build up distance on one run and vary the other 2 faster/shorter, hills, etc.  

just finishing second month of 6 miles max in other to try and build a stronger base before increasing distance. not introduced hills or intervals yet.

i generally don't even do 4 a week these days for fear of breaking, everyone is different but i find that i can improve on that amount. i do swim too (badly)

6 is far too many, especially for a beginner. muscles need a break between.
Flashheart

« Reply #322 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 10:00:04 »

I'll take it a bit easier then. I've been trying to burn up calories to get rid of my beer belly. As magnificent as it is, it needs to go.

It's not shifted so far though, it's standing its ground. I'm almost proud of its perseverance, it's definitely going to be the last man standing.

No rush though. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that jazz.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 10:14:23 »

It'd definitely be worth looking at a couch to 5k plan or similar. Starting off, you should probably start with 3 short-ish runs a week, that might be as little as 20 mins even (plus warm-up and cool down time, don't neglect pre-run warmup and post-run stretches or you *will* get injured). And you should vary the type/pace of run - just going flat out shit or bust will greatly increase your chance of injury and actually won't shift the belly. A slow run is actually better for fat burning than a fast run,  even though a faster run (over the same time) will burn more calories. You'd be better off starting out easy and increasing pace as you get fitter as it will help you avoid injury and better match your goals.

If you can't find a plan you like, you can generate your own using this:
http://gip.is/
Flashheart

« Reply #324 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 10:19:15 »

Thanks. I've been doing more fast walking than actual running, it's only this week I've managed to do something that even resembles a running stride. 2 1/2 minutes of jogging and I'm close to throwing up, that's how unfit I am.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 10:29:55 »

Thanks. I've been doing more fast walking than actual running, it's only this week I've managed to do something that even resembles a running stride. 2 1/2 minutes of jogging and I'm close to throwing up, that's how unfit I am.
You'll be surprised how quickly it builds up. Any half decent couch to 5k plan will include some interval runs (where you intersperse a couple of minutes of quicker running with a slower recovery for a couple of minutes) which will help build your overall fitness. Important thing is to keep at it, do it regularly as a habit and don't overdo it. Cos you won't get any fitter if you pull something in the first week and then can't run for the next three weeks!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 10:36:26 »

couch to 5K is a good suggestion. Nothing wrong with walk/running to build up. Just remember that your muscles take time to "repair" after exercise, hence rest is vital.

As for killing the beer belly by calorie count, if you are strict enough get the free myfitnesspal app for your phone.  Log absolutely everything.  Only snag I can see is if myfitnesspal doesn't have many Thai based brands in its database.

My issue is I over compensate from running by eating shit loads.

As long as you stick to a sensible schedule you'll be fine. Even I managed a HM, I couldn't run much more than a mile when I started.
Flashheart

« Reply #327 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 10:57:41 »

I've started eating more. That's not necessarily a bad thing though as I wasn't eating enough, my calories were coming mostly from beer. I was leading such an inactive lifestyle that I simply had no appetite.

I don't have a bad diet though. Lots of fresh food and very little is processed. I might grab a burger once a week.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 11:16:59 »

Running is a nightmare for niggling injuries.
If you're training for a running event then fair enough, if not, I'd suggest cycling and swimming instead as it's easier on your joints and muscles.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Friday, March 31, 2017, 11:18:59 »

A nutritionist friend tells me that as long as you exercise, the body can process fats. It's sugar that needs to go. I've found it relatively easy to wean myself off most sweet stuff, but of course alcohol hides lots of sugar too. The only concession I've made there is drinking more wine than beer, but I know it's really hard to find affordable wine in Thailand.

Like most things, the hardest bit is the start, but if it's any help, I only started running 4 years ago. I was pitifully unfit at the start, but I've lost 4kg, and the latest HM I ran was 20 mins faster than my first.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: