Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195352 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 09:39:09 »

I want to train for a half or even full marathon. But it's finding the time.

Do I get up at 5am, as I need to get the kids up at 6.30am for school. Or run when the kids are in bed. But we eat at 5pm...

Argh....

I recently read a book called "The Time-Starved Cyclist's Training Formula" which shows you how to balance work/life/family/training.  I found it really useful and it could easily be adapted to running.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 09:49:25 »

I want to train for a half or even full marathon. But it's finding the time.

Do I get up at 5am, as I need to get the kids up at 6.30am for school. Or run when the kids are in bed. But we eat at 5pm...

Argh....

If you eat at 5pm, you can digest and be out running by 8pm. If you're prepared to give up on some telly. Easier now the evenings are longer. If finding time's a problem, target a half rather than full marathon. You can do useful sessions in an hour, whereas you need to dedicate much more time to building up endurance for the full monty.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 09:59:29 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 10:09:48 »

I recently read a book called "The Time-Starved Cyclist's Training Formula" which shows you how to balance work/life/family/training.  I found it really useful and it could easily be adapted to running.

I saw that, is it any good as I perhaps need some sort of structure to get my fitness back and whilst I work from home I still struggle to find the time?
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 11:21:26 »

I saw that, is it any good as I perhaps need some sort of structure to get my fitness back and whilst I work from home I still struggle to find the time?

To be honest is a lot of common sense but it gives structure and ideas along with reasons why you should train the way it recommends. For £1.99 on Kindle it is well worth it.

You'll need the other book in the series which is about turbo training to get full benefit. 
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 12:19:46 »

disappointing of brizzle council:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-36014525
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 14:18:41 »

Talk about short-sighted. Cost of everything, value of nothing. Perhaps they'd prefer them clogging up Casualty with their cider-filled and pasty-lined arteries.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #261 on: Monday, May 2, 2016, 07:29:12 »

London marathon ballot time for those who felt inspired by the race last week.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/ballot-entry/

I've entered myself and Mrs to double my chances. She doesn't want to run it, so Sod's law she'll get in  Cheesy
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Monday, May 2, 2016, 08:24:42 »

Just done mine too, but what are the odds now 1:10 or worse, won't hold my breath...
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Monday, May 2, 2016, 09:51:19 »

Yep.  Just done it as well.

Never knowingly overstated.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Friday, May 6, 2016, 20:43:38 »

Hey runner people.  Any recommendations on watches for running?

Never knowingly overstated.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Saturday, May 7, 2016, 06:56:07 »

What do you want it to do? If you want with gps they cost a lot more. I have the Fitbit surge but it's ace. It has all the bells and whistles. There are cheaper options.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Saturday, May 7, 2016, 07:44:57 »

what's your budget? what do you want - basic pace /distance? upload to web? something more?

personally I use an old garmin + hrm chest strap. was eyeing up a newer one with integrated optical hrm/Bluetooth to phone. but this is going to be £200+.

but I've just injured myself again. so...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #267 on: Saturday, May 7, 2016, 09:56:44 »

What do you want it to do? If you want with gps they cost a lot more. I have the Fitbit surge but it's ace. It has all the bells and whistles. There are cheaper options.

http://thehackernews.com/2015/10/hack-fitbit.html
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Saturday, May 7, 2016, 10:36:11 »

I'm very happy with just the free Nike+ Run app. Used to have an Adidas thing with the chest-strap palaver, but didn't like feeling constricted. What makes a pricy bit of kit that much better?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Saturday, May 7, 2016, 11:14:00 »

I'm very happy with just the free Nike+ Run app. Used to have an Adidas thing with the chest-strap palaver, but didn't like feeling constricted. What makes a pricy bit of kit that much better?

GPS - its not any more accurate than a foot pod type device, but it tracks where you actually go.
I find it useful for:
  1. downloading/recording courses. Very useful telling you if you've gone "off track" in non-marshalled races
  2. Comparing your identical  runs in strava, and v others on the same segments
  3. HRM is useful when I'm training/coming back from another injury to make sure I don't push it too hard. You pay a lot more for an inbuilt optical HRM. Luckily a chest strap doesn't bother me too much.

Is all this worth it - well, depends on what you want. If its just straight distance/pace then absolutely not.

You can of course do all this on a phone. I can't stand strapping a phone to my arm!
 Though it does have the 'advantage' of live logging as you run I suppose!

This is what I have - its chunky and old, but its multisport and does what I need. They synching to PC was a PITA before I realised I could do it using my phone

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Multisport-Monitor/dp/B0025VKUPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462619547&sr=8-1&keywords=forerunner+310xt+hrm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: