Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195228 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #165 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:17:40 »

A belated congratulations from me as well Ardiles. (I don't really follow this thread).
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 20:46:03 »

The Chippenham half is a nice one, goes out into the countryside for a lot of it (I don't know the area).

People will tell you the last couple of miles are downhill. They are lying. Part of the last mile has a steepish decline, but there's a steepish incline not too long before it.

And well done ardiles, good stuff. I entered the ballot for next years this morning, though don't expect to get in. Going to berlin in the end of September though, which will be lush

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 21:05:51 »

Nice one Ardiles.
---
Chippenham half is 7th Sept. Swindon half is 12 Oct.. Wonder if I can do both....

http://www.chippenhamhalfmarathon.co.uk/big_picture.aspx?map=maps/CHM_Route_Big.jpg&title=Course%20Route

I do a bit of that Langley Burrell run on my Friday lunch long run. Its a small incline but a complete arse at the end of a run for reasons I've not fully understood.
--
Did my longest ever run this morning going from home in Chippenham to Calne along the old railroad track and back.  13.04 miles.  In a frankly unimpressive 2.11.

Pah, did that in 58 minutes in Thursday. Yes, OK it was on a mountain bike.... 2.11 isn't bad at all IMHO. I usually go down the hill into the park bit, do a loop and cycle back. That hill is a bit of a git.. The other bit that gets me is the metal bridge over the river near Chippenham, back up towards the railway - not sure if you go that way-  but it doesn't matter how good I feel on the rest of the run, I am blowing out my ass when I finally cross the railway line on Cocklebury lane
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 21:14:23 by Batch » Logged
Norfolkred

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 21:25:24 »

Well done Ardiles, must be a great atmosphere doing the London one. I am thinking of doing a 50K ultra in August at Salisbury (5-4-3-2-1 organised by the fire brigade). Has anyone else done it before? I would need to push on with my training to get to the right level of fitness.

Further to Reg's walking marathon suggestion, I walked the Peddars Way and North Norfolk coastal path last week. 100 miles in 6 days (13,16,20,19,18,17) taking my dog and camping each night. Superb feeling of isolation and amazing views, especially on the North Norfolk coast. I had to rearrange the timing slightly to make sure I was finished before the Coventry game  Wink
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 21:29:07 »

Nice one Ardiles.
---
Chippenham half is 7th Sept. Swindon half is 12 Oct.. Wonder if I can do both....

http://www.chippenhamhalfmarathon.co.uk/big_picture.aspx?map=maps/CHM_Route_Big.jpg&title=Course%20Route

I do a bit of that Langley Burrell run on my Friday lunch long run. Its a small incline but a complete arse at the end of a run for reasons I've not fully understood.
--
Pah, did that in 58 minutes in Thursday. Yes, OK it was on a mountain bike.... 2.11 isn't bad at all IMHO. I usually go down the hill into the park bit, do a loop and cycle back. That hill is a bit of a git.. The other bit that gets me is the metal bridge over the river near Chippenham, back up towards the railway - not sure if you go that way-  but it doesn't matter how good I feel on the rest of the run, I am blowing out my ass when I finally cross the railway line on Cocklebury lane

I couldn't work out which way was uphill.  I swear on the way to Calne its all uphill but I turned round and found it was all uphill again.  Maybe it was my mind.  

I went up to the start of Cocklebury lane, but then on the way back took a trip through the town to home in Lowden.  The metal bridge i just one of the markers on the run for me, but I was blowing out of my ass by that point.  The running style was no longer super smooth, more like I was 86.

Never knowingly overstated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 21:45:57 »

I couldn't work out which way was uphill.  I swear on the way to Calne its all uphill but I turned round and found it was all uphill again.  Maybe it was my mind. 

Nope not just you, other than on the way back just over the bridge by Black Dog Pass (?) its all uphill. Its been mystifying physicians for years.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Thursday, May 1, 2014, 22:05:23 »

Bit of advice you experienced runners.  I find half way through a long run my sweat starts to get in my eyes and really sting.  I dont think buying a 1980's Bjorn Bjorg headband to soak it all up is really a good idea.  Is there some cunning way apart from not sweating?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #172 on: Thursday, May 1, 2014, 22:09:58 »

Have you tried not running ?! Not suffered from that... Yet.

Yesterday I did a stage of the Cotswold way relay. I now know my recent 'hill reps' were nothing of the sort. Had to walk in the end.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Thursday, May 1, 2014, 22:16:07 »

Bit of advice you experienced runners.  I find half way through a long run my sweat starts to get in my eyes and really sting.  I dont think buying a 1980's Bjorn Bjorg headband to soak it all up is really a good idea.  Is there some cunning way apart from not sweating?

No joke used have same problem playing football in contact lenses. Then I looked to Scottish legend Jim Leighton. Thin layer of Vaseline across eyebrows and sweat runs away from the eyes and down yer cheeks. Problem solved.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Thursday, May 1, 2014, 22:23:48 »

Thankyou sir.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 21:51:34 »

Been doing a few legs of the Cotswold way relay over the last few weeks. Some of the guys at work are doing it and wanted to 'recce' a few legs so I tagged along.

http://www.cotswoldwayrelay.co.uk/

Stage 5 tonight. Even though its net downhill I think I'm broken:

http://www.cotswoldwayrelay.co.uk/S5.htm
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, June 28, 2014, 19:25:10 »

Did the Cotswold way relay (sorry to bleat on Facebook friends Smiley). Did it in 1hr 35 min 44 secs. Was targeting 1hr 35 so not too disappointed.

http://www.cotswoldwayrelay.co.uk/S6.htm

Its only 8.6 miles,. But its 409m of climbing (and 367 descending). I can do 10 miles on the flat in 1hr 25 so that puts it in perspective.

Cam Log Down is a complete bastard even when you walk it!. Only finished 69/90 but there a lot of club runners so shouldn't feel too disappointed I suppose.

Legs felt pretty OK at the end, tired but not dead, cardio=completely screwed. Guess I'm just not fit enough for hills, which isn't surprising.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, June 28, 2014, 19:31:27 »

Nice one, Batch.  I'll look out for that one.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Saturday, June 28, 2014, 19:32:37 »

Nice one, Batch.  I'll look out for that one.

Cheers! Lots of legs (10) and you enter as a team of 10. All staggered starts throughout the day (no baton!), each leg has an en-mass start.

Legs are graded easier, medium, hard. Some hard legs are complete bastards - did a leg 4 recce and that runs past Coopers 'cheese rolling' hill and up the back. 12.5m and I ran to empty at 11.5m. Had to walk the last mile. Even the downhill bits.

Leg 8 was similar. Had a cider at the pub at the end. Got home. Threw up .

Thankfully mine was a medium, it was never a case of not making it (within cutoff time), just a case of how quick I could go.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 28, 2014, 19:38:12 by Batch » Logged
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #179 on: Saturday, June 28, 2014, 20:09:34 »

Good work Batch. I'm looking for local 10k - half marathon distance, can anyone recommend one?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: