Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195256 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Sunday, February 16, 2014, 14:48:21 »

Upped my long run to 16 miles this weekend.  Just in.  Hurting like hell, but I'm fairly sure I've avoided damaging anything.  And very happy with it!  Smiley

Including a few short loo breaks it took me 3 hrs 5 mins...so just outside 5 hrs marathon time.  Two months to go, so I'll be hoping to get that down a little - if only because the thought of prolonging the torture for 5 hours scares the hell out of me.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, February 16, 2014, 16:59:21 »

Excellent work Ardiles. I always find that getting out of the door is the hardest think so to do 16 miles on a cold morning is a great achievement.

I only did 4.5. 
WR5

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Sunday, February 16, 2014, 20:14:24 »

Was due to do an 18 miler today, 2 miles in slipped on black ice, and fucked my ankle  Doh Bad Mood
limped home.

Essexred

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 21:31:56 »

Bought new running shoes today. Did the gait analysis and was surprised to see that, despite a huge heel strike, I actually run reasonably normally. Looking forward to getting out tomorrow for my first run of the week. Signed up for Jantastic this year which has inspired me to get out and run when the weather hasn't been the greatest. Already logged 21 runs this year, just beating the 2 runs at the same time last year!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 21:45:10 »

Do any of you own a treadmill?  Can of beer in one hand, TV remote in the other. No ice, cars, dogs, rain and mud to worry about.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 21:46:20 »

Was due to do an 18 miler today, 2 miles in slipped on black ice, and fucked my ankle  Doh Bad Mood
limped home.

Ouch.  Hope it's nothing too serious.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 08:04:30 »

Many thanks to the TEFer who made an unexpected donation to my charity page by following the link in my sig below. Spurred on by this, if at least two more do the same by tomorrow lunchtime, I'll post a pic of me wearing my 80-81 season STFC shirt on a training run in front of Notre-Dame on my collection page, as proof that running aids weight loss!

Secure site, viewable in English, all proceeds fund education projects in the developing world.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 19:04:07 »

Question for all you runners on here.....

Every time I go out on a long distance road run, or try to, I get a horrible pain on the outside of my lower legs, in the calf area. Its difficult to describe to be honest, I wouldn't say it was shin splints either.
It's usually after a mile or so that I can begin to feel it.
I have a new pair of Asics that supposedly suit my running style, so I am a bit lost as to what it could be.
I still play football regularly without the pain, it's literally only when I am out road runninG.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 19:28:26 »

I used to get something similar to that. I started doing 5 or so minutes of stretches after running and it went away

Things get better but they never get good
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 19:33:06 »

Always stretch before and after runs.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 19:39:58 »

Question for all you runners on here.....

Every time I go out on a long distance road run, or try to, I get a horrible pain on the outside of my lower legs, in the calf area. Its difficult to describe to be honest, I wouldn't say it was shin splints either.
It's usually after a mile or so that I can begin to feel it.
I have a new pair of Asics that supposedly suit my running style, so I am a bit lost as to what it could be.
I still play football regularly without the pain, it's literally only when I am out road runninG.

Pain in the muscle? Or does it feel like it's more along the bone?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 19:50:22 »

Pain in the muscle? Or does it feel like it's more along the bone?
I would say bone, but as I said, it's hard to describe.
I try and run through it but it gets worse and worse.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 20:33:05 »

If it feels like the bone, then that's shin splints. Had it myself.

Definitely get a gait analysis done if you haven't already - wearing the right shoes is crucial. Stretching does help a little, especially the calfs.
WR5

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 20:34:37 »

Ouch.  Hope it's nothing too serious.

Did a slowish 8 tonight and all was good.

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 20:55:28 »

I'm currently wearing Asics Gel Cumulus 15 which were recommended to me, they have made a slight difference, but nothing major.
Cheers for the replys thought chaps, I will have a bit of a stretch before I go out tomorrow and see if that helps.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: