Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195272 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2014, 14:25:17 »

Every time I log into Facebook - "Oh, look, Smithy's out for a run... again."

The other weekend I noted your run and thought "Brilliant, my pace is about the same!", then I realised it was just a warm down run after you'd already ran 14 miles in the morning. FML.
FatSmurf

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2014, 14:35:06 »

I use this too, as DV and Samdy can probably testify!

Does it map the route you have ran or just tell you how far/fast etc?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2014, 16:03:53 »

Yeah it maps the route.  Produces a pretty little pattern for you to put on social media and impress everyone.

Never knowingly overstated.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2014, 16:05:20 »

Yeah it maps the route.  Produces a pretty little pattern for you to put on social media and impress everyone.

Or a not so pretty pattern

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/10/woman-draws-penis-nike_n_4576966.html

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 17:48:03 »

Excellent advice.  Thank you!  I'm going to make a point of doing the exact same route next weekend so that I can beat it psychologically.  I need to get ½ marathon distance under my belt.

Winnersh, you are my bitch.  Grin
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 18:51:15 »

I now run.  Manchester 10k in May.  Currently able to do 7.5k without serious medical intervention.  Starting to like the fact my jeans are looser, but anyone who says they actually enjoy the running part is either a hero or a mentalist.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 18:54:13 »

Winnersh, you are my bitch.  Grin

No cramping ??

Started training today - early morning 3 miles - need to build up gradually.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 18:54:48 »

I now run.  Manchester 10k in May.  Currently able to do 7.5k without serious medical intervention.  Starting to like the fact my jeans are looser, but anyone who says they actually enjoy the running part is either a hero or a mentalist.

You will enjoy it, give it time.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:00:53 »

I'm lucky enough to be able to run at wok at lunch time. Its a good de-stresser.

Its more enjoyable once you get a bit fitter (takes a month or two), better weather helps - but not too hot. Those 30C days in August nearly melted me.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:04:53 »

No cramping ??

Started training today - early morning 3 miles - need to build up gradually.

Not cramping as such.  Just hurt a fair bit at the finish, and a bit of a twinge in my calf...but I'm sure that's fine.  Shuffling more than running for the last mile or so.  But very pleased, all in all.  I have a few more months to build up, so feels as if I'm on track.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:08:46 »

Not cramping as such.  Just hurt a fair bit at the finish, and a bit of a twinge in my calf...but I'm sure that's fine.  Shuffling more than running for the last mile or so.  But very pleased, all in all.  I have a few more months to build up, so feels as if I'm on track.

Did you change anything from last week?

Did you ever get fitted for proper shoes as mentioned last year ?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:51:34 »

Did you change anything from last week?

A little.  Spent the day drinking squash and Lucozade (and peeing) before I went out at 3pm, but that was about it.

Did you ever get fitted for proper shoes as mentioned last year ?

I went to Sweatshop in Woking and got a new pair in their sale.  Went through the running analysis with them which, interestingly enough, determined that my running style was pretty normal and didn't really require anything in the way of correction.  (Previously, back in 2006/07, I was identified as an over-pronator so my previous pairs of shoes were more built up on the inside.)  No complaints about the new pair, but I may switch to a more cushioned pair at some point soon anyway.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 20:04:13 »

On Friday I came across puddles which were knee deep. I continued through it, as I'm in training for tough mudder. It was tough, very tough. I only did 4 and a bit miles, and thought no way could I do tough mudder.

After I finished I looked back and I did enjoy it. I think as soon as you get through that pain barrier it becomes easier.

I also find that running near road encourages me not to stop as I worry what people may think!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 21:04:13 »

I also find that running near road encourages me not to stop as I worry what people may think!

I know what you mean.  Another thing I often end up doing is telling people where/how far I'm running later.  That way, I feel like I can't back out.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 19:13:38 »

Right, I know I could find this out by looking back but cant be arsed.  Where are you all recommending to get trainers?  I'm still using the old gym ones and need to get some properly fitted.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: