Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195355 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 10:20:00 »

THought I'd better move this conversation to the right thread...

Cramping up after 11 miles of my 13 mile training run last night, and having to walk the last 2.  My legs basically refused to go any further.  Still...better safe than sorry.  Last thing I need is to pick up a training injury.  I'd taken the train to Winnersh and aimed to run back to Farnborough.  Same plan next weekend - only then I'm going to do it.

Based on my experience you did
 the right thing. Walking two miles with possibly injured legs is no fun though.

I'm fairly sure I haven't picked up an injury.  Fingers crossed anyway.  It just felt like I might have done had I carried on.  I had to miss an important part of my training/prep for both of the marathons I have done in the past, so very keen to avoid this time around.  If anything, I'm aiming to slightly under-prepare (in terms of miles under my belt) to achieve this.  I don't want to break any records...just get round in a respectable time.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 13:02:41 »

Have a look a hydration tablets/drinks such as Nuun, even some gels provide electrolytes, which make keep you from cramping.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 14:35:39 »

Excellent advice.  Thank you!  I'm going to make a point of doing the exact same route next weekend so that I can beat it psychologically.  I need to get ½ marathon distance under my belt.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 18:40:16 »

I'd recommend the sis rego recovery shake as well. Helps your body recover quicker after exercise.

I bought it from wiggle.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 18:52:11 »

As Sippo said. Also think about hydrating & electrolytes the day/evening before a long run.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 19:47:08 »

If you buy Nuun tablets don't buy the Cola ones,  they are rank!
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 19:58:48 »

Tri Berry are ok when mixed with squash. Good for hangovers too
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 20:08:49 »

Snakebite is good for a bad hangover  Wink
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 20:40:22 »

Loads of tips there.  Thanks fellas.  I only started running again quite recently after a longish break, so I'm not up with the latest products etc. and have not been doing anything by the book really.  I've just been putting my shoes on and going out.  Anything that can help avoid feeling like I did after 11 miles yesterday evening has to be a plus.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 20:59:52 »

Ardiles, I have no idea as a non runner, but know a few.  Just keep adding a mile was their advice until 21 miles for a Marathon.  I believe their advice was to never run more than that until the day itself.  To be fair, they've won a few relay marathons recently and all did sub 4 hour marathons so probably know their stuff.  The right footwear appears to be key
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 21:49:44 »

Footwear is the key - this cannot be stressed enough.

Go to wiggle and research their nutrition section. Good products, good reviews, good advice.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #56 on: Monday, February 3, 2014, 13:56:24 »

Excellent advice.  Thank you!  I'm going to make a point of doing the exact same route next weekend so that I can beat it psychologically.  I need to get ½ marathon distance under my belt.

Have you got any half's lined up?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, February 3, 2014, 18:36:43 »

Tried running home from work today, had to walk most of it. Absolute agony down the outside of my left foot any time I step down on it.

Do I not like Sad

Things get better but they never get good
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, February 3, 2014, 20:30:47 »

Have you got any half's lined up?

Yes - Fleet Half Marathon next month.  Which I'm quite looking forward to.  I hope to have run the distance several times by the time I get to that one.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, February 3, 2014, 21:25:32 »

No-one doing the Paris half-marathon this year? Didn't someone (bogus Dave?) do it last time round?

I expect you'll want to sponsor me though: http://aideetactionausemideparis2014.alvarum.net/sadoldbastards
It's in aid of education projects in the developing world.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: