Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worthy Adversaries  (Read 4615 times)
Coloquix

Ignore
« on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 19:01:17 »

Evening chaps,
A spireite here...just wanted to pop on over and give you my thoughts on yesterday, for what they're worth. Firstly, you have a very talented side and the league is pretty much yours from what I can tell. There has been talk over on our board of a gulf in class between leagues 1 and 2, and in a roundabout way, I think the point is valid. We had a gameplan yesterday and it worked wonders, but all in all, you guys were the better team. The significant difference from what I can tell is that defensive frailties can be brutally exposed in league 1...something we have experienced first hand, hence our position at the bottom of the table. If STFC strengthen defensively, you should be absolutely fine next season and, fingers crossed, we'll be playing you again in the league! Still, a good day out and a much needed boost in the confidence dept for us, and I truly hope that you guys can hold on to the top spot. With the kind of smooth passing football you play, you should walk it!
Best wishes,
Greg.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 19:13:18 »

Thanks for the message. I don't agree there is a gulf in class - don't forget we beat Huddersfield (4-1), Exeter and Colchester in the cups. We were in the L1 play-off final 2 seasons ago so we kind of know the quality of that league! Plus the likes of Ferry, Foderingham, Ritchie etc are Championship class, not L1. Yes you deserved to win yesterday. That was as bad as we've played this season so you can't judge us on one game. We just keep freezing on the big stage! You seemed a nice enough bunch so good luck for the rest of the season.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 26, 2012, 19:17:12 by Gnasher » Logged

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 19:20:11 »

Cheers.

The team isn't defensively frail. Our goals against and clean sheets record proves that.  If the squad was fully fit it wouldn't have had a centre back as right back, and a central midfielder as centre back. Well it might, who can tell with PDC.

I realise your back 4 was not the regular lineup too. They coped admirably.

What disappointed me more was our approach play/lack of cutting edge in the final third and how easily you coped.

Anyway I can't really find dislike of Chesterfield, even after a Wembley loss. So good luck for what looks like a difficult great escape.
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 19:24:30 »

The gulf in class comment is a bit of an odd one - we've beaten several higher league teams this season in cup competitions, including three League One sides. To judge our League One credentials on a one-off cup game is a bit unfair to be honest.

But on the game, your gameplan worked a treat. Our biggest threat is on the wings and you can tell just what a good a job Hurst and Smith did on Ritchie and Holmes by the amount of chances I can remember Benson (who always seems to be on the end of a cross/ball in) had - 0. The rash change in formation after the first goal left us short at the back, which of course allowed you to kill of the game in injury time.

For all of our possession, we really created very little which again is a compliment to your defence. Even when we did create, we lacked that cutting edge up front that could've won us the game. I stayed to watch your guys lift the trophy at the end; I really, really hope I get to see my team lift the League title at the end of the season so I can empathise with you!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 19:31:51 »

It's strange how we see games isn't it.

I had friends at work who watched the game who also thought we were the better team, it's only us that don't think so as we know we could play much better.

As for our defense, I guess you just have to look at it that our back four was made up of two central midfield players at centre half, a centre half at RB & someone who had never played for us at LB.  Even with that it was only after PDC decided to swap Risser for Murray & play with three at the back that we looked in any real danger.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 19:38:45 »

The defence was frail based on yesterdays performance.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 19:49:04 »

The defence was frail based on yesterdays performance.

Shakier than Michael J Fox on a bad day. Even Alan Mc looked dodgy, and he's been rock solid all season.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 20:01:29 »

Victorious Spireite in non-gloating shocker.

You make some valid points Greg, i think our board and manager know where we need to improve if we make league one next year, i think its fairly obvious that we are planning an assault on league one next year rather than trying to get there and stabalise.

The only comment i can offer on our defence at this moment in time is the left back was making his debut, the right back is a centre back and the 2 central defenders are both central midfielders.

I do actually hope Chesterfield stay up as i am yet to visit the new ground, doubt it can be anywhere near as accomodating as the old place though
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 20:14:25 »

Our defence has been great for the majority of the season but has looked suspect following injuries and personnel changes.

I think it highlights the need for more backup, I'm sure our defence is decent enough for league 1. When he's played at centre back for the past couple of months Devera has been brilliant and really a far cry from the start of the season. I think he's been better than Flint personally.
DMR

« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 20:38:03 »

'Defensive frailties brutally exposed in league 1?' Are you quite sure? Didn't realise Barca, Milan and Utd were playing in L1 next year.

Fuck off you patronising northern cunt
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 20:41:30 »

'Defensive frailties brutally exposed in league 1?' Are you quite sure? Didn't realise Barca, Milan and Utd were playing in L1 next year.

Cheesy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 20:43:02 »

Harsh.
He made a valid point based on yesterdays game. Chesterfield carved out 4-5 clear cut scoring chances and they are a struggling side in league 1.
DMR

« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 20:51:22 »

In case you'd forgotten we have spent plenty of time in L1 ourselves. Fuck me we werent a million miles from winning the cunting thing a couple of years ago, I'm sure those of us who aren't retarded can formulate our own ideas on what the standard is like.

And if for some bizarre reason you did want it reiterating, why would you want it from some mug whose team are fucking bottom of it.

Goodnight,
DMR
X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 20:53:45 »

Soapy Tit Wank
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 21:29:58 »

Frankie Boyle has left the building.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up