Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Vs Chesterfield Official Matchday Thread  (Read 41687 times)

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 10:22:18 »

Of course there is a gulf in class between the 2 divisions. The quality of football in league 2 is significantly worse than in league 1.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 10:25:51 »

What I don't understand about the "class" argument is the fact that some Chesterfield fans claim that league 2 class is worse than league 1, then turn around and say at Wembley they played "hoofball" or more "physically" and we played "neat" football. I wish they would make their minds up.
Flashheart

« Reply #377 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 10:28:16 »

Of course there is a gulf in class between the 2 divisions. The quality of football in league 2 is significantly worse than in league 1.

Perhaps in general there is, but that's not really the point being made.

To say this gulf is illustrated by us losing to Cheterfield, while omitting the fact we have beaten two other L1 teams and drawing against another is bizarre. Does that one game against Chesterfield really set the benchmark?

Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 10:31:00 »

The reason they think there's such a gulf is because they got weaker over the summer and did diddly about it.

We won't.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 10:32:40 »

There is a rather liberal use of the word 'class' here...there may be a gulf in the basic ability to defend, score goals etc, but 'class' is pushing it a little...

Messis is a class above anyone else
Barca are class etc etc...
Flashheart

« Reply #380 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 10:32:40 »

The reason they think there's such a gulf is because they got weaker over the summer and did diddly about it.

We won't.

Did they lose players (I don't know)

If they did then it weakens their silly little argument even further
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 10:39:13 »

Did they lose players (I don't know)

If they did then it weakens their silly little argument even further

They definitely got rid of their top scorer and didn't really replace him until Leon Clarke.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 13:05:09 »

Of course there is a gulf in class between the 2 divisions.

Is there fuck....
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 14:26:25 »

Is there fuck....

Then why aren't you watching football this season ?  You've said before that you're not watching us in a 'piss poor' division - or words to that effect  (although doubtless you'll argue the point

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 14:29:36 »

Haha spot on nev
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 15:01:00 »

Then why aren't you watching football this season ?  You've said before that you're not watching us in a 'piss poor' division - or words to that effect  (although doubtless you'll argue the point

I could give you a long explanation as to why I decided against getting a season ticket this season but you and everyone else would completely ignore it and just read what you want read anyway.

L2 is piss poor. L1 is pretty piss poor to.

There is very little if any difference in the two divisions.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 15:07:51 »

So when are you likely to return DV? Next season, or when we get into the Championship? I agree with your "no difference" comment.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 15:15:52 »

At the moment its looking 90% certain I will be purchasing a season ticket for next season.

For the first time, in a very long time it finally feels like the club has some ambition and desire to win.

Last season was shit but I can take being shit, its going down without a fight I couldnt take. The players, the managers, the chairman - everyone was giving in at the first attempt. I understand football is unique in that its business and sports but there seemed to be too much emphasis on business and none on sport.

Everything was done to appease the balance sheet and not the team (Greer, Austin, Morrison)

We seemed to have a bit of 'just happy to still be here and make up the numbers' mentality from top to bottom.  We were clearly going no where.

Di Canio is a character and he's been great for Swindon because he wants to win. He isnt here for the pay cheque (although im sure it helps) he's here to win. He's managed to get mentality flowing through out the club. He wants to win, Wray wants to win, the players want to win.

The club has finally got a bit of ambition and drive back. It finally feels like everyone wants to progress, wants to get better, wants to go forward - not just turn up and go through the motions.

....that was my main gripe last season, it has been festering the last few years but last season really bought it home.

Perhaps its simplifying it a bit too much - but in its most basic form - football is a competitive sport, the goal is to win.
DMR

« Reply #388 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 15:33:59 »

You normally talk sense but come on...
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 16:05:24 »

Disagree here. The team we have now on their day isn't too far off the team we had when we reached the play off final 2 years ago in L1. The main difference is that we had 2 better strikers than we have in this team. If you get a goalscorer and a strike partnership that works on top of what we already have you're looking at top half pushing potentially on for the top 6.

In fact look at Stevenage. If you think there is a huge gap then Stevenage just prove there isn't as they have kept pretty much the same side they had last season  in L2 and are pushing for the play offs in L1.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: