Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Vs Chesterfield Official Matchday Thread  (Read 41858 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #360 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 18:17:09 »

Disappointed.
Succinct.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 18:37:30 »

Hint - Go and see more live games then, maybe the 20+ we've won without a big lump up front.
Funnily enough, I was actually aware that we had been quite successful this season without having been to every game. That does not change the fact though, that it's an area in which we need to improve. You have to be constantly looking at where you can improve. If you don't, you go backwards.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 21:33:32 »

And there I was thinking we already had that in Paul Benson?

Benson has led the line superbly since he came and has shown a great knack of being in the right place at the right time which was the 'Fox in the Box' that Di Canio mentioned earlier in the season. He also works the channels well and brings the midfield into play. However, there will be times though when you need a battering ram type of player who can break through stubborn, robust defences and I'm not sure Benson is that type for all his efforts.
deltaincline

« Reply #363 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 21:49:15 »

Hint - Go and see more live games then, maybe the 20+ we've won without a big lump up front.

I think the term 'big lump' up front is misleading. I dont want to see a player like James Constable up front for us, rather someone with a heftier physical side to his game who can power his way through challenges in and around the box to score or create chances for others, as well as being able to play a bit as well and have some pace.

Strikers are obviously not cheap, but we need that type of player to compliment Benson. Murray, Connell etc just don't fit the bill unfortunately.

Magera may be an option next season as he'll get more time on the ball than in L2. The non-heading fault may be a problem though....
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #364 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 02:26:45 »

And the fact he's fucking wank
DBSpireite78

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 09:07:51 »

Hi a spireite here hope you enjoyed your day out bu the way it was nice to talk to so many friendly fans. I dont think you played that bad i thought at times the equilizer was just around the corner especially after westcarr's first miss. the big difference is like we have witnessed this season of the gulf in class between the 2 divisions. Dont take this the wrong way but i think the problem on sunday was your manager, all weekend saturday and sunday in the papers and everytime you looked at the big screen all the build up was not 2 teams who had fought so hard to get to wmbley but about how it was di canio's first ever wembley apperence so good luck for the title and hope you do well in league 1 next season
DMR

« Reply #366 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 09:13:03 »

Yep, we had our best FA Cup run for decades, we're top of the league by fuckin miles and we got to a Wembley final - our manager is definitely a problem.

If I read one more northern spacker going on about the "gulf in class" between L1 and L2 I may have a nervous breakdown.
Flashheart

« Reply #367 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 09:13:32 »

he big difference is like we have witnessed this season of the gulf in class between the 2 divisions.

Why do people keep spouting this nonsense?

We have lost to only one League 1 team this season. We drew against another and beat another two. Going by that points gained ratio we would be close to a play off spot.

Ask Huddersfield, Exeter and Franchise about this supposed 'gulf'
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 09:25:19 »

The 'gulf between Leagues 1 & 2' line being repeated by Chesterfield fans is hardly surprising given their experience of the last 12 months.  They breezed League 2 last season and have had a shocker this season.  But it's also backed up by a lot of our fans.  We have spent 8 of the last 10 seasons in League 1, and the other 2 in League 2...and during both of our seasons in the bottom division the constant refrain has been that the quality of the opposition has been, generally, awful.  So nothing controversial in the Chesterfield comments, so far as I can see.

We have been good this season - but there have been games that we have won simply by being less bad than the other lot.  If we do go up (and I don't want to take anything for granted just yet...the chasing pack are chasing hard), we are going to fight harder for our wins next season - no doubt about it.  The cup wins were cup wins.  Encouraging, sure enough, but not much of a marker for next season should we go up.
Flashheart

« Reply #369 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 09:28:13 »

Encouraging, sure enough, but not much of a marker for next season should we go up.

Yet to many it seems enough of a marker to suggest there's a 'gulf'
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 09:33:56 »

You can tell what a huge gap there is, just look at how Stevenage have struggled in league 1 this season Wink
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 09:36:00 »

You can tell what a huge gap there is, just look at how Stevenage have struggled in league 1 this season Wink

And Bournemouth the year before this!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Flashheart

« Reply #372 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 09:37:10 »

Exactly Posh
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 09:42:43 »

There's no gulf in class between League One and League Two, just a different style of football.

Really, we've gone about this season the untraditional way by trying to win the league by actually playing football. Our previous stint in League Two with Sturrock showed the traditional kick-and-rush way of getting out of the league. People say you can't win League Two by playing nice attractive football but we've (so far) proved that wrong.

It takes a completely different style of football to be competitive in League One. Just look at the play-off season. We played some nice football and Austin & Paynter thrived under it. With our passing game I'm more than confident that we'd finish top-half of League One with the team we have now.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 09:58:54 »

Dont take this the wrong way but i think the problem on sunday was your manager the media, all weekend saturday and sunday in the papers and everytime you looked at the big screen all the build up was not 2 teams who had fought so hard to get to w(e)mbley but about how it was di canio's first ever wembley appe(a)rance, so good luck for the title and hope you do well in league 1 next season (there is no gulf in class)

Thanks, just put a few corrections in for you.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 10:05:40 by 4D » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: