Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Vs Chesterfield Official Matchday Thread  (Read 41859 times)
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 20:25:30 »

Thought that Ferry was our best player, but he had a good 3 opportunities to shoot and passed it sideways.

We all know his shooting normally leaves much to be desired but they were screaming out to be hit!

Chippy Red

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 21:10:34 »

Yesterday for me showed what we are lacking both players missing we have in our squad and types of players we dont.  Mceverly may prove the left back we need.  Wasnt overly impressed yesterday but it was his first game.  My dad watching back at home said he thought he did well.  I guess alot of us would agree a fit Caddis and Flint would be in our starting 11's.  A new centre mid to partner Ferry is a must.  We have tried a few in Smith ( hard worker, cant pass ), Risser ( to heavy and slow to play centre mid and a crap passer ) and Cox who i not really seen enough of yet.  Up front Bensons done great but feel we need 2 new strikers.  Connell works hard, i like his effort.  But quality he has is not good enough.  You woudlnt chose a connell over the quality of a simon cox or a charlie austin.  We have to aim higher in the quality of our front two.  I think we lack experiance to.  We need players who can grab hold of a game when its not going our way and look to influence the game.  I dont think we have that at present.  We also need a plan B.  I think the wingers cutting in and shooting has got us so far.  But we have to look to change it.  Holmes does he will look to get crosses in by going outside his full back.  Why we never switch wingers i dont know.  A dissapointing day in a great season.

Team for next year if we make it up ( sure we will )

1 Fodders
2 Caddis
3 new left back
4 Ferry
5 Flint
6 McCormack
7 Ritchie (  or if he leaves and im not bothered if he does a right footed winger )
8 New centre mid
9 New striker a target man
10 New striker with pace
11 Holmes
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 21:29:55 »

Been thinking about the team selection and subs for yesterday. After the Torquay game most of us would have gone the same team and set up after a good performance. The Cibbochi vs McEveley decision was interesting as Cibbo had the I'm coming off, no I am staying on, no I am coming off situation against Torquay. If he was fit then either Di Canio has got pissed with that (his interview after Torquay suggested that) and seen enough with McEveley in training to think he is a good enough to put in.

If there was a doubt about fitness, then McEveley would have been the replacement as Calum Kennedy seems out of the picture. I imagine McEveley would have put a big shift in training to impress if a cup final place was up for grabs. What it did do was ending up wasting a substitution as a like for like left back doesn't change much when your chasing the game.

The 5 subs rule and cup tied players didn't leave much room to manoevure as you would want a keeper on the bench so Raffa and Cibbo gave options in defence and midfield/attack. Murray must have squeezed ahead of Tehoue (assuming no cup tie) and maybe Di Canio did see Bostock as one that could change the game on reputation or training efforts.

The subs did seem a bit panicked when we went a goal down but Di Canio has called his subs right most of of the time. Connell agaist the Shrews being a good example and Murray came on in the same situation against Crewe and we dominated the last 20 mins. Apart from one first X1 change it's the same players available against Torquay but failed to respond againsts a team that was going to hang on to a lead given to them in a Wembley Cup Final.

I think what we do need next season is a big striker who can impose physically next in the Constable/Paynter mould when we can't break down teams. I wonder what we will see of Connell next season for all his efforts and endeavours he hasn't scored consistently enough throughout his career to be a 1 in 2 striker we need if we want to push on next year. Overall it's a bit flat but if we react well against Rovers then we are not far off sealing promotion and that's the real result of the this season
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 23:17:46 »

We've beaten more L1 teams that we've lost to this season, so why all of a sudden we're all panicking about next seasons squad and writing off current players already I don't know...
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 23:39:45 »

We've beaten more L1 teams that we've lost to this season, so why all of a sudden we're all panicking about next seasons squad and writing off current players already I don't know...

Absolutely agree.  Maybe they are lacking 'big match' temperament, but that will come - overall it is a very young squad.  It is a very good squad overall, but I agree with all who say we need another striker - so far as I can see, we simply do not have an Austin/Cox style poacher. Tehoue, Connell and Benson are a different mould, and Murray (who I certainly don't write off) seems more of an attacking midfielder.

I also agree with Oaksey M about the Cibocchi/McEveley issue.  Although Cib was declared fit, he took a painful knock against Torquay, so a potentially crocked Cib - whose form has been iffy throughout the season - against OK a new but presumably match-fit arrival in McEveley, experienced at Championship level this season....well, at the very least it was a difficult choice, and, being one of those who saw McE do OK, probably the right one.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 23:45:31 »

15 shots, 9 on target, 60% possession, 11 corners. the highlights the bbc have put together are a load of shite.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 00:15:41 »

Great day out overall, shame about the result...

enjoyed the green man, the decision to have a Jerk BBQ on was inspired, 10 times better than some shite old burger. Ale on in the bar too, nice have a Doombar instead of that Tetleys piss for £4.50 in the stadium...Talking of ale...anyone had that Red Army stuff from arkells? seemed to be just 3B's with a different label on the pump to me....unless thats exactly what the Angel at Purton were actually doing...still, only good for a good clear out of the bowels the following morning.  Hmmm

As for the match, a 2-0 scoreline was completely deceiving. The fact that we had to put one in the back of the net for them before having to leave the arse end of the team hanging out at 90+3 speaks volumes. As a few others have said, if Risser hadn't of netted for them, it would probably have been 0-0 at 90 minutes. I don't think Chesterfield deserved to win as such but didn't deserve to lose, fair play to them for keeping us mostly shut out, they obviously did their homework on the wings defensively.

Surprised to see Holmes (I still prefer Homles..) getting quite a bit of stick for wasting chances and poor delivery. He wasn't great at all, but looked the only player that could create something after having the ball pinged to him (superbly in the first half) by Ferry.

If Connell's chance had been the other way round with Connell delivering the ball to Benson, I reckon we'd have gone 1-0 up at that moment. shame for Connell, definitely had more time than he realised, although can see why he went for the volley that he did, that ball seemed to take an age to drop.

Gutted for Risser and the OG, after the last few games evidently getting into some good form and confidence, for that to happen to him. I thought he played reasonably up until that point...didnt miss out on many headers lumped up by the chesterfield defence and midfield.

Evidently missed Caddis massively. Also a bit miffed at the praise for McEverly...i thought he was abject at best. Not sure if it was because i noticed him making a few mistakes in the second half which caused me to focus on him more, but he didn't get forward as much as Cibbo or Kennedy does and in the second half especially looked lazy and slow to me...the amount of times i saw him stood still watching the ball fly over his head behind him and then slowly turning and halfheartedly chasing the defender that got ahead of him annoyed me massively. Not sure if that was fatigue, poor reading of the ball or just laziness.

Final thought for Westcarr...what a little shite, didnt realise how brutal his attack on Devera was until i saw it this morning, definitely shouldn't have been on the pitch to score their second. Them down to 10 men for the final 10 minutes could've been crucial.

Oh well, as long as we go on and win the league now....Paolo definitely needs to get working on a plan B for situations like Sunday.
Spud

« Reply #352 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 00:37:59 »

I think what we do need next season is a big striker who can impose physically next in the Constable/Paynter mould when we can't break down teams.

And there I was thinking we already had that in Paul Benson?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 06:49:30 »

And there I was thinking we already had that in Paul Benson?
I don't think Benson's that sort of player at all. To me, him and Connell are too similar. Send for The Beast aka Jon Parkin Yes

Edit: In fact, just to add to that, I've not seen loads of games live this season but when I have (Leicester, Cheltenham at home and Sunday) it's been screaming out to me that a big physical striker is exactly what we need. If we'd had one, we would have looked a different team on Sunday and in the other two games mentioned, no doubt about it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 07:10:26 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 07:25:24 »

Anyone see Late Kick Off last night? Murty being quite kind to us.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 08:14:25 »

Anyone see Late Kick Off last night? Murty being quite kind to us.

Recorded it. Was it a "behind the scenes" look at the Wembley trip?
Flashheart

« Reply #356 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 14:49:20 »

This

This loss has no bearing on this squad's readiness for next season in the slightest. If anything our performances against league 1 teams is something we should be very much encourage by.

Why does this defeat, in which we did not play as well as we can, nullify our victories over higher league clubs?

It's a bit like saying we lost to Oxford so we aren't good enough for promotion.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 14:52:31 by Flashheart » Logged
REDBUCK

« Reply #357 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 15:02:54 »

I don't think Benson's that sort of player at all. To me, him and Connell are too similar. Send for The Beast aka Jon Parkin Yes

Edit: In fact, just to add to that, I've not seen loads of games live this season but when I have (Leicester, Cheltenham at home and Sunday) it's been screaming out to me that a big physical striker is exactly what we need. If we'd had one, we would have looked a different team on Sunday and in the other two games mentioned, no doubt about it.
REDBUCK

« Reply #358 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 15:04:34 »

Hint - Go and see more live games then, maybe the 20+ we've won without a big lump up front.
Kodd.

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 18:06:13 »

Disappointed.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: