Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Vs Torquay Official Matchday Thread  (Read 35323 times)
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 22:48:11 »

A bit of a nervy first 15/20 minutes, but once we settled, it was a good team performance and in the second half there was only one team in it.  Delighted to see Connell start and he certainly made the most of the opportunity, worked his socks off front start to finish even being lefton for the full 90 mins. Ferry and Smith were superb in midfield tonight, Ferry ran the show and Smith broke up the play.  Defence did well particularly since Devera and Risser weren't in their natural positions.

Torquay played some good football, but never really threatened the goal.  You can see why they've won a lot of games 1-0.  I expect them to still be thereabouts at the end of the season.

The gap increases again and a Wembley Final awaits.  Superb stuff.  Roll on Sunday!!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 22:49:47 »

Defence looked a lot better for Devera at right back and McCormack in the middle, it must be said. Devera doesn't get forward like Caddis does (you could see Ritchie waiting for overlaps that weren't coming a few times) but he does the job defensively.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #347 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 22:53:32 »

A great result and a great second half performance. There were a lot of good performances tonight but i'm glad Risser got MOM - a great headed clearnace in the 1st half and a pretty faultless second half. Tehoue did a couple of things very well and looked better than v Nam.
For probably the first time this season I'd like to say well done ref - hardly noticed him and he kept the game flowing and i can't remember any cards.
I'm really looking forward to Wembley now that we've got this out of the way.  
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #348 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 22:54:45 »

and their number 10 would look good in a Town shirt - very tidy player
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 22:55:24 »

Great game, we looked back to our best in the second half - totally dominated. Connell worked his socks off and with a bit more luck he could've had 2 or 3 easily.

Risser was a defensive rock at the back, fitting that he should score a thumping header in front of the Town End with Shaun Taylor watching on.

Holmes created merry hell down the left, quality all round.

What made this a better performance was getting the right combinations together again - Connell - Benson and JSmithTM - Ferry. All we need is Caddis - Ritchie back together...

I'm so stoked about Wembley now, we're going there with a full head of steam. Plus I missed the playoff final due to a mates wedding so this will be first visit to the new 'home of football'

Bring it on!
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 23:00:28 »

Can someone else please come on and say that we were shakey for 15-20 mins then dominated.

27 times isn't enough
DRS

« Reply #351 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 23:02:01 »

Shall they lie then?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 23:02:44 »

Just to check, did Juddie say hello to jeremy isaacs on his commentary?

Never knowingly overstated.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 23:03:17 »

Is that Jason's brother?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #354 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 23:03:44 »

no, he said we were shaky for the first 15 - 20 then dominated
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 23:04:27 »

Is that Jason's brother?
Oh yeah, Jason Isaacs.

Never knowingly overstated.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 23:04:32 »

Fair assessment I think from Torquay

Went tonight.

Thought we made a good start, with lots of posession. Unfortunately, this didn't lead to any real chances and Swindon started to gain some confidence. Some quick attacks from them had us rattled, and from then on they were always in the ascendency. The goal came at the wrong time, a soft looking goal conceded from a corner.

2nd half saw much of the same, with them looking dangerous and us struggling to keep up. Their second goal killed it, and from then on it was a question of how much they would win by. Credit to us for keeping it respectable, but this was an easy 2-0 for them in the end. Don't really remember their keeper having a save to make all game, although Howe put a good shift in.

Good atmosphere, with banter between the two sets of fans. Got the feeling that this was a game too far after two long trips on the road though. Swindon looked a typical lower league promotion side - nothing incredibly spectacular, but strong and assured all over the pitch.

Let's hope we can get back on track against Port Vale at home on Saturday. We were still trying to stroke it around, and it's great to see how Ling has made his mark on the way the team play.

£25 was a f*cking joke though. No half time cig, huge queue for a coffee and stuck in the corner. Hard to come away feeling good about Swindon after that

http://torquayfansforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=matchday&action=display&thread=9320&page=3

And at least they haven't said it was an off day, and they're the best team in the league etc

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
deltaincline

« Reply #357 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 23:08:16 »

Critical game tonight and we breezed it.

Just a couple of random thoughts;

For all the neat passing and approach play, Torquay created very little in terms of threatening our goal. Decent side, but found wanting against us tonight.

Ferry and Smith pulled the strings down the middle once they got going properly and Holmes was the major difference on the left, as he brought back some much needed balance. If he stays fit and keeps on delivering quality balls into the box, I can't see Rooney starting another match this season.

Very solid at the back. Happy for JD and OR. Both have taken dogs abuse at times, but kept at it. Both look like starters at Wembley now, which is fucking brilliant for them - considering the dodgy start they made to the season.

Tahoue looked good and well up for it when he came on as well.

Massive 3 points tonight. Well done all:-)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 23:23:01 »

Enjoyed tonight....great management by Paolo regarding Connell,he was gagging for it Wink
Thought Rene Howe was quality for them....good player.
My MOM...........Connell tonight for me.
Roll on Sunday i cannot wait.
Great Atmosphere in the Town End tonight.
dave_bambers_right_sock

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 23:36:22 »

Who's being interviewed ??

He mentioned the Townend forum.

Twas me, Shaun Hodgetts wouldn't allow me to call you all a bunch of cunts, something about family show   ....cunt
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: