Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TEF Help Squad  (Read 3041 times)
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 22:20:06 »

So far I've got

-Made immigration easier as a result of the Schengen agreement
-Allows more extreme parties to have more of a say in the European Parliament
-Affects internal balance of power as new members bring different ideas to the table
-Reform of EU institutions to cope with influx of new member states

1) That depends, many countries kept restrictions on immigration after enlargement and other countries, particularly France suspend the Schengen agreement as and when they see fit.

2) If you suggest that there is the possibility that more MEP seats means more chance of extremist parties having an opportunity to jump and down and shout lots in what's essentially a talking shop (EU Parliament) then maybe you're right. As for having more of a say in EU Governance forget it.

3) You're joking right? Internal balance of power is Germany and France - more Germany at the moment - particularly with the Euro crisis. All other countries are basically told to either take it or leave it.

4) I presume you're using the word reform in the loosest possible term?

Hope that helps

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 22:20:59 »

This is a godsend!

How long have you been a student?  JSTOR is the best and only place to find the best academic articles.  You could also do what some of us did at university - go to the library and read some books.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #32 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 22:22:33 »

Is Athens (not the City but the web thingymagig) still going?
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 22:25:49 »

Yeah we use Athens here I think.

Coca Fola

« Reply #34 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 22:28:37 »

1) That depends, many countries kept restrictions on immigration after enlargement and other countries, particularly France suspend the Schengen agreement as and when they see fit.

2) If you suggest that there is the possibility that more MEP seats means more chance of extremist parties having an opportunity to jump and down and shout lots in what's essentially a talking shop (EU Parliament) then maybe you're right. As for having more of a say in EU Governance forget it.

3) You're joking right? Internal balance of power is Germany and France - more Germany at the moment - particularly with the Euro crisis. All other countries are basically told to either take it or leave it.

4) I presume you're using the word reform in the loosest possible term?

Hope that helps

That shows how much I know about the subject tbh. Nothing.  Cheesy
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 22:29:45 »

I have a 2500 word essay (not a practice one) to do and the question is -   How has breast enlargement changed the European Union?

Thanks in advance.

I've slightly amended the essay topic to make the research slightly more interesting. Hope this helps.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 22:47:34 »

That shows how much I know about the subject tbh. Nothing.  Cheesy

Cheesy If it were me writing it, I would go along the lines of that the Nice Treaty (I presume that's the one you're talking about) was merely an excuse for further EU integration - basically laid the groundwork for the subsequent Constitution / Lisbon Treaty. That's how the EU works; salami tactics - each treaty has always meant that EU countries integrate a little further and give up more and more sovereignty. Enlargement is always used as an excuse as in return existing countries are required give up more of their vetos and so diminish their power within the EU.

Exactly the same excuse was used in 1969 when Britain, Ireland and Denmark were set to join the original Community of Six – when Pompidou used enlargement as the excuse for establishing the original EEC budget, on which relied the very generous CAP payments that French farmers were going to enjoy.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 22:50:15 »

Cheesy If it were me writing it, I would go along the lines of that the Nice Treaty (I presume that's the one you're talking about) was merely an excuse for further EU integration - basically laid the groundwork for the subsequent Constitution / Lisbon Treaty. That's how the EU works; salami tactics - each treaty has always meant that EU countries integrate a little further and give up more and more sovereignty. Enlargement is always used as an excuse as in return existing countries are required give up more of their vetos and so diminish their power within the EU.

Exactly the same excuse was used in 1969 when Britain, Ireland and Denmark were set to join the original Community of Six – when Pompidou used enlargement as the excuse for establishing the original EEC budget, on which relied the very generous CAP payments that French farmers were going to enjoy.

He needs at least another 2300 words I'd say
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 08:27:46 »

Yeah, we use Athens here...

Try Cambridge Journals Online too if (as I suspect) your uni has a subscription there too

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 08:40:41 »

Log on to your Uni's network and search using google scholar. Anything your uni has subscribed to you'll be able to read.

Things get better but they never get good
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 08:42:01 »

Whilst I'd broadly agree don't think that is as much the case as it was. The Germans have been forced to backstop the bailouts of the peripheral countries in the last six months in the form of billions of euros of government bond purchases, to the point where their potential liabilities from Italy, Greece etc make up a massive percentage of their own GDP. The IMF and the European Central Bank have forced them into adopting this much looser monetary policy than they'd like meaning both the German members of the ECB executive board quit in protest last year.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: