Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: fabrice muamba  (Read 24765 times)
DMR

« Reply #120 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:04:25 »

Yes. I pay my taxes so shit like this get locked up and as he's admitted the offence so minimal time will be taken up by the courts.

But I'm sure if he's not in court taking up the time I'm sure there's a OAP who hasnt paid their council tax who could be dealt with instead.

You could quite easily justify the argument that the dithering old cunt who isn't paying their council tax is causing more tangible damage than one bloke spouting off on Twitter...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:05:26 »

Utterly ridiculous (not you Samdy). The bloke's clearly an utter gobshite and deserves to be exposed, vilified and publicly humiliated. But does this really merit taking up the police's and courts' time? Really?

Yes and no.

In isolation this case is a pointless waste of time and money. The press exposure and no doubt being thrown out of uni is more than enough punishment.

But it depends if you believe making an example of him will make others think twice about what they post on social network sites. There have been cases where bullying has caused the victims enough distress to kill themselves.  There have been cases where murder victims families have been directly taunted.

If doing this stops the above it could be claimed it was worthwhile. Personally I think the ends does not justify the means in this case.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:06:59 »

Yes. I pay my taxes so shit like this get locked up and as he's admitted the offence so minimal time will be taken up by the courts.

But I'm sure if he's not in court taking up the time I'm sure there's a OAP who hasnt paid their council tax who could be dealt with instead.
The courts won't have time to deal with anyone if they're going to start prosecuting everyone who's been an offensive arsehole online. I'd rather they went after actual criminals.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:10:19 »

Yes and no.

In isolation this case is a pointless waste of time and money. The press exposure and no doubt being thrown out of uni is more than enough punishment.

But it depends if you believe making an example of him will make others think twice about what they post on social network sites. There have been cases where bullying has caused the victims enough distress to kill themselves.  There have been cases where murder victims families have been directly taunted.

If doing this stops the above it could be claimed it was worthwhile. Personally I think the ends does not justify the means in this case
Yes but this isn't one of those cases. It's just the coppers pre-empting the "Something must be done" headlines.
Dozno9

« Reply #124 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:10:35 »

You could quite easily justify the argument that the dithering old cunt who isn't paying their council tax is causing more tangible damage than one bloke spouting off on Twitter...

You could but when HMRC spend c.£3m on taking Redknapp to court in order to recoup a fraction of that amount I think morality has taken over from the pure economic damage done by an individual.
Dozno9

« Reply #125 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:12:12 »

The courts won't have time to deal with anyone if they're going to start prosecuting everyone who's been an offensive arsehole online. I'd rather they went after actual criminals.

He is a criminal, he's commited and admitted a criminal offence, whats an "actual criminal"? Maybe the old bill should have a league table of crimes to see which ones are worth bothering with after receiving a complaint.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:14:14 by Azza » Logged
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:15:13 »

He is a criminal, he's commited and admitted a criminal offence, whats an "actual criminal"? Maybe the old bill should have a league table of crimes to see which ones are worth bothering with?

They already do that, try getting burgled or indeed have a disabled wife that's abused in the street

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:15:37 »

He is a criminal, he's commited a criminal offence, whats an "actual criminal"?
He's alleged to have committed a criminal offence. Or more to the point, he's accused of being criminally offensive.

What he's actually done is got a whole load of people's backs up by being an insenstive little turd. And very little more. It's hardly riot, murder or theft is it?
Dozno9

« Reply #128 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:18:26 »

They have a reporting catagory which have different times of response and processing, every complaint must be investigated (or should be!).

Given the nature of the publicity given they had to be seen to do something but I don't subscribe to the belief that because some see racial abuse as a minor crime its shouldn't be processed through the correct channels and just binned off for the sake of it.
Dozno9

« Reply #129 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:20:22 »

He's alleged to have committed a criminal offence. Or more to the point, he's accused of being criminally offensive.

What he's actually done is got a whole load of people's backs up by being an insenstive little turd. And very little more. It's hardly riot, murder or theft is it?

He's been charged and he's admitted it, there's no alleged about it. No it's not a riot or murder so should the old bill and courts only be there for those crimes then?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:32:02 »

I think I and others find it a bit daft that some throwaway comments, albeit deeply offensive ones, on a social networking site are treated as a criminal offence at all. If he was clearly deliberately inciting racial hatred or had approached Muamba's relatives in the street, I could kind of see the point, but as it was, it's just some dickhead being provocative for the sake of it and getting a bigger rise than he expected. It's like jailing those kids who said "Yeah, come and riot in my quiet Cheshire suburb" last summer for four years, it's completely over the top. The bloke's an arsehole, he deserves vilification and humiliation not prosecution. But I suspect this is a bit of a Marmite issue, so perhaps let's leave it there for now?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #131 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:33:41 »

Just drop the cunt off at St Pauls on a friday / Saturday night and let Darwin do the rest.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:36:27 »

If he gets banged up, you could start a campaign....like the old George Davis is innocent. (He wasn't)
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 17:44:55 »

Muamba is apparantly talking again, friends of him have said according to Sky.
König

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 18:00:33 »

Would a person who went so long with out getting oxygen to the brain more than likely suffer some sort of brain damage?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: