Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dear clever people.....  (Read 2279 times)
Flashheart

« on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 12:06:30 »

If I update the BIOS on a lappy, is it just like updating a driver or do I have to start from scratch again with a new OS install etc.

Cheers
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 12:28:51 »

What are you changing? BIOS isnt something you want to play with unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 12:36:41 »

But to answer the question if it works everything is the same as before (OS/apps unaffected).

If it goes wrong, which is rare but not impossible, you are left with a door stop until you find someone that can replace your BIOS 'chip' Smiley
Flashheart

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 12:36:45 »

Needs to be done. Faulty fan speed on a hp dv2000, hp released a new bios for this very reason.
calumscott

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 13:37:44 »

1) Download BIOS updater
2) Run BIOS updater to the point where it asks if you really want to do it
3) Clench
4) Tighter
5) Hit OK
6) Wait
7) a) Success:  Unclench, carry on.
7) b) Fail: Unclench, hit things.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 13:41:45 »

Easy peasy mate, download it to a usb stick boot to usb stick restart machine, no need for any new install of anything at all in any way.

Make sure its plugged into the mains while its done though.

Takes 2 mins.

I have probably done over 100 bios updates and never (touch wood) had one go bad.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 13:51:58 by JJEdmunds » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 13:50:37 »

I updated the bios on a laptop the other day. Everything went OK, just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter or you might brick the laptop. When you boot up it says press del or one of the function keys to enter bios, it varies with manufacturer. Find the bios updater and go for it.

Edit: for your notebook you can do it from the operating system

To install the latest version of the BIOS for your notebook, follow the instructions below. You may want to print the instructions prior to the installation.

NOTE: It is recommended that the notebook PC is connected with an AC adapter and connected to the Internet via an Ethernet cable as interruptions in power or wireless connections may result in the download failing to install.

1. Open a browser and go to the HP Software & Drivers web site.
2. On the Support & Drivers page, type the model number in the Search field and then press Enter .
3. Select the operating system currently installed on the notebook.
4. In the BIOS section, click WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS . The Version should be listed as the one identified in the table above or later.
5. Click the Download only button on the page to begin the download of the BIOS update. Save the file to a convenient folder on the PC.
6. Double-click the downloaded file to start the installation. Follow all prompts and restart the notebook when requested by the installation. Do not turn off the notebook until prompted to do so.

Sounds easy enough
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 13:55:45 by Pete » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 13:53:38 »

Thanks folks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: