Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Do We Need Another Parkin, Mooney or Cox to Ensure Promotion Next Year?  (Read 6090 times)
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 15:14:20 »

I do like the sound of Rooney sat behind Benson with Holmes on the left and Ritchie on the right, or Ritchie behind Benson with Rooney on the right.

It is a variation away from the 4-4-2 that Paolo likes to play though, would he be willing to change the formation this late in the season when it has been doing so well for us until now?

Are Rooney/Ritchie capable of playing in that role? yes they have the ability thats not in doubt but do they have the right footballing brain to be able to adapt to the new role.

Of them all I feel Ritchie would relish being given a free role behind a striker.

Agree with this. Although didn't Paolo say earlier in the season he thought Ritchie had too much of a free role last year?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 15:20:08 »

Agree with this. Although didn't Paolo say earlier in the season he thought Ritchie had too much of a free role last year?
I am unable to comment on that as I didn't hear him say it but it does sound like a Paolo comment, he does like players to have a role that they stick to and follow during the game, you only have to see how Kerrouche has been treated for not following instruction to see that Paolo does not seem to be a fan of "roaming" on the pitch.

I doubt it will happen but the thought of accomodating Holmes, Rooney and Ritchie in the team is a mouthwatering prospect.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 15:46:55 »

I appreciate Benson and Connell are different players although there isn't a huge difference. i think both would bag goals galore as a pair given a run. Who knows how Connell would have done if he was playing regularly? He hasn't had the pitch time in succession Benson has to build up momentum. I like his hold up and linking play plus he can score goals. He's also decent with his head considering he isn't the biggest.

I don't really have a problem with what the boss does as he is getting results,i just don't think Connell has had a fair crack. Di canio has always looked for a reason not to play him when i think it should be vice versa.
If he'd had a run in the side and not done well then i could agree with it,but he doesn't do alot wrong imo and on occasions gets dropped after playing really well. Ditto getting subbed when looking a threat.

I think he deserves alot of credit for the way he has conducted himself and played well when given a chance, as many a player would have had enough by now. It can hardly boost confidence(which is the biggest factor in playing well)when you are in and out of the team and squad so much.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 15:48:54 by arriba » Logged
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 16:11:09 »

I think Connell will suprise a few,i reckon he will be here next season and i reckon he will play and score goals,like he has done this season.
His fitness means at times he looks shattered after 70 mins or so and i reckon Paolo will keep him as a back up player....and a good one at that.
And i still think he will play and score a few more this season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 17:46:45 »

Depends which division we're in...I've seen 2 promotions from Div 4, and each time the goals were shared around a bit, don't think anyone scoring more than Charlie Henry's 18 from midfield.

So if we're still in Div 4 it's probably not that important....I've seen 4 elevations from Div 3, and 3 or 4 near misses, and each time we've had a couple of high scoring strikers...even if they may have not been in a conventional 4-4-2.

Which would suggest that we'll need similar next season if back in Div 3.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 18:35:27 »

Ironically, given the title of the thread, I would love us to sign Parkin - Jon Parkin.

He looks like a pub player, is pretty dirty and built like a brick shit house. He would be perfect - and he has a decent scoring record at L1 and above.

I know he wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but I think he is the physical presence which we have been lacking and Paolo seems to crave. When I say 'lacking', it's all relative but he would improve us I believe. A good example would be Leicester in the Cup where we were a good match for them in all areas bar the final third where, frankly, their defenders were better than our strikers.

Nothing against Benson or Connell but I think if you had put Parkin (or even better, Darius Henderson, but I would accept he is out of our reach at the moment) alongside either one of those two  then you would have had a different outcome.

As a club, you have to look at where you can improve. You can never say, I think we're fine as we are. You have to constantly evolve and improve and if you stand still, you end up going backwards (I think I read that on a beer mat once).
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 19:41:18 »

I as you all know would like the chappie from Barnet......still. Grin
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 19:49:32 »

I think we will definitely need to sign a good striker to be in the mix for promotion next season.
We've more than got by this season because we've been so much better than most teams that we have been able to afford not to convert shedloads of chances that we've had.
To win consistently at L1 I think we'll need to have a better striker than the likes of Connell who is perfectly adequate for L2 but not the standard needed for next season.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: