Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee Homles  (Read 33582 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:13:19 »

Saw a post on the Gills match day topic that made reference to Holmes having been disappointing. I hadn't said anything before, but I had been wondering whether bringing him in had been a backwards step? Prior to his arrival, it sounded from matchday commentary, that we had a pretty good balance of options on the left with Rooney being creative and a bit of a handful and DeVita being workmanlike and generally effective - Although potentially missing that spark of threat.

Then, the Oxford game happened and Holmes sounded as if he tore us a new arsehole in patches. That, combined with the spell that he put in at the club a few years ago, excited most of us when he was signed on loan.

However, in the Chesterfield game, what I saw was that he looked predictable, and after the defence had worked him out he quickly lost impact and then faded from the game. What I have heard on commentary, suggests he does some pretty things or has a wayward blast or two. But he doesn't sound a great threat. Added to that is the fact that Rooney seems to have gone off the boil and also seems to have dropped down the pecking order a bit - Something happen in training? Was it a gentlemen's agreement that he wasn't involved today?

When Holmes was asked after the game whether he want to stay, he suggested that he was waiting for the club to contact him. I found myself thinking that I was glad that the club hasnt jumped too soon - Something that I wouldn't have thought I'd say when the loan was announced.

Am I way off the mark here?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:25:23 »

Saw a post on the Gills match day topic that made reference to Holmes having been disappointing. I hadn't said anything before, but I had been wondering whether bringing him in had been a backwards step? Prior to his arrival, it sounded from matchday commentary, that we had a pretty good balance of options on the left with Rooney being creative and a bit of a handful and DeVita being workmanlike and generally effective - Although potentially missing that spark of threat.

Then, the Oxford game happened and Holmes sounded as if he tore us a new arsehole in patches. That, combined with the spell that he put in at the club a few years ago, excited most of us when he was signed on loan.

However, in the Chesterfield game, what I saw was that he looked predictable, and after the defence had worked him out he quickly lost impact and then faded from the game. What I have heard on commentary, suggests he does some pretty things or has a wayward blast or two. But he doesn't sound a great threat. Added to that is the fact that Rooney seems to have gone off the boil and also seems to have dropped down the pecking order a bit - Something happen in training? Was it a gentlemen's agreement that he wasn't involved today?

When Holmes was asked after the game whether he want to stay, he suggested that he was waiting for the club to contact him. I found myself thinking that I was glad that the club hasnt jumped too soon - Something that I wouldn't have thought I'd say when the loan was announced.

Am I way off the mark here?

You have a point, but perhaps his lengthy injury issues and not really settling at one club for too long are something that can be worked on with a decent pre season under PDC? I see glimpses of Holmes at times and think he is fantastic, other times he is somewhat predictable, much like Rooney (he was out because of the gentlemans agreement, and was dropped from the matchday squad for last weekends shenanigans).

I think Holmes and Rooney are both in need of learning to mix there game up a bit, Rooney in particular, you can read his cut inside like a book and seems to miss playing the obvious ball quite often.

i do think Holmes will be an asset in League 1, and beyond that too, and if we dont sign him you can guarantee he will sign for Bournemouth and score against us home and away.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:28:01 »

I think Holmes has done better than Rooney

Things get better but they never get good
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:33:27 »

I think Holmes has done better than Rooney

Agreed, does Rooney run the risk of ending up a Kentish version of Anthony McNamee?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:37:23 »

I wonder whether Rooney is the type of player that doesn't do well when there is competition for his place?

Or is he just crap?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:37:39 »

Agreed, does Rooney run the risk of ending up a Kentish version of Anthony McNamee?
Not yet, he hasnt become an 'up his own arse 'I'm too big for this club, I'll play in the reserves for a bigger club' cunt'.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #246 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:43:52 »

I wouldn't sign Holmes. I think we can do better. He's got fuck all pace, waits for the ball instead of attacking it, can't shoot and his delivery isn't great. I see a footballer on his way out. He's not had a good game for us since he's been back.
We'll need better next season.
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:45:55 »

I wouldn't sign Holmes. I think we can do better. He's got fuck all pace, waits for the ball instead of attacking it, can't shoot and his delivery isn't great. I see a footballer on his way out. He's not had a good game for us since he's been back.
We'll need better next season.

I disagree. I think he's a little predictable at times but is definitely a good league one level. He's shown glimpses of what he can do, I wasn't so sure of him at Chesterfield, but recently he seems to be doing okay. Not when he's on the right wing though.

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #248 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:47:15 »

I disagree. I think he's a little predictable at times but is definitely a good league one level. He's shown glimpses of what he can do, I wasn't so sure of him at Chesterfield, but recently he seems to be doing okay. Not when he's on the right wing though.
He was fucking shite today on the left
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:48:12 »

He was fucking shite today on the left

Everyone was shit apart from Bostock today by most accounts.

LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:50:19 »

I actually think I prefer Rooney... he offers that something different, and has scored and assisted a fair few in his cameos - if he can be more consistent and put in top effort every game he'll be a real asset. I'm not slating Homles, but i have been slightly disappointed by his contribution.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:53:06 »

Rooney has already contributed to this season, and will prove to be a good signing next season.  I expect Holmes will, too.  Wingers always split opinions, but to compare to McNamee?  Very unfair, imho.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #252 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:53:18 »

Most were shit but from numerous games this season we know a lot of players aren't shite. A lot have proved themselves at this level. Some i believe will be good enough at a higher level. Holmes has not yet proved himself at this level and i see nothing to siggest he can performa a level above - and no, he din;t tear us another arsehole at Scumland.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:57:35 »

Rooney has already contributed to this season, and will prove to be a good signing next season.  I expect Holmes will, too.  Wingers always split opinions, but to compare to McNamee?  Very unfair, imho.

I think the point was more he could end up a bit of a one trick pony, such as McNamee
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 22:58:51 »

I think the point was more he could end up a bit of a one trick pony, such as McNamee
Ah, OK.  I think he's young enough for that not to happen, I thought McNamee was mid 20s when we signed him.  Cue someone showing Rooney was actually a week older than McNamee when we signed them...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: