Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cheltenham Vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 44272 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:18:44 »

The referee was a hopeless case who needs to sit down, grow a pair and study the rulebook - never a penalty, inconsistent bookings, failed to comprehend the advantage rule and what happened at the end with Devera and Risser? Was allowing them to stay on an act of kindness or apology for the penalty decision? Strange.

Funny isn't it? I thought it was a penalty at the time and I've watched it a couple of times on the FL Show and I still think it was. And from what I've seen on here and even on a Cheltenham forum, it would appear that the ref was right in not making Risser and Devera go off after the clash of heads.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:24:47 »

Funny isn't it? I thought it was a penalty at the time and I've watched it a couple of times on the FL Show and I still think it was. And from what I've seen on here and even on a Cheltenham forum, it would appear that the ref was right in not making Risser and Devera go off after the clash of heads.
Both players were fouling one another and similar decisions went against us at their end as well.

Just read the post regarding that rule which clears things up nicely Smiley
Spencer_White

« Reply #407 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:29:41 »

I find it quite interesting that Oxford average roughly the same as us given the geographical locality between us both, the fact they were non-league for many years and the number of Town fans in Oxfordshire. Do they get a lot of fans from outside of Oxfordshire?

Outside of Oxfordshire? Dont be daft.

Id say they do have a good % of the local populations of East Oxford and Abingdon supporting them to be fair. More concentrated support. If we had the same sort of % fans/population out of Swindon then we would get 20k a week. We should blow them out of the water really. Maybe it will happen if the ground gets redeveloped like it did for Reading. Doubt it though.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:32:50 »

Did anyone see to 30-40 year old mascot yesterday? 

It must have been a dare.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:35:07 »

It must have been a dare.

Aaah, that explains the tweets joking with Ferry that they wanted to see the highlights of him holding the hand of an adult masscot.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:43:52 »

Outside of Oxfordshire? Dont be daft.

Id say they do have a good % of the local populations of East Oxford and Abingdon supporting them to be fair. More concentrated support. If we had the same sort of % fans/population out of Swindon then we would get 20k a week. We should blow them out of the water really. Maybe it will happen if the ground gets redeveloped like it did for Reading. Doubt it though.

The present day county of O*fordshire, is a recent bastardisation of boundaries, by the Heath government of 74.

For a good thousand years previously places like Abingdon were in the noble county of Berkshire, birth-place of Alfred the Great.  Then Oxfordshire got no closer to Wiltshire, than somewhere like Kelmscott.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:54:45 »

The present day county of O*fordshire, is a recent bastardisation of boundaries, by the Heath government of 74.

For a good thousand years previously places like Abingdon were in the noble county of Berkshire, birth-place of Alfred the Great.  Then Oxfordshire got no closer to Wiltshire, than somewhere like Kelmscott.
Was Faringdon in Berkshire then Reg?  Just that I find it very strange that the headquarters of the Bucks and Berks FA is actually based in Faringdon, which is now in Oxfordshire!!
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:55:43 »

We weren't at our best, but it was a vital win for us.

They defended well, their full backs had our wingers in their pockets for 90 minutes. We looked tired and i'm very glad we don't have a game on Tuesday.

Fods and Devera were our best players. Duffy was a cunt as well.

I saw someone having a word with one of the Cheltenham staff as he walked up the DRS, making some diving impressions, the guy looked pretty pissed off, i'm going to assume that was Posh Red  Smiley
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:55:55 »

Faringdon has been passed between counties a few times if I'm correct
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 11:00:25 »

Both players were fouling one another and similar decisions went against us at their end as well.

Just read the post regarding that rule which clears things up nicely Smiley
I'm a bit shit on the rules of football beyond throw ins, goal kicks, corners etc (and I think most fans are if they are perfectly honest). I did think 'oh dear, we're going to have to defend the last corner of the game without our two centre backs, we're a bit fucked' and was very relieved to see that they were able to stay on.

On the subject of officials ineptitude, I just remembered an incident in the second half where Benson absolutely cleared out McGlashan right in front of us. He didn't get near the ball and McGlashan went about two feet in the air. The lino flagged but play went on and they never came back to it. It was a blatant yellow for Benson.

Then again, minutes before that he gave a free kick against Cibbocci in a really good position for Cheltenham for what looked like a perfectly good challenge. So on that occasion those two bits of numbskullery cancelled each other out.
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 11:01:54 »

Faringdon was in B
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 11:05:36 »

And they're still not happy about it - particularly losing the White Horse

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 11:07:49 »

Reg - Having spent all my school years in Wantage I think the residents of that good town would contest your fact of Alfred the Great being born in Abingdon, there is actually a bloody great statue in the market square in Wantage to commemorate him.
Sade

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 11:08:58 »

We played pretty crap throughout the second half. There were a few spells of quality, but Cheltenham were a good side and I honestly thought that by the full time whistle it would be 1-1. Fotheringham was absolute class, made some brill saves. He was definately worth a tweet last night!! I see Cheltenham fans are very bitter though. Seen comments such as Paolo is a discrace to football & Swindon are a very very lucky side yesterday and to be 1st in league 2. Yeh because we have been lucky all season!! I suppose they have been great all season too hence their loss to Morecambe. I guess a good side also will battle to hold on to a victory even when playing not so good, and we did what we had to do yesterday. Job done.

RED ARMY
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 11:12:02 »

Faringdon was in Berkshire as was Wantage, Abingdon (only just ) and Didcot. And to confirm that the mighty Hagbourne's and Harwell was a good catchment for loyal STFC support. We generally got out numbered by Pox and Reading fans.  Smiley    
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: