Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Beer and Booze Thread  (Read 13593 times)
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 09:59:29 »

No idea if we have one already, but felt the need to start an alcohol related thread. Have had a couple of nice beers today....

First one is a Badger beer called Golden Glory- A very morish refreshing floral ale, would be lovely in the summer. Can taste a hint of peach.

Second one is a Castle Rock Beer called Harvest Pale- a lovely refreshing ale that I tried at the castle rock brewery but is now available at tesco.

Anyone on here have some good recommendations?

Golden glory is a lovely beer, once of my favourites... but I am sure camra purists would shudder at thought that it contains a distainct peachy element...
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #16 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 10:56:17 »

If you like dark beers and are prepared to drink slowly then Chimay Blue is a must

Have you ever tried Westvleteren beers from Belgium? Most complex beers I’ve ever tasted at 8, 10 and 12 degree strengths. Not easy to get hold of, best bet is to go to the monastery in Flanders and if they’re not open try the cafe across the road.

You can have a wonderful day in the Flanders area – beers from the monastery, a wander around Ypres with a fascinating museum all about WW1 (and a full range of Belgian beer delights in the town), drive out to a couple of the battle sites and finish off with a visit to the Menin Gate memorial and the daily parade at 8pm which really is moving. Ideal if you have kids studying WW1.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/events/menin-gate-last-post-ceremony.htm
phelpsieboy

« Reply #17 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 11:16:16 »

White Lightning and Frosty Jacks  Pint
china red

« Reply #18 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 11:41:20 »

Actually I heard an interesting way to make flavoured and coloured vodka from a Swedish guy the other day.  Buy some skittles, take out the colour/flavour of your choice.  Put them in the almost full vodka bottle, close it and then put through a cycle in the dish washer. 
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #19 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 12:59:53 »

Was drinking Tribute Ale and Cornish Rattler cider in Cornwall last week, great stuff.
Went to a Cyder farm and bought a couple of bottles of Scrumpy, which didn't last long though.

Was that Healeys Cyder Farm at penhallow mate? they do some loverly stuff, on par with my local rough scrumpy at Perrys cider farm about 2 miles from my house, I pay about £1 a pint for mine. http://www.perryscider.co.uk/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 13:04:11 »

Actually I heard an interesting way to make flavoured and coloured vodka from a Swedish guy the other day.  Buy some skittles, take out the colour/flavour of your choice.  Put them in the almost full vodka bottle, close it and then put through a cycle in the dish washer. 

Take out the green ones first though
Freddies Ferret

« Reply #21 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 13:09:22 »

I really fancy a nice pint of guinness! Always loved it Smiley
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 13:18:15 »

Was that Healeys Cyder Farm at penhallow mate? they do some loverly stuff, on par with my local rough scrumpy at Perrys cider farm about 2 miles from my house, I pay about £1 a pint for mine. http://www.perryscider.co.uk/

Yeah, that's the one, popped in on our way back from Newquay to St Ives. Was really surprised at how big the shop was, it was busy too!

Should've bought more than I did really, oh well.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 13:32:04 »

I always go to that cider farm when in cornwall. Was great when the kids were small with tractor rides etc. Kept them happy whilst i loaded up with scrumpy.
Freddies Ferret

« Reply #24 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 14:14:41 »

Ok what is the most expensive drink/round anyone has bought?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 14:31:23 »

Probably only about £30.

I once paid £17 for four pints of beer in The Beehive.
Nice pub, but ridiculously overpriced.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 14:35:32 »

about 6 at a spearmint rhino in brum, came to 75 quid, I gave over 80 quid and the virtually topless barmiad asked could she keep the fiver change whislt waggling her tits in my face...so naturally I said yes. The irony was, I had come out with about 90 quid...felt very small time after that...
Freddies Ferret

« Reply #27 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 16:39:45 »

I have payed 10 euro for some pissy lager in France! Bloody frogs
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 16:42:20 »

SU beer festival in a bit with beer and cider from all over t'world.

Looks fucking expensive though, so any suggestions of one or two to look out for?!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 16:48:58 »

Have you ever tried Westvleteren beers from Belgium? Most complex beers I’ve ever tasted at 8, 10 and 12 degree strengths. Not easy to get hold of, best bet is to go to the monastery in Flanders and if they’re not open try the cafe across the road.

You can have a wonderful day in the Flanders area – beers from the monastery, a wander around Ypres with a fascinating museum all about WW1 (and a full range of Belgian beer delights in the town), drive out to a couple of the battle sites and finish off with a visit to the Menin Gate memorial and the daily parade at 8pm which really is moving. Ideal if you have kids studying WW1.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/events/menin-gate-last-post-ceremony.htm

I was on some 8% Belgian tackle on NYE, amongst other stuff....proper rocket fuel, fuck knows what it ws called, as the evening got a bit messy...but it had those wire cork lids a bit like champers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: