Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Beer and Booze Thread  (Read 13594 times)
Freddies Ferret

« on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 00:19:08 »

No idea if we have one already, but felt the need to start an alcohol related thread. Have had a couple of nice beers today....

First one is a Badger beer called Golden Glory- A very morish refreshing floral ale, would be lovely in the summer. Can taste a hint of peach.

Second one is a Castle Rock Beer called Harvest Pale- a lovely refreshing ale that I tried at the castle rock brewery but is now available at tesco.

Anyone on here have some good recommendations?

RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 00:45:30 »

There was one a couple of years back...and my recommendations haven't changed.....Deuchars IPA (provided it is served at the right temperature) is the best, but I am very glad to be back in Wadworths' region as, for bitter, 6X still takes some beating.
china red

« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 03:41:14 »

What I would give for a nice pint of ale. 

I've been limited to the local chemical beer for quite a long time now.  Recently we had a german Paulaner bar open, 5 quid a pint and after three beers I was pissed as a fart. 
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 03:49:03 »

Just having a small glass of Fullers London Pride,it really is a nice Ale....even at 4am in the morning.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 04:07:04 »

I get the feeling some of the shit I drink would make you guys cry with jealousy..

Tesco value cider - £1.60 for 2 Liters. That's the way I roll!

I could kill for a koppenburg these days..

china red

« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 06:17:30 »

The local stuff here which is part owned by Scottish and Newcastle can be pruchased for about 25p for a 500ml bottle.  I once went to a restaurant that had a deal whereby you could buy it for the equivalent of 1p a bottle.   A huge hangover followed the next day for about 20p
Freddies Ferret

« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 07:54:13 »

That's mental! How much are the local spirits?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 08:12:35 »

4 pints of hoegaarden whilst watching the liverpool game yesterday finished me off.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 08:38:29 »

Wadworths Horizon is my favourite right now, although it is more of a summer beer - pale golden, citrus but very bitter.

The Three Castles stuff coming out of Pewsey right now always seems good, and if you ever see any of the Otley beers  (O2, O3, O4 etc) they are a must try. Brains Dark is also close to perfection if you like dark beers.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 08:50:49 »

Had a couple of Sambrook's Wandle on Friday which were well served from The Goat in Clapham.

My favourite to get off my face at the moment is Fullers Begal Lancer. Proper good ale that.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 09:24:57 »

Was drinking Tribute Ale and Cornish Rattler cider in Cornwall last week, great stuff.
Went to a Cyder farm and bought a couple of bottles of Scrumpy, which didn't last long though.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 09:29:27 »

I get the feeling some of the shit I drink would make you guys cry with jealousy..

Tesco value cider - £1.60 for 2 Liters. That's the way I roll!

I could kill for a koppenburg these days..
Crikey thats even worse than me and im not shitty biere 'speciale' for £3!

Plymouth Uni beer festival on today though! gunna be a good one!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 09:29:46 »

Some good suggestions there.  For the record, I don't want SSWS to change any of his habits for fear of arsing up our season.  But the TEF is a treasure trove of info and the threads below have even more suggestions.

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,45822.0.html

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,44383.0.html

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,41163.0.html
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 09:30:58 »

If you like dark beers and are prepared to drink slowly then Chimay Blue is a must - it's quite sweet and 9% bv which is why it lends itself to being drunk more like wine than beer.
china red

« Reply #14 on: Monday, February 27, 2012, 09:54:14 »

That's mental! How much are the local spirits?

A 33cl bottle of the local bai jiu (60% rice wine) costs about 1.50 (quid).  I've had it a few times, got incredibly drunk and now even the smell makes me want to vomit.  Imported vodka and the like is probably the same price as the UK but most of its fake and does really bad things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: