Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ground re-development ????  (Read 28138 times)
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Friday, April 27, 2012, 17:38:59 »

STFC in Bournemouth wont agree but i think Sky has helped to bring back the masses also....seems strange especially in the early days when a crowd was lower when Sky was in attendance...but i think as the years have rolled on they brought a bit of glamour into footy which wasnt around in the 70's and 80,s.

I agree. The birth of the Premier League saw interest in football grow.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Friday, April 27, 2012, 19:35:49 »

I thought the cricket club were quite open to the idea last time

Yes they were. I even had a letter published in the Adver about it.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #122 on: Friday, April 27, 2012, 20:19:54 »

Trouble was a big factor. some of the crowds v City, Rovers, Scum are very low but people used to stay away. When we used to go to Reading in the late 70's the first couple of crowds were very big and then tailed off badly as Town used to go completely bonkers there.
I think an additional factor not mentioned so far was the introduction of membership cards which were a real pain in the arsehole and stiopped a hell of a lot of casual fans.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Friday, April 27, 2012, 20:32:45 »

Did they used to let people into the Town End for free for the 2nd half of games? Sure I heard an old boy mention something about that.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Friday, April 27, 2012, 21:20:09 »

No but with big crowds they tended to open the Town End gates earlier than they do these days and sometimes you could sneak in for ten mins or so at the end of a match .....easier then as it was standing and you could basicly shove yourself in.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Friday, April 27, 2012, 21:45:32 »

In 'Six Days to Saturday', I'm sure there was footage of the gates being opened 10 minutes before the end of a game to let kids in for free.  Reg will remember!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074phz
Flashheart

« Reply #126 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 07:25:40 »

<REG>We are a tiny non-league club and should have a stadium with a capacity of 200<REG/>
Chippy Red

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 10:09:29 »

Build That and they will come !
Chippy Red

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 10:12:28 »

soz first time ive tried attachements.  Its Gronigens stadium the euroberg in holland.  Just over 20,000 capacity.  got all the non matchday stuff the board would want.  In red seats and built on the cricket ground after the cricket club and atheltics clubs  bugger off to a new place for them at shaw tip would be awsome !
nochee

« Reply #129 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 10:20:20 »

Identikit bowl, no thanks
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 10:24:31 »

I find it hard to get excited about stadia designs. Until the green light and bulldozers roll in, I shall assume that dear old CG remains the same.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 10:30:45 »

Don't understand the 'Identikit' complaints. I'm sure everyone who complains is a qualified architect, and can offer forward a more aesthetically pleasing design which contains the same facilities and (more crucially) can fit inside the same space.

All these new grounds have filled in corners, with seats, and a football pitch. Of course they're all going to look similar.

Things get better but they never get good
Chippy Red

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 10:39:24 »

Id just like to see something happen and for us to be proud of it.  Since the taylor report clubs who would would have classed as smaller than us have redeveloped or moved into new stadiums and shot past us in the league tables.  When we have moved forward on the pitch we have never followed off it.  Would Reading be in the top flight without the stadium they have now ?  Would Swansea ?

Now alot is about how much does your stadium make on non match days let alone match days.  Some say better ground better attendance.  In that when clubs moved thier attendances went up cos fans like stadiums with good facilities.

What ever we build if we ever do there is sure to be loads of our fans saying they will never go again cos it doesnt smell of piss and hot dogs and they just cant get used to not having a piller in the way of their view.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 11:01:12 »

In 'Six Days to Saturday', I'm sure there was footage of the gates being opened 10 minutes before the end of a game to let kids in for free.  Reg will remember!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074phz

The gates were opened 10 mins before the end to allow the fans to go early to beat the rush. It also meant that urchins could nip in for the last 10 mins...
nochee

« Reply #134 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 11:40:29 »

Don't understand the 'Identikit' complaints. I'm sure everyone who complains is a qualified architect, and can offer forward a more aesthetically pleasing design which contains the same facilities and (more crucially) can fit inside the same space.

All these new grounds have filled in corners, with seats, and a football pitch. Of course they're all going to look similar.
It's quite simple really. When the entire stadium is replicated block by block numerous times it's going to lack imagination. Very similar to a council housing estate. The same house built hundreds of times serves its purpose and houses people but lacks a soul.

It would be nice to have a stadium that gives its visitors something to explore. Not just to visit one section and to know immediately that the block in the opposite corner is exactly the same.

So, I would like our new stadium to be a bit more creative than that of an identikit bowl.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: