Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: JPT Trophy Chesterfield V Swindon Town  (Read 4566 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 08:38:30 »

Welcome back ABR/Farmer Smiley

I think the organisation at Wembley last time was appalling, though there was not much time to organise anything. Technically speaking Wembley stewards should have had everyone sat down, though I'd hate that.

For the 'home of football'' you'd have thought this problem comes up time and time again, some people want to stand and sing, some people want to sit and sing, or not.  You'd have thought there would be some kind of guidance given rather than just giving the tickets over and letting the club get on with it in a big free for all.

Thankfully we learnt from that and hopefully it'll be a lot more agreeable this time.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 08:57:08 »

Btw ref the scum blather on other posts, I only recall 3 teams taking the town end. Millwall when they charged from Stratton Bank, Arsenal in the cup 72 and Ayr Utd in a pre season friendly (think there was 7 pissed up jocks)

According to our own lads it happened regularly, and was taken twice by Oxford.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #32 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 09:46:16 »

Oxford have never taken the Town End in my time following Swindon since 75. Dagenham got close as did Spurs and Arsenal in 79 but none of them actually did, Shitty and Rovers have all tried and failed as well.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 09:51:56 »

Oxford have never taken the Town End in my time following Swindon since 75. Dagenham got close as did Spurs and Arsenal in 79 but none of them actually did, Shitty and Rovers have all tried and failed as well.

Sorry but this can't be right. Eric Read has been to every game ever and has taken it every time!

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 09:53:13 »

Any chance we could leave anything Oxford out of this thread at least ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 09:53:49 »

Arsenal didn't in 79, they got as far as the half way line & the flare that was fired at them slowed them down a bit.

Tottenham were definitely in the Town End before the game, we were only young lads but got a bit of kicking from some of theirs. However when some of our more experienced (Wink ) fans turned up they did decide to vacate.   I still remember one extremely fat spurs fan struggling to get over the fence at the front of the Town End, and also the guy in his pyjamas.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 10:07:01 »

All (largely) before my time so can't really comment myself, just going by some on this site. They're referring to early 70s

Though i hate to say it, in the early 70s before segregation it happened on more than one occasion if iirc.
In those days the "skinheads" and laterly the "bovver boys" Cheesy got in the ground early .Butchers coats or Clockwork orange bowler hats and Stapress.
It wasnt only the scum ,can remember Cardiff ,Brizzle City,Pompey,Villa . . .shall i go on

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #37 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 10:07:28 »

Arsenal didn't in 79, they got as far as the half way line & the flare that was fired at them slowed them down a bit.

Tottenham were definitely in the Town End before the game, we were only young lads but got a bit of kicking from some of theirs. However when some of our more experienced (Wink ) fans turned up they did decide to vacate.   I still remember one extremely fat spurs fan struggling to get over the fence at the front of the Town End, and also the guy in his pyjamas.

I remember the Pyjama man too, fairly made I chuckle. But as you say neither them or the Arse actually took it, I vaguely remember West Ham getting close as well once or twice.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kerry red

« Reply #38 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 10:21:14 »

This needs to be put in historical context.

Before segregation became the norm at grounds 'ends' were regulalry taken all over the place.

What usually happened at Swindon was the away fans used to enter via Stratton Bank and if they fancied their chances walked round the ground to get into the Town End.

A lot of away fans used to get in the ground about 1.00pm hours before any home fans turned up so they could encamp in the Town End beforehand. There then usually ensued the scramble to either kick them out or they legged it of their own accord. If neither of these things occurred a line of local plod kept the 2 opposing fans apart.

Swindon fans did exactly this at Bristol City's East End in early 70s (and stayed there). My first experience of Swindon/Oxford was also around this time and was viewed from the London Road with numerous other Town fans.

As far as the noted 'Eric' he is fairly accurate in happenings but as he must now be in his mid-50s he comes across as a pathetically sad individual whose life seems to have been consumed, even defined, by Swindon.

See the irony there, Eric.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: