Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Six Nations 2012  (Read 15186 times)

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, February 6, 2012, 13:57:34 »

The Ireland v Wales game is the first rugby match i have ever sat and watched from start to finish. I liked it
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, February 6, 2012, 19:43:50 »

Yesterday's match was decent in Dublin.

I was very impressed with the Aviva Stadium, outside it looks nice and the space you have at your seat and the aisle size was more than ample. Loads of bars and toilets so hardly any queueing.

However that said, the atmosphere at the game was strange. There wasn't as much singing as I thought there would be and after Wales nicked it at the end, I didn't feel that people around me were as disappointed as they should have been.

Maybe I am totally wrong, but it felt to me like there is much less passion in supporting rugby teams than at football. People go for the 'craic' and beer and banter etc and at the end of the day, if you lose, you shrug your shoulders and go to the pub.

Isn't that how it should be? Once it's over it's over. No good going all Geordie and sitting there bare chested crying your skin head eyes out like a little girl.

Much prefer the rugby style of getting on with it post match.  I've had three brilliant 6 nations weekends whether we've won, (v Wales in Cardiff) lost (v Italy at MF) or drawn (v England at MF).
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, February 6, 2012, 19:46:47 »

When I worked in England, we had works outings to watch Bath. 6 of us getting into the ground with 3 junior tickets...and we just standing at the bar drinking. God knows who they played those times

I come from a land down-under
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, February 6, 2012, 20:06:27 »

Isn't that how it should be? Once it's over it's over. No good going all Geordie and sitting there bare chested crying your skin head eyes out like a little girl.

Much prefer the rugby style of getting on with it post match.  I've had three brilliant 6 nations weekends whether we've won, (v Wales in Cardiff) lost (v Italy at MF) or drawn (v England at MF).
Well, somewhere between the shrugging the shoulders and the bare chested crying like a little girl would be nice I would say Hmmm
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, February 6, 2012, 20:10:36 »

Well, somewhere between the shrugging the shoulders and the bare chested crying like a little girl would be nice I would say Hmmm

I think this is right. I didn't expect there to be tears or anything, but a little more 'feeling' in getting beat

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, February 6, 2012, 20:20:10 »

I think rugby supporters seem to feel the 'they (ie the opposition) deserved to win' emotion more than football supporters. I mean look at the Wales France RWC match, if that'd been football (like when Henry cheated the irish) the media would have gone ballistic, stirring up supporter emotion, but the Welsh took it well, on the chin and moved on, as even with 14 men they should have won, but didn't. Think defeat is just accepted more in rugby.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, February 6, 2012, 20:23:19 »

Because the result actually doesn't matter, unless they are playing England.

Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, February 6, 2012, 22:30:06 »

I think rugby supporters seem to feel the 'they (ie the opposition) deserved to win' emotion more than football supporters. I mean look at the Wales France RWC match, if that'd been football (like when Henry cheated the irish) the media would have gone ballistic, stirring up supporter emotion, but the Welsh took it well, on the chin and moved on, as even with 14 men they should have won, but didn't. Think defeat is just accepted more in rugby.

I find myself agreeing with you Janaage - which is strange !

As someone who loves both games (I spent years splitting my time between Swindon Town and Gloucester RFC) I have enjoyed both types of atmosphere.
When I was younger, I loved the intensity of the football atmosphere, loved the wholebuzz around going to away matches and never knowing if you would end up in a fight or not, if I'm honest, I used to love a bit of a kick off. In fact a few of us would go to Gloucester and behave impecably (if a bit drunken), then go to Swindon and behave like idiots. I firmly believe that people tend to live up to an expectation..............Rugby = get along with the opposition, Football = antagonise the opposition.

Anyway, as I've got (much) older, I prefer the Rugby atmosphere, mixing with the opposition, drinking with them, taking the piss etc.

Having said that, I still don't think I could mix with Oxford fans without the old red mist rising back to the surface
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 08:22:00 »

What better way to bump this thread back than to congratulate Stuart Lancaster for landing the England job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17547312

He did a fantastic job in the Six Nations...stopped the rot after Johnson left.  Fully deserved in my book.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 08:35:25 »

I hadn't heard this 'til now. This is fantastic news!

The progress he made with the team in such a short time is astounding. Like you say Ardiles, absolutely deserved to get the job.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 08:39:11 »

Players seemed to be 100% behind him, which is half the battle.  He did a good job, although I do think this year's Six Nations was one of the weakest I have seen for some years.  Onwards and upwards.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 08:57:02 »

At last.  Surprised it took the RFU so long appoint him.  A much better choice than Nick Mallett in my opinion.

Will be interesting to see what happens Re Andy Farrell.  I expect an approach to Saracens asking him to join up as part of the England staff. 

I am assuming it is not really possible for him to do both jobs?
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 13:16:58 »

Clap

Brilliant  !!

janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 20:18:46 »

I find myself agreeing with you Janaage - which is strange !

As someone who loves both games (I spent years splitting my time between Swindon Town and Gloucester RFC) I have enjoyed both types of atmosphere.
When I was younger, I loved the intensity of the football atmosphere, loved the wholebuzz around going to away matches and never knowing if you would end up in a fight or not, if I'm honest, I used to love a bit of a kick off. In fact a few of us would go to Gloucester and behave impecably (if a bit drunken), then go to Swindon and behave like idiots. I firmly believe that people tend to live up to an expectation..............Rugby = get along with the opposition, Football = antagonise the opposition.

Anyway, as I've got (much) older, I prefer the Rugby atmosphere, mixing with the opposition, drinking with them, taking the piss etc.

Having said that, I still don't think I could mix with Oxford fans without the old red mist rising back to the surface

Interesting read that, and a take on things I can completely empathise with.

Regarding Lancaster, have to say fair play to the rfu for appointing him, but I do wonder if this year's very poor six nations period was just a honeymoon period for the bloke. What has he got when things don't go so well? That's the question.

Are you lot sure you don't want Robinson involved at all? Please?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 20:23:56 »

Nah, you can keep him.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: