Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 70   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NFL  (Read 194520 times)
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 09:49:45 »

Pretty bloody amazing story that, never really thought of American Football scouts being over here in what, the early 70s? Must have seen him on C4 in the 80s when I was into American Football (go Bears!).

He actually got spotted when he was on holiday in New York. He was always obsessive about training, so was taking the opportunity to practice by shooting at an American football goal in a park, trying to hit the single upright from 30 yards (he had a great shot on him !). Some guy was walking his dog and stopped to watch him. He came and asked him if he could hit the post on the left and he did. He then said hit the post on the right and he did. He then hit the one on the left again, and the guy asked for his address details and said he worked for the NY Jets. When he got back to England there was a letter with airline tickets in it for a trail.

He swears that hitting the post 3 times in a row was a complete fluke, and he could never do it again, but he was lucky at the right time.
He had 10 years on (what was then) megamoney.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 12:04:34 »

He actually got spotted when he was on holiday in New York. He was always obsessive about training, so was taking the opportunity to practice by shooting at an American football goal in a park, trying to hit the single upright from 30 yards (he had a great shot on him !). Some guy was walking his dog and stopped to watch him. He came and asked him if he could hit the post on the left and he did. He then said hit the post on the right and he did. He then hit the one on the left again, and the guy asked for his address details and said he worked for the NY Jets. When he got back to England there was a letter with airline tickets in it for a trail.

He swears that hitting the post 3 times in a row was a complete fluke, and he could never do it again, but he was lucky at the right time.

Fantastic. The scouting makes much more sense now Smiley Talk about right place and right time to show the skills! He's still in the US then (according to Wiki and the JS sport centre website).  

A whole life/career set up by a bloke walking his dog... edit: well skill as well, but you know what I mean...

Thanks for sharing.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 12:07:29 by Batch » Logged
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 23:53:31 »

Hehe.  Great story. Smiley

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Saturday, November 3, 2012, 00:54:21 »

I started following the Pats when C4 started covering NFL in about 1982 ish.  They were shit for years as I recall.
Can't even remember why I picked them - probably was the New England bit - might have been because my sister worked in Boston one summer?

Wasn't John Smith one of the presenters on C4 in the early days?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 19:44:17 »

Superb Owl tonight, who else is staying up?

fatbasher

« Reply #215 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 19:46:01 »

I started following the Pats when C4 started covering NFL in about 1982 ish.  They were shit for years as I recall.
Can't even remember why I picked them - probably was the New England bit - might have been because my sister worked in Boston one summer?

Wasn't John Smith one of the presenters on C4 in the early days?

Think so. Much under rated STFC player and a real gentleman.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 19:49:43 »

Superb Owl tonight, who else is staying up?

Yep, have tomorrow booked off.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 19:51:19 »

I'll probably give it until 2am, so may get to see half-time.

Little (eldest) one will probably be up at 6am to tear open her presents, so can't really pull off staying up all the way through, even though I have no work tomorrow.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 20:03:05 »

Recording it. Couldn't possibly stay up all the way through.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 20:06:49 »

Find NFL really boring... Maybe because I dont understand it well enough, but there seems to be loads of breaks in play?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 21:05:51 »

Find NFL really boring... Maybe because I dont understand it well enough, but there seems to be loads of breaks in play?
There are lots of breaks in play and to be honest, it's pretty infuriating even if you are an NFL fan. Recording games is in fact the best way to watch them, then you can just ffwd through the crap.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 21:27:12 »

Absolutely no interest in NFL but staying up and watching this shitter version of rugby.

Beers, chicken wings and Doritos swayed it. 
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 21:32:58 »

There are lots of breaks in play and to be honest, it's pretty infuriating even if you are an NFL fan. Recording games is in fact the best way to watch them, then you can just ffwd through the crap.

Ah right, i've watched a few times and tried really hard to enjoy it... Pretty difficult when it just switches to pundits ect constantly. To be honest, us Brits have a plethora of sports to choose from as it is, cant ever see NFL being massively popular here no matter how much hype it's given or how many games are played at Wembley.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 21:45:50 »

Ah right, i've watched a few times and tried really hard to enjoy it... Pretty difficult when it just switches to pundits ect constantly. To be honest, us Brits have a plethora of sports to choose from as it is, cant ever see NFL being massively popular here no matter how much hype it's given or how many games are played at Wembley.
I tend to agree, the NFL will only ever have a cult following over here. (American) football should just be played in America and soccer everywhere else and that's how it should stay.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 21:48:39 »

It's good with friends + beer + snacks + gambling. The breaks give you ample time to get more beer/ get more snacks/ make more bets/ go to the toilet.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 70   Go Up
Print
Jump to: