Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SDSL Providers  (Read 3097 times)
Bosey

Ignore
« on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 10:33:45 »

Some of you seem to work in networking so this is more aimed at you!

We need SDSL in the office as our (outbound) data packets are dropping off when making VoiP calls, I figured the additional upload would resolve this.

Who do you advise we go with in terms of supplier? Not neccesarily after the cheapest, service and reliability is key too.

Any suggestions?
stfcinbmth

« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 16:41:01 »

Some of you seem to work in networking so this is more aimed at you!

We need SDSL in the office as our (outbound) data packets are dropping off when making VoiP calls, I figured the additional upload would resolve this.

Who do you advise we go with in terms of supplier? Not neccesarily after the cheapest, service and reliability is key too.

Any suggestions?

My ISP has their own Business Division, give em a call and ask for George, prides himself on a quality service and a top bloke

http://www.town2country.co.uk/services/business-broadband.html

Just to add, I've been with him about four years now and there's no way I'd even consider going elsewhere. If you want any more details and his mobile number drop me a pm
« Last Edit: Friday, January 20, 2012, 16:53:05 by stfcinbmth » Logged
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 20:17:09 »

@stfcinbmth - This prompted me to speak to George today - I decided not to go with him initially, but BT have already proved hugely infuriating (and I haven't even received anything yet) so I phoned him this evening and gave him my money instead. (He's not cheap by conventional standards, but it ain't conventional Broadband.)
stfcinbmth

« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 20:35:00 »

@stfcinbmth - This prompted me to speak to George today - I decided not to go with him initially, but BT have already proved hugely infuriating (and I haven't even received anything yet) so I phoned him this evening and gave him my money instead. (He's not cheap by conventional standards, but it ain't conventional Broadband.)

Good on you Barry, hope he gets you sorted.

My exchange is supposed to be going FTTP end of March, spotted some BT Openreach guys working on the new cab over the road opposite me so thought I'd nip over and pick their brains about it all. They know nothing at all, not even what the exchange is being upgraded too, I knew more than them, so I can understand your frustration

I was initially horrified at the exchange being upped to FTTP having had a preference for FTTC, but then sussed that if I have FTTP and it can be sorted as I want it ie coming into the premises at the front(the cab is just across the road) rather than the back where the current phone line comes in. Means I can cancel the BT copper phone line and line rental etc and just use VOIP for telephone calls

Let me know how you get on
« Last Edit: Friday, January 20, 2012, 20:50:55 by stfcinbmth » Logged
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 20:36:01 »

How many voip calls are you trying to push out before you get problems? What issues are you getting exactly?

Also do you know what protocol you are using (g711, g729 etc?)?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 20:42:10 »

Also do you know what protocol you are using (g711, g729 etc?)?

[pedant]
codec not protocol
[/pedant]
Bosey

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 08:23:10 »

It is all optimized as far as it can be, I can only assume now we dont have enough upload bandwidth.

G729 is the codec the phones are running atm.

Might give your man a call today. Thanks. Smiley
Barry Scott

« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 10:34:20 »

I can only assume now we dont have enough upload bandwidth.

Might give your man a call today. Thanks. Smiley

Make sure you do call stfcinbmth's bloke, he's given me 12MB up stream (I think), with BT only providing 2MB, and it's also uncontended - or as good as.

Be warned though, he can talk the hind legs off a donkey. Smiley
Bosey

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 11:23:11 »

Make sure you do call stfcinbmth's bloke, he's given me 12MB up stream (I think), with BT only providing 2MB, and it's also uncontended - or as good as.

For the record, I have just spoke to George and we are likely to switch. Seems to be able to quadruple our upload speed using our existing set up and just changing the lines. Also talked me out of a much more expensive option which would have stood to make him more money as he was adamant he could provide a more than adequate service for a lot cheaper than I was prepared to go for!
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 14:48:31 »

[pedant]
codec not protocol
[/pedant]

indeed, indeed...was written in haste ;-) Was just checking we weren't talking G711 out to telco!
stfcinbmth

« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 15:37:24 »

He's great isn't he
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: