Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spearman and co  (Read 23993 times)
animalwilliams

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 06:41:54 »

Is it just me that finds the sight of Mike Spearman pictured sitting alongside our manager at Rotherham more than a little stomach churning.
This is a man that was on the board responsible for the actions of the Hunt/MacMahon era that lost the respect of so many fans. Going into administration (twice) resulting in local suppliers and traders losing thousands of pounds and some even going out of business.  The Brady bunch fiasco and worst of all being a constant vocal fan of  Diamandis a figure no honest company would even consider employing . The fact that we still have a team to watch is still a matter that all of us should consider more than a little fortunate and is no thanks to this man.
I still see Spearman, Puffett and co on match days parading around as if they still ran the club, thank fuck they dont.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 08:53:17 »

Spearmans alright. It the other cunts who i would quite happily rip their heads off and shit down their throat.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 08:55:22 »

Mike Spearman was chairman during the Ardiles and Hoddle era and is Swindon Town through and through.He certainly does'nt deserve to be bracketed along with Hunt,Carson or Sir Seton Wills.Wait until you've met the man and then see what your opinion is
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 08:55:32 »

My impression of Spearman and Puffett is that they are genuine fans. Yes, they both sat on boards that did no favours for our football club, but as you have pointed out it was Hunt, Brady and later Diamandis who were really calling the shots.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 09:14:07 »

Animalwilliams - that's completely out of line in my opinion. Spearman and Puffett lived and breathed this club and kept its head just about above water when nobody else was interested in funding or running the club. Prior to and during the first administration, Cliff Puffett was continually begging fans to come out and support the club to get it through another week. If it wasn't for him - you may not have a club now. Do not put those two in the same bracket as Diamadis, Brady, Donegan, Blatchley or Hunt or anybody else who came here seeking personal profit or self-promotion with complete disregard for the fans. I bet Mike Spearman and Cliff Puffett don't walk around like the won the place - but if they did, they'd be entitled to. 
Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 09:21:20 »

I also find it difficult to be too hard on SSW. He may have been incompetent, but he did seem to have the best for the club at heart.

It's that fat Greek cunt that I want to die slowly and painfully.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 09:23:36 »

It's that fat Greek cunt that I want to die slowly and painfully.

Careful now, or Barry/Whits might end up with a visit from the coppers. Believe me, he's got previous for it.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 09:26:15 »

I've no problem with Spearman. I remember an evening away game at Watford in the late nineties. Spearman was walking around the away fans stand thanking every Swindon fan for their support and shook everyone by the hand. He chatted to most and really engaged with the fans, a proper true fan and Swindon through and through.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 09:31:33 »

You cannot damn everyone by association.  As others have said, Mike Spearman is one of us...no doubt about it.  I remember him walking around the stand on a bitterly cold November afternoon up at Hartlepool handing out club shop vouchers to the fans who had made the trip to say thanks.  Yes, he sat on the same board as some others we would rather forget.  But I wouldn't judge him too harshly for that (especially when I know I know so little about what went on back then).
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 09:46:22 »

Mike Spearmint is a top bloke and I have all the time in the world for him, hes mint.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 09:46:36 »

You cannot damn everyone by association.  As others have said, Mike Spearman is one of us...no doubt about it.  I remember him walking around the stand on a bitterly cold November afternoon up at Hartlepool handing out club shop vouchers to the fans who had made the trip to say thanks.  Yes, he sat on the same board as some others we would rather forget.  But I wouldn't judge him too harshly for that (especially when I know I know so little about what went on back then).

I was at that game and remember him handing out the vouchers which I thought was an excellent touch. When he said 'thanks for travelling all this way to support us' I didn't have the heart to say I had come from Edinburgh which is basically just up the road!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 09:48:07 »

I think Mike Spearman goes to every away game, I always see him when I go away anyways. True fan.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 09:56:39 »

Spearman and Puffett are ok in my book.  I've been thanked by Mike S. many times at away games, still remember the genuine concern shown by him that my son, who was suffering from a broken ankle, had to get back to the SAS travel coach on crutches after travelling to Ipswich for a midweek game.  And wasn't Mike removed from the chair by a coup d'etat when he was on holiday?  Came back to find somebody else sitting at the head of the board.  Cliff is a genuine supporter, sat with him on Stratton Bank when he was trying to entice fans back to the club with a £10 offer including a free burger!!  And don't ever tell me that Sir Seton was not a supporter, he may have had some dodgy friends, but his heart was in the right place and his money saved the club on several occasions - who can forget that night at Brentford when we came so close to extinction before Lady Seton Wills coughed up the cash to keep the club rolling.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 10:19:30 »

Seton Will's problem was his poor judgement in having an advisor such as Diamandis. James Wills, I found to be a grade A  twat.
I think Mike Spearman doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the likes of Diamandis, Holt, Carson etc, whereas James Will's does.
As for Puffet, I think he was more supportive of Diamandis & Co than he should have been, but maybe that was because Seton Wills was.

From the Dark Side
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 11:02:05 »

Seton Will's problem was his poor judgement in having an advisor such as Diamandis. James Wills, I found to be a grade A  twat.
I think Mike Spearman doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the likes of Diamandis, Holt, Carson etc, whereas James Will's does.
As for Puffet, I think he was more supportive of Diamandis & Co than he should have been, but maybe that was because Seton Wills was.

Got to disagree with you on the Puffet/Diamandis link.  I did some contract work for Cliff and at the same time was doing some work at STFC, Cliff was off the board by then and he asked me if I had met Diamandis.  When I told him that I hadn't Cliff marked my card about him and it certainly wasn't a ringing endorsement!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: