Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tablet Computer  (Read 5566 times)
Cookie

Ignore
« on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 10:28:06 »

Techy advice needed please.

At work we want to replace the clipboard and pencil with a tablet PC for field based monitoring work (city environment). Primarily it's needed for basic excel function i.e. replacing a paper form to input data. It will also be used at public events to provide web based information and videos so will need to be 3G.

Key requirements - run an application compatible with excel 2010, ease of data transfer to a PC,  robustness/weatherproof, decent touchscreen/ease of text input, screen viewable in sunlight, long battery life and basic web functions.

a) is this a stupid idea and I'm an idiot for overcomplicating matters?

b) if the answer to a) is no, then which tablet should I buy, budget £500ish max.

Any recommendations or experiences using tablets for work would be greatly appreciated.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 10:48:14 »

Most (if not all) Android tablets have office-like apps available through the market. Of course, there's the iPad as well, but if your videos are Flash based then that rules it out.

Transferring data to a PC is easy with any tablet. If you go with an Android tablet then you can get 50GB free file hosting with Box which eliminates the need to connect up to a PC with a cable.

Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:24:29 »

Cheers Sam, I was leaning toward Android anyway because it's what I'm used to.

From my own research I would have gone for the Asus Transformer but no 3G ruled that out for me. Which? recommend the Galaxy tab so does anybody have one of these and can they recommend? Have people used the Xoom or do Acer or Hanspree make anything decent?

Do tablets get used for work by anybody else or are they purely entertainment devices?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:27:41 »

I've recently bought a Xoom and it's great. Battery is brilliant, lasts for ages.

If you have an Android phone, then there's no need to fork out the extra for a 3G tablet. You can use your phone to create a wifi hotspot and then connect the tablet up to that.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:30:47 »

From a public perspective point of view you'll look a lot better with an iPad than an Android. I use my iPad for work and more often than not customers comment on it (normally asking what it's like as they want one). Go in to a meeting with an Android and you'll look a bit cheap. Pretty sure it's played a part in winning some contracts as well.
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:41:33 »

From a public perspective point of view you'll look a lot better with an iPad than an Android. I use my iPad for work and more often than not customers comment on it (normally asking what it's like as they want one). Go in to a meeting with an Android and you'll look a bit cheap. Pretty sure it's played a part in winning some contracts as well.

Well the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 looks a bit tacky (that was the first one) but if you look at Galaxy Tab 10.1, it looks near same as an iPad, very stylish and sleek.

I just think the iPad poses some limitation issues. No customisation available whatsoever, and no Flash. With an android, you can customise the device to pretty much however you want.

Swindoner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:41:43 »

I played with an Archos 101 G9 the other day and it seems like a great tablet for £249.99

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:43:35 »

I bought my daughter the Blackberry currently on sale in currys. Down from £400 to £170. Apart from checking it works i have no idea how good it is (athough it was rated in reviews i read of it) put away until her birthday later in the month
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:45:12 »

I bought my daughter the Blackberry on sale in currys. Down from £400 to £170. Apart from checking it works i have no idea how good it is (athough it was rated in reviews i read of it)

Could you please have a fiddle with it and tell us how good it is? It seems so cheap I want to run down there and get one!  Eek

pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:46:50 »

Bummer. Blackberries use their own OS??  Angry

Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:50:32 »

That's a joke, right?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:52:15 »

Playbook is very limited. The current OS in BBs own. There's a beta of their new OS which is Android based, but heavily customised by BB. It doesn't have the Android app market as standard. It can be done, but it's not straightforward.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:53:57 »

Could you please have a fiddle with it and tell us how good it is? It seems so cheap I want to run down there and get one!  Eek

my mrs has hidden it and it's wrapped up.
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:54:55 »

my mrs has hidden it and it's wrapped up.

Oh I see  Cheesy I thought it was for Christmas! Happy Birthday(?) to your daughter Smiley

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:57:52 »

Oh I see  Cheesy I thought it was for Christmas! Happy Birthday(?) to your daughter Smiley

I'm no good with the things anyway. My knowledge with computer stuff is very limited
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: