Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wireless Network?  (Read 1953 times)
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 23:03:21 »

Simpleton needs help!

Have just bought a shiny new Windows 7 Acer PC to replace my old Windows XP machine. Have transferred everything over fine and it's working like a dream, except my mobile, netbook and sister's laptop can no longer connect to the wireless network.

I can see the network from my phone and when I ask it to connect it goes from 'connecting' to 'disconnected'.

The old pc was connected to my router by a cable and presumably was responsible for shooting the wireless stuff all over the house, not the router as I'd previously thought. The new machine has inherited the cable but not the other responsibilities which come along with it.

So, my questions to you are... do I need to set up a new wireless network and how do I go about doing so?

Cheers

Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 07:16:57 »

There are lots of ways your old network could have been set up.

Was the old XP machine connected to the router by LAN or USB cable.

Did you need the old XP machine to be turned on in order to connect to the internet from your phone?

What I'm trying to get at is was if the XP machine set up to "share internet connection" and whether you can change that  so you directly connect to the router instead.

What make/model router is it anyway?
-------------------------
If you could connect to the internet even when the old XP PC was turned off I'd reboot the router.

If you couldn't we need to make sure the router has wireless capabilities, and if so work out whether it can provide wireless networking to all your devices.

If it has no wireless capabilities you are going to need to do something lie this:
http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot
but I'm not sure I'm the right person to advise on this as I've never done it - happy to play on my own PC but less so in a thread on the internet!

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 07:38:06 »

I thought Batch had just answered his own question. Stupid avatars.
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 18:29:01 »

Batch, thank you! Turns out all it needed was a reboot. Feel like a bit of a plum now.

Cheers.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 19:00:50 »

Batch, thank you! Turns out all it needed was a reboot. Feel like a bit of a plum now.

Cheers.

Am I qualified for an IT support role now?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: