Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ipad or Laptop?  (Read 14841 times)
stfcinbmth

« Reply #60 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 19:27:00 »

I haven't got a clue what a similar spec laptop to my Macbook Pro would cost, mainly as I've never seen another laptop brand with the same level of quality. I guess maybe some of the Sony are in the ballpark but they aren't cheap.

Does anyone else use aluminium? It makes a real difference - light but still feels as solid as a lump of metal.

Hence the get what you pay for, I think there are a few around with an aluminium chassis but I couldn't name them off hand, would have to go back through my back issues of PC Pro.  When I knock up a pc for myself I always use a decent Lian Li case and those aren't cheap either
stfcinbmth

« Reply #61 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 19:31:59 »

As an after thought if anyone has a not overclocked Q6600 quad core cpu please let me know
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #62 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 19:47:25 »

Missed the point completely gents.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #63 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 20:05:39 »

Missed the point completely gents.

I did see your point, basically bog standard lappies are disposable, but just thought I'd point out that you get what you pay for, in the case of the Mac, build quality. I do agree that they are over priced, but it's called design. I'm pc through and through, I just couldn't be doing with them insisting on doing upgrades and repairs themselves and charging me a fortune for doing it. Laptops to me are just for tinkering with and a bit of surfing(on my linux netbook now) any other stuff, video processing etc is done on the pc.
I wouldn't be going down Mcphleas route of buying a pc for investment purposes either  Wink
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 21:01:50 »

Without getting into an iMac vs PC debate as they serve completely different end user needs, but this argument doesn’t stack up. Equivalent spec pc is going to be £400-500 less to begin with and you could upgrade the pc every 3 years for less than £450.

Think you're the one that has missed the point.

1. Buy an iMac for £1300 three years ago. Now worth £850. Total cost of ownership = £450.
2. Buy a PC for £800 three years ago. Now worth (being very generous) £350. Total cost of ownership = £450.

So the real cost is exactly the same. Of course you could upgrade the PC rather than selling it but you're left with an upgraded three year old PC, whereas the Mac owner can trade theirs in for a brand new iMac for the same outlay.

The idea that Macs are more expensive is a bit of a fallacy. Initial outlay wise they are but when you factor everything in longer term the difference is negligible. They're not always more expensive initially either, not sure if it's still the case but a year or two ago it was pretty much impossible to build a PC with an equivalent spec as a Mac Pro for the same money.

Though far more important is whether a Mac or PC is best for your needs. It's actually not perfect for my needs, which is why I run Windows 7 as a virtual machine as well - which actually performs better than all the sub £400 Windows laptops I've used through work over the last couple of years.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 21:04:45 by jonny72 » Logged
Barry Scott

« Reply #65 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 21:28:59 »

I know people talk about how a PC is cheaper, and it is, but you have to do so much more to justify it being cheaper. It's a false economy.

To start with you have to build it yourself, which immediately means it's not a true comparison because most people can't do that with a pc and you can't (Hakintosh excused) do that with a Mac. So, excepting that, it's then only fair to compare high-spec off the shelf, with serious build quality where the prices are very close. You also don't get the after sales care Applecare provides, Knowhow isn't even comparable.

I haven't got a clue what a similar spec laptop to my Macbook Pro would cost, mainly as I've never seen another laptop brand with the same level of quality. I guess maybe some of the Sony are in the ballpark but they aren't cheap.

Does anyone else use aluminium? It makes a real difference - light but still feels as solid as a lump of metal.

I used to have a Vaio and the quality doesn't even come close. (It also cost more than my MBP.) I also still own a Thinkpad and that's the closest in build quality I've seen to a Macbook, but still isn't really a patch on it.

On that basis I just went to Lenovo and built an i7 Thinkpad, similar to my MBP and it was actually more expensive. Applecare for 3 years is £199 and 3 years with Lenovo, that seems comparable is £127.

[url width=900 height=369]http://i.imgur.com/6MwLM.png[/url]

[url width=900 height=435]http://i.imgur.com/gxXmv.png[/url]

I just couldn't be doing with them insisting on doing upgrades and repairs themselves and charging me a fortune for doing it.

Upgrading a Mac is almost the same as a PC. My last one I did the Ram and HD myself and my brand new, or near as brand new Mac, I also upgraded myself. (It doesn't void the warranty unless the upgrade you performed is deemed responsible for the fault and the parts you've changed are no longer under warranty.)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 06:53:36 »

As an after thought if anyone has a not overclocked Q6600 quad core cpu please let me know
I have one sat in my PC which hasn't been turned on since July.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #67 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 16:30:34 »

Whip it out then
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 16:32:01 »

Dirty sod
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 16:32:54 »

Didn't stop Ronaldinho apparently.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #70 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 21:19:47 »

I didn't really word that very well did I? I should have added 'that they wish to sell' So sonic you have let me know, but do you wish to sell it, cpu only?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: