Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Young Talents Lost?  (Read 6426 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, November 18, 2011, 12:42:30 »

We bring through very few. It's really tough for kids trying to make it in the game.

We don't really help ourselves on this front, we don't give youth players much of a chance do we? Bodin got a bit of stick at the start of the season for not being good enough, but is now doing fairly well at Torquay, Kennedy got a bit of a run but one or two poor games and we bring in a loanee to take his spot: not much of a surprise that these guys aren't coming through as we might hope really.

The main memory on this front is Lloyd Macklin getting all sorts of shit on his home debut a few years ago, absolutely shot his confidence. It's all very well and good saying these players disappear into Premiership academies and are never seen again, but we're not exactly Crewe for giving players a chance are we?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, November 18, 2011, 12:55:02 »

Managers are reluctant to throw them in as their jobs are on the line. It's a results business and they are scared of losing their jobs. If clubs were more patient with giving managers longer then i'm sure kids would come through more frequently. Likewise, fans need to be patient with the young players too as it's daunting to say the least playing forst team football.
Our crowd does contain a high proportion of cretins
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 18, 2011, 13:42:55 »

Exactly what arriba said.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #18 on: Friday, November 18, 2011, 18:08:02 »

Managers are reluctant to throw them in as their jobs are on the line. It's a results business and they are scared of losing their jobs. If clubs were more patient with giving managers longer then i'm sure kids would come through more frequently. Likewise, fans need to be patient with the young players too as it's daunting to say the least playing forst team football.

Agreed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, November 18, 2011, 18:38:17 »

We don't really help ourselves on this front, we don't give youth players much of a chance do we? Bodin got a bit of stick at the start of the season for not being good enough, but is now doing fairly well at Torquay, Kennedy got a bit of a run but one or two poor games and we bring in a loanee to take his spot: not much of a surprise that these guys aren't coming through as we might hope really.

The main memory on this front is Lloyd Macklin getting all sorts of shit on his home debut a few years ago, absolutely shot his confidence. It's all very well and good saying these players disappear into Premiership academies and are never seen again, but we're not exactly Crewe for giving players a chance are we?

This is what annoys me the most - giving them half a chance and then dropping them for no real reason. Bodin was played out of position, Kennedy didn't do much wrong, neither did Thompson or Storey. You need to give them a proper chance and treat them the same as experienced players (i.e. not dropping them from sight after a single bad game). Would really like to see Bodin come back in January and be given some games out wide.

As regards Macklin, I think the main problem was he just wasn't good enough. Whilst having your own fans shout out abuse isn't a help, it's not an excuse for the player concerned either - if their skin isn't thick enough for that then they ain't going to make it.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #20 on: Friday, November 18, 2011, 19:09:48 »

Spot on arriba. Trouble is it's only going to get worse with the Premier League being able to pick up the promising kids for a pittance
DRS

« Reply #21 on: Friday, November 18, 2011, 19:47:40 »

I would also add though that over the last few years we have not actually had many middle of the road seasons.We have been involved in relegation/promotion alot and managers are not going to throw youngsters in
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, November 18, 2011, 21:40:15 »

Marshall was another...always liked him and can see him getting a decent move soon.
Bosey

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 12:42:30 »

The Legendary Ben Tozer.

He scored last week!
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 13:27:11 »

Marshall was another...always liked him and can see him getting a decent move soon.

Big mistake letting him go, never understood why we did and have always thought we'd end up regretting it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 13:43:39 »

Are we talking about Mark Marshall here?

If so the reason we let him go is that he was fucking shit. Players like McNamee had more ability in his little toe.

He could run fast though. O'Briantastic.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 13:54:30 »

Are we talking about Mark Marshall here?

If so the reason we let him go is that he was fucking shit. Players like McNamee had more ability in his little toe.

He could run fast though. O'Briantastic.

Agree. Was useless for us
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 14:19:04 »

Agree. Was useless for us

And we didnt bring him through the ranks either
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 16:41:42 »

....desperately look to get out of Barnet.

No one wants him. We let him go because he's rubbish.
Parkin09

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 10:59:27 »

I went to school with all the Mills brothers, I know Joe/Fish Mills was with Town at a really young age but left quite early on, don't think Matt was ever with us, though could be wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: