Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How Wiltshire are you??  (Read 21325 times)
Coca Fola

« Reply #120 on: Monday, October 17, 2011, 07:05:52 »

Where the fuck is Mladic when you need him eh?
Well out of order. Don't be a dick.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, October 17, 2011, 15:49:28 »

Swindon is a relative newcomer to the Wiltshire heavyweights, calne was mentioned in the Domesday book along with one or two others that  don't concern me  Smiley

Swindon is in the Domesday Book....it was granted to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, half brother of the Bastard Guillaume.

OK Calne may have had a few more serfs and amusingly shaped turnips, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement.
Highland Robin

« Reply #122 on: Monday, October 17, 2011, 16:12:28 »

Born in Pompey (Dad in Marines), moved to Aldbourne when I was 1yr old.  Mum still lives there, and I, having travelled far and wide including to the Highlands, have now returned to just outside Wootton Bassett...new TEF Identity definitely required...any ideas?  On second thoughts.....
I went to College in Salisbury.
Grandfather was Rector of Compton Bassett, and he and my grandmother (who was Giddings from Devizes) are buried there, other grandfather lived outside Marlborough from mid-sixties til he died.....

Do I qualify, at least as an honorary?

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Monday, October 17, 2011, 16:32:45 »

RWB Robin?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 14:23:40 »

Swindon is in the Domesday Book....it was granted to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, half brother of the Bastard Guillaume.

OK Calne may have had a few more serfs and amusingly shaped turnips, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

Quite right Reg.....i have checked the Domesday book and there is no mention of Harris' in there so thats a load of wank anyway!

Clems Army!
Highland Robin

« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 14:24:48 »

RWB Robin?

Excellent..... Grin
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 15:09:33 »

OK Calne may have had a few more serfs and amusingly shaped turnips

It still has Reg, it still has  Smiley
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 17:51:32 »

Anyone for Lardy cake?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 17:57:47 »

Where can you get decent lardy cake these days.  Id love a nice bit o lardy.

Never knowingly overstated.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 18:19:19 »

My wife's grandfather is a retired baker and makes the best lardy cake I've ever tasted.

Haven't had any for months though. Would kill for some now.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 18:51:55 »

Just traced my great,great great grandfather born in Hockworthy in 1797 Eek....his son and my great grandad both lived there plying there trade as Blacksmiths...i went to Hockworthy near Tiverton last year and it is one of the nicest places in Devon,miles from anywhere.
So my next step will be to go there or the Exeter archives for Devon to see if i can find his baptism record,because that will have his parents names and hopefully birthdates that will allow me to be heading towards the 1740's.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 19:35:18 »

Where can you get decent lardy cake these days.  Id love a nice bit o lardy.

Marshall's Bakery in Pewsey.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 19:44:58 »

Marshall's Bakery in Pewsey.

Good work.....here's a 6 year old thread, which offers some suggestions for lardy purchase....

Wonder if Yeovil's had a bagel yet  Smiley

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,3620.0.html
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 19:48:31 »

Don't know much about bagels, but I had some lardy from Swindon a couple of weeks ago and it was a very sorry, dry affair.

Marshall's all the way.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 19:51:57 »

All this Wiltshire talk has reminded me of one of my bugbears...the way politicians (and the Royal Mail, for that matter) keep buggering about with counties and ancient sub-divisions.  Because, of course, in a political sense Swindon hasn't even been in Wiltshire since 1997.

No other country seems to do this.  In France, the départements are sacrosanct.  In the US, it doesn't matter whether you're in a sprawling city or a rural heartland, you'll know exactly which state you're in - and you'll probably be proud of it too.

But here, you're sort of in Wiltshire if you're in Swindon (if there was a 'ducks for cover' smiley, I'd add it here) and sort of not; Bournemouth folk used to be Hampshire, but they're now Dorset; if you're in Kingston on Thames, you're Surrey (to the Royal Mail) or London (if you'd like to vote in a Mayoral election); and Berkshire no longer exists at all in the political sense...which just compounds the insult of the 1970s when half of it got nicked by Oxfordshire.

It's all wrong.  And it matters (I think, anyway) because if local boundaries get blurred, then so do local identities.  A sense of place is important.

End of rant.  I think I feel better.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: