Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How Wiltshire are you??  (Read 21683 times)
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 10:53:28 »

Kind of - all the houses got concrete cancer so they knocked some of them down and built weird wooden style 2 storey flats
I grew up in Dixon Way!
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 10:54:47 »

Old dears born in Maidenhead, grandparents a mixture of Maidenhead and Hillingdon.

I was born in Reading, lived in Wokingham most of my life.

None for me!

Old maps of Wiltshire indicate that the Wokingham triangle used to be part of Wiltshire !

From the Dark Side
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 10:59:51 »

0%

London baby then grew up in stroud and fell in love with the Town when my dad took me as an 8 year old kid.
It was a luck escape as he we had no loyalty to any team in the area at the time (apart from wimbledon) and my old man thought it was too far to drive to Bristol
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 11:09:13 »

Quite a lot of Wiltshire in one branch... Dad, grandad and mutilple generations back to early 1700's (as far as I've got) are all Collingbourne.
Gran on my Dads side is London
Grandparents on Mums side are from oop north, Hull I think.
I feel more Wiltshire than anything else!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 11:23:19 »

My mother in laws maiden name was Collingbourne.  Her family is pure wiltshire farming.

Never knowingly overstated.
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 11:28:58 »

My mother in laws maiden name was Collingbourne.  Her family is pure wiltshire farming.
Chances are my old chaps lot worked for your Mother in laws lot then as they seem to be pure Wiltshire 'agricultural labourers'!  Smiley
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 11:37:51 »

How funny! I live in Bromham & GK Nash the delightful stokes croft area is where I grew up!

Which part of Bromham do you live in?

My old man lives down St Ediths Marsh, I used to live in Highfield.

Ps.  I'm not a stalker honest
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 11:39:38 »

Born in West Oxfordshire and lived there for 24 years. My father was born in Co. Waterford then moved to West Oxfordshire where he's remained ever since. My mother was born in Norfolk but grew up in West Oxfordshire (are you noticing a pattern yet?) and has remained there ever since.

I support Town because my Dad started to watch Swindon many years ago when O*ford were still in their rightful place in non-league.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 15:44:21 »

Old maps of Wiltshire indicate that the Wokingham triangle used to be part of Wiltshire !

Indeed...there were 2 enclaves of Wiltshire near Reading, one around Spencer's Wood, and one around Twyford....I'm adamant about this.
Victor Mildew

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 16:20:57 »

I was born in Devizes, grew up in Bromham (where my Dad still lives, ironically in the house in which my Gran was born), went to school in Calne.

i lived in Bromham for 10 years or so (mum and dad still live there) moved to Melksham lived there for 14 years been in Calne since 2004 hoping to get out soon!
Victor Mildew

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 16:22:02 »

what happened??? Hmmm
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 21:50:26 »

Which part of Bromham do you live in?

My old man lives down St Ediths Marsh, I used to live in Highfield.
Ps.  I'm not a stalker honest

I live in Horsepool but moving to Sandridge common soon
MaxSpringer23

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 22:30:07 »

My Mum is from Bassett and my Dad's from Liverpool. Grandad from Preston and Nan from London. I was born in Swindon now living in Blackpool, coming down to Swindon to see my Dad every now and then, mainly for footy.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2011, 07:39:58 »

Indeed...there were 2 enclaves of Wiltshire near Reading, one around Spencer's Wood, and one around Twyford....I'm adamant about this.

Would be nice if this is true. I'm in Woodley and have received a battering from Reading mates for many many years. With Twyford being about 2 miles from Woodley please tell me that it used to be in Wiltshire Reg. Don't suppose you have any maps/evidence of this do you?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2011, 07:59:42 »

Would be nice if this is true. I'm in Woodley and have received a battering from Reading mates for many many years. With Twyford being about 2 miles from Woodley please tell me that it used to be in Wiltshire Reg. Don't suppose you have any maps/evidence of this do you?

These Wiltshire enclaves must be the reason we seem to have a fair few fans in & around Reading (!)  As it happens, my grandfather (who moved to Hurst when he was 4 from South Yorkshire and lived in the Reading area for much of the next 80+ years) learned to fly at Woodley Aerodrome before joining up in 1938.  He got called in to action in the Battle of Britain not long after.

Plenty of info about the Wiltshire enclaves on the web.  For example:

http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getconcise.php?id=199

Apart from Victorian and later tinkering, Wiltshire’s external border remains largely as it was in Saxon times, and in many places follows well-defined natural features. Where it adjoins Berkshire, however, the boundary is less clear-cut. Not only were territories such as Shalbourne and Hungerford divided by it, but there were also several places (including Hurst, Shinfield, Swallowfield and Wokingham), now wholly in Berkshire, which until 1844 had enclaves landlocked by Berkshire but regarded as parts of Wiltshire. These anomalies suggest that Berkshire and Wiltshire, or parts of them, were once regarded as a single unit of secular government (just as together they formed a diocese centred on Ramsbury), and that the line of the boundary when drawn between them in the later Saxon period was dictated by tenurial rather than political or military considerations.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: