Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How Wiltshire are you??  (Read 21647 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 00:37:54 »

Bandwagon

Wigster,  you'll probably find the fans that have more Wiltshire heritage come from the smaller market towns and villages.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 00:39:47 by 4D » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 06:24:32 »

Wigster,  you'll probably find the fans that have more Wiltshire heritage come from the smaller market towns and villages.

Almost certainly.  You've only got to look at a map of Swindon and compare it with a map from 50 or 100 years ago to see why most on here are outsiders.  Growth has been practically exponential...and significantly faster than surrounding towns/cities.

It's an immigrant town.  (Ironside will love that.)  Wink
Melksham Red

« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 07:07:00 »

When I started this I thought there would be loads of replies with similar families to myself, but only a couple of others have had families as static as mine.

Makes me wonder why any of you support Swindon really. When we regularly bang on about supporting your home team, that must be a fairly wide choice for some of you, yet you choose STFC.

Any psychology/sociology students out there willing to offer an explanation?

I'm not a qualified psycologist, however I'd say we are all fucking stupid!
Gelbfüßler

Was gücksch?

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 07:50:22 »

Not very.

Dad Kidlington, Mum Plymouth, Born in PMH, grew up in Bassett, now live in the middle of the triangle formed by Bedford, Luton and Hitchin.

Wir lassen uns unsere Liebe nicht nehmen
Nicht von den Bullen und nicht vom DFB
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 08:23:29 »

When I started this I thought there would be loads of replies with similar families to myself, but only a couple of others have had families as static as mine.

Makes me wonder why any of you support Swindon really. When we regularly bang on about supporting your home team, that must be a fairly wide choice for some of you, yet you choose STFC.

Any psychology/sociology students out there willing to offer an explanation?

A couple of old threads (that keep getting resurrected every now & then) have the answers to your question:

Where & why?

Why do you support Swindon Town?

For most, it seems it's not a blood line thing.  It was more that people just happened to have some kind of connection to Swindon at the time they caught the football bug.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 09:27:19 »

My dads sides are all massive Calneys!
My mum however grew up in Singapore & lived all over the world as her dad was in the RAF
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 09:31:51 »

Dont know my dads side as they split up when I was one and never had any contact.  Mums side back to great grandmother come from compton basset and calne.  I lived over the border in carterton and witney for maybe 4 years (clearly an error on my mothers part).  Then moved back to Nam.  My stepdads side of the family are chippenham through and through. 

Moved away as a growed up from 95 - 2005 to Leicester, Northampton and London.  Now Im back and the accent is returning.   

Never knowingly overstated.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 09:32:46 »

Tee hee your a Calney too!!!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 09:48:04 »

Well, lived with My gran in a flat in stokes croft on and off.  Thats before I was even at school so I wasnt too damaged by it!

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 09:58:40 »

I was born in Devizes, grew up in Bromham (where my Dad still lives, ironically in the house in which my Gran was born), went to school in Calne.

Virtually all the family going back donkeys years are/were from Wiltshire.

So I guess the answer to the original question is......... Very Wiltshire, not very Swindon
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 10:03:25 »

My Mum moved over from Italy to the UK when she was three. First to Chesterfield then Wolverhampton, then Swindon when she was about nine.

Dad came over when he was in his twenties, met my Mum in Swindon, married, moved over to Germany for two years, had my sister and then came back to Swindon in 1985. I was born at PMH in 1987. Lived on County Road until I was nine, so as a kid grew up right next to the football club. My first game was in 1994.

So to answer the question, only me!
Coca Fola

« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 10:40:06 »

My dads sides are all massive Calneys!
My mum however grew up in Singapore & lived all over the world as her dad was in the RAF
My dad grew up in Singapore for a bit as my grandad was in the marines out there.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 10:41:11 »

I was born in Devizes, grew up in Bromham (where my Dad still lives, ironically in the house in which my Gran was born), went to school in Calne.
Virtually all the family going back donkeys years are/were from Wiltshire.
So I guess the answer to the original question is......... Very Wiltshire, not very Swindon

How funny! I live in Bromham & GK Nash the delightful stokes croft area is where I grew up!
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 10:43:02 »

How funny! I live in Bromham & GK Nash the delightful stokes croft area is where I grew up!

My gran (on my dad's side) was a Hawkstreet Amor - so I still have loads of 2nd cousins down there.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 10:48:28 »

I went for a drive round Calne (weird I know,but when you have a child who wont sleep unless she's in a car, even Calne seems like a nice drive) and couldnt find stokes croft.  Has It been flattened?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: