Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Burton official matchday thread  (Read 28105 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 19:18:38 »

Burton fan in peace here.

First of all got to say that for the first twenty minutes I was convinced we were going to get hammered by you yesterday; it seemed to be a case of when the first goal went into our net the floodgates were probably going to open.  It didn't quite turn out that way, which was obviously good news for us, but I think it is plain to see that if you get a goalscorer or two in the side you are going to go flying up the table.

Thankfully our defence stood firm throughout (our Conference winning back four as well) and with a little help from your keeper at the start of the second half, much needed points came our way.  After the debacle of last season, we are only looking at how many points we need to be safe from relegation and anything from then on will be a bonus.

I've read on here some comments about the reaction to the attendance announcement.  I can't speak for all Burton supporters, but I don't know of anyone who was even slightly offended by it.  The thing is that we are used to it, but then as a small club we know we are punching above our weight and that's what makes supporting Burton fun these days.  Plymouth and Poxford were slagging the club off after recent games and reactions such as "if we can't beat little clubs like Burton...." just make us smile.  We know our place and you'll not find our lot getting above their station, that's for sure.

Got to say your support was outstanding yesterday from where I was stood on the North terrace, and you made more noise than most that have visited us in recent years.  I hope that everyone who came up for the match enjoyed their day (result excepted) and got home safely.

Good luck for the remainder of the season and I hope you get back to L1 football soon enough.  There's no doubt you've got a good team there and as I said above, with a goalscorer in there you be moving up soon enough.

Finally, got to mention one thing from yesterday.  "2-0 and you still don't sing" - trust me, we could have been 10-0 up and you wouldn't have heard a peep from our lot.  No idea why but there has never been singing from Burton in all the years I've been watching them.

Nice post,seems you have a decent set up and manager.

All the best to yourselfs also...at least your manager didn't get into the lets slag Di Canio scenario..
Incidently i have a delivery in Wednesbury first thing...Strawberry Lane Doh
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 19:23:47 »

Burton fan in peace here...

...Plymouth and Poxford were slagging the club off after recent games....

nice Cool

Things get better but they never get good
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 19:33:57 »

I felt our supporters were brilliant at Burton yesterday, singing for the duration and banterous as normal!...nothing wrong with giving a good old 'waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay' to the attendance, all part of the fun and I don't believe any malice was intended at all. I fully enjoyed my trip to Burton, although a few more cashpoints wouldnt go-a-miss but fair play to Wednesbury, good luck to you as well!...Like many on here next 4 games could be important and an unbeaten run with 3 victories would set us up nicely!...from last 4 games we have taken 9 points out of 12 after losing 4 straight. We aren't worldbeaters but I think we are turning the corner and in my opinion it won't be long before we are challenging in the play offs and above!

Lastly, the Peter Reid sacking at Plymouth I find disgraceful...an untenable position since he was pretty much appointed manager and he literally gave everything for their cause (inc. 30k from an FA Cup medal). It wouldnt suprise me if we don't have a game 22nd October either.

Cheers

Maj

#VivaKenBarlow!
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 19:40:26 »

Right, after 34 hours or so I feel I must add my two penn'eth.  Some of the football we played in that first 25 minutes would have been a credit to the Championship with 2,3 and 4 man moves with one touch passing and everyone seemed to want to move forward and take the ball. I just had a worry that unless we scored fairly soon we'd be open to a counter attack & so it proved.  At that stage one goal down wasn't the end & it looked like we could pull it back. Connell seemed to have injured his foot as he motioned towards the bench so not entirely surprised when Storey started the second half.  Won't dwell on their second as most will have seen it on FL Show but Lanzano wasn't concentrating.  However having brought on Storey, whose pace is one of his strengths, why did we keep hoofing it up in the air for him & Kerrouche?  They won nothing in the air, Kerrouche got frustrated then booked & Burton's centre back won the MOM award because of the ease with which he dealt with our attacks. If we'd played it on the deck then we'd have been in with a chance of getting at least a goal and maybe something from the game. The result was disappointing but it's not the end of the World as others have pointed out. Frustrating & that frustration was made worse when I heard Clarke had scored a hat trick for Chesterfield.

Positives from yesterday were the 2 central defenders Devera & McCormack who looked very safe & confident, Ferry & Abdullah were involved constructively in the game and Caddis whose first half display was very positive.  Good day out with friendly fans & pleasant ground - but the result still rankles
Spencer_White

« Reply #289 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 19:46:15 »

I thought the half time bar was good. Often dont get one with a terrace. Lots of bar staff, very quick pulling the pints, TV with with a live feed. Enclosed as well, so would be fairly warm in the winter.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 20:36:47 »

Frustrating result, but I would have taken 3 wins out of 4 before Rotherham. Good chance to bounce back next saturday.

My only minor gripe is the lack of options on the bench, would have been good to have one of Esajas or Gabilondo on it instead of Commazi or Chibocci. The change back to 5 subs is incredibly annoying.
the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 08:13:40 »

Our STFC at Burton Albion match report: http://thewashbag.com/2011/09/19/burton-albion-2-swindon-town-0-town-served-a-reality-check/

juddie

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 09:03:15 »

How was the beer festival?
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 09:32:13 »

You like over reacting don't you.

If you seriously think taking the piss because the opposition are a smaller club, is on the same level as doing so for someone with a broken leg I feel sorry for you

The odd thing is, this is exactly the sort if over reaction that we (quite rightly) criticise the idiot minority of our fans for (albeit for a very different reason).

I get the feeling that you need to chill out a bit

of course i don't think it's the same, that was quite blatantly sarcasm...

i just don't see the problem with making a few friends along the way and i felt that saturday was one of those rare occasions because i enjoyed the 'burton experience'.  i've been heading up and down the country for 20 odd years following the town and have seen it all so yes i do know what it is all about

i've always thought you to be a reasonable, sound poster but do think you've been a bit too quick to pounce here really and also think the chill out line is a bit out of place, i know very few people more chilled out than me to be honest.  if the reason i need to chill out is because i think you don't always have to belittle the opposition then i have lived my life completely incorrectly, if anything i should be chilling out less surely?

can we just put this behind us now, in the first place it was little more than a throw away comment and was just the culmination of a number of disappointing fans for reasons covered elsewhere.

the last thing i expected was an argument that was going to still be going on monday morning
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 09:38:32 »

Apologies, I haven't gone back over the thread (yet) before throwing in my tuppence worth...

We started very brightly and could have had a couple of goals if we'd been a little more clinical (or lucky for that matter) and got hit by a suckerpunch that took the impetus out of our play. Ritchie was key in the opening exchanges but faded, partly due to Burton doubling up on him at times - made easier by the fact that all our player came down the right side - but I thought it looked like our heads dropped a bit, first time I've seen it under Di Canio. The second goal was a total farce and a terrible error from Lanzano but we were awful in the second half, totally devoid of ideas and never looked threatening. Too much aimless hoofing up the pitch and the lack of attacking options on the bench hindered our chances of getting back into the game.

As impressive as McCormack has been I hope this will signal the end of the makeshift centre back partnership and we bring Comazzi or Flint back in and it's important that we have a pair at the back who can forge a partnership over the course of the season. Sooner or later McCormack will be needed in midfield so is not a long term option in my opinion.

Smith is adapting to this level and is improving with each game, I was critical of him the first few times I saw him but he has improved although some areas of concern remain - he's still too late in the tackle and sometimes very wasteful. De Vita is my main concern, he does not offer us much on the left and as a result nearly all our play comes down one flank which makes it easier for opposition to shut us out of games. I have no idea what has happened to Gabilondo but hope to see him back in the side soon.

Anyway, 3 wins out of 4 is not to be sniffed at and Burton look like they'll do well this year. Solid team, albeit punching above their weight, but a nice ground. I heard there was close to 1,000 Town fans there so hoping for a good crowd at the County Ground this weekend. I've got my ticket on my own in the old folks bit of the Arkells.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 09:55:02 »

i reckon de vita is playing ok, he's won nearly all of his headers in the last four or five games and i think di canio realises our left hand side cannot compete with the play our right side produce and is playing de vita there because he will drift in a bit and is more likely to threaten at the far post than others.  he also helps out ok on the defensive side, can't see gabby or esejas doing that so much.

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 14:38:38 »

can we just put this behind us now, in the first place it was little more than a throw away comment and was just the culmination of a number of disappointing fans for reasons covered elsewhere.

the last thing i expected was an argument that was going to still be going on monday morning

Fair enough, and For what it's worth I think Burton have a decent set up.
As I posted before the game it's a tidy ground with what looked a pretty decent playing surface.

And I think you are spot on about De Vita, I'm sure part of the reason he is playing is to cover Kennedy defensively. I'm not sure either of the other two would do that.
Claymillman

« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 07:34:21 »

Burton fan here. I echo much of what has been said on the game. Sure you should have been out of sight within 25mins. The rare times we had the ball, we generously passed it back to you. However, our defence played well, and more importantly we took our chances.
My main reason for posting though concerns the pitch watering which has been causing some discussion. The pitch is watered via an auto system through 3 pairs of nozzles. One pair in each half plus one at the half way line. These operate in turn starting at the West end, then Centre, then finally the East end where your away stand is.
The other thing to bear in mind is that Swindon won the toss, and decided to change ends, which of course would destroy any cunning plan by Burton to doctor the pitch to our advantage.
Personally I think you have a very good team, and you will play worse than last Saturday, and win games. Keep the faith with your manager, give him time, I'm sure he'll do well for you. He loves the game and wears his heart on his sleeve.
Thanks for many of the nice comments made about our set up, and good luck. Smiley
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 08:12:10 by Claymillman » Logged
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #298 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 07:43:01 »

All these posts from Burton fans, actually make me want to like the club!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 08:13:33 »

Burton fan here. I echo much of what has been said on the game. Sure you should have been out of sight within 25mins. The rare times we had the ball, we generously passed it back to you. However, our defence played well, and more importantly we took our chances.
My main reason for posting though concerns the pitch watering which has been causing some discussion. The pitch is watered via an auto system through 3 pairs of nozzles. One pair in each half plus one at the half way line. These operate in turn starting at the West end, then Centre, then finally the East end where your away stand is.
The other thing to bear in mind is that Swindon won the toss, and decided to change ends, which of course would destroy any cunning plan by Burton to doctor the pitch to our advantage.
Personally I think you have a very good team, and you will play worse than last Saturday, and win games. Keep the faith with your manager, give him time, I'm sure he'll do well for you. He loves the game and wears his heart on his sleeve.
Thanks for many of the nice comments made about our set up, and good luck. Smiley

That was me mainly, please bear in mind I had been at the beer festival and I do think the Mel gibson film conspiracy theory  is based on fact Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: