Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paul Smith a bust?  (Read 1475 times)
Dazzza

« on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 17:38:45 »

FORMER Gillingham captain Paul Smith may yet find himself back playing in the Coca-Cola League Championship after attracting interest from Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday.

Smith, who is available on a free transfer, will have talks this week with new Derby boss Phil Brown and Sheffield Wednesday manager Paul Sturrock.

Swindon were the first to express an interest in the midfielder who had a meeting last week with manager Andy King who made him an offer.

Smith confirmed: “I had talks with Andy King who made me an offer. But I’m flattered that big clubs like Derby and Sheffield Wednesday want to speak to me and I want to hear what they have to say.

“It goes without saying that I would jump at the chance to stay in the Championship.”

Smith, whose 342 League appearances for Gillingham put him seventh in the all-time list, said he was disappointed to learn of chairman Paul Scally’s scathing attack on him, Mamady Sidibe, Nicky Southall and Nyron Nosworthy, who have also left Priestfield on free transfers.

Smith rejected Gillingham’s offer citing the fact that it represented a 70 per cent pay cut.

He said: “I spent eight years with Gillingham and was honoured to win four Player of the Year awards. So I was disappointed to read what the chairman said about me and the other lads who have moved on.

“I remember when things were said about Simon Osborn after he left Gillingham. He pointed out that there were two sides to every story and he wasn’t prepared to give his at that time.

“I will not get involved in a war of words. I will leave it at that – for the time being.”

Smith praised the support he had received from former manager Stan Ternent who assured him he would have no trouble in finding another club.

Smith admitted: “When I left Gillingham I was at a low ebb because I truly believed I would finish my career at Priestfield.

“I rang Stan for a chat and he was absolutely brilliant and really lifted my spirits.”

Report from Medway Messenger

hansgruber

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 17:42:34 »

Can't see why Derby/Sheff Weds would want an ageing midfielder with their squads, but stranger things have happened.
Dazzza

« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 17:57:52 »

Derby is an odd one by me as well they should be sniffing around the PO's again next season so he's clearly rated upstairs in the Championship.

Fact he's held talks doesn't look to good if they make any sort of offer were scuppered really.

hansgruber

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 18:01:45 »

I guess it depends on whether he's interested in money or whether he wants guaranteed football every week. Hopefully it's the latter, because I reckon he's exactly what we need. Fingers crossed!
Spencer_White

« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 18:10:19 »

Says a lot about footballers in this country that these sort of players are at a premium.
red macca

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2005, 14:00:45 »

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,1811_568274,00.html

hope this is a good sign Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: