Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Vs Southend - Official Match day Thread  (Read 31796 times)
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 07:05:22 »

So memorable for a number of reasons. Mainly bad!

You don't choose your football team. The same way you can't choose the colour of your eyes or the natural colour of your hair. You are born with it, if you aren't then it isn't real. End of!

That's arguably the most stupid comment you've ever made.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
nevillew

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 07:18:53 »

There have always been many people who crave the reflected glory of picking a major team to follow. It's just so much more visible these days

I realise that football attendances below the top level have declined over the years (since I started going in the late sixties anyway) but that's a change in society with many more alternatives to absorb peoples' leisure time, as well as the change in the family dynamic where the male head of the family was the breadwinner and was thus 'entitled' to his entertainment .

Televised football was also a rarity, so you had to go to games if you wanted to see the game, and travel (as OST mentioned) was more challenging, thus more people stayed local for their fix

In today's overhyped, over emotional, insecure world where folks are desperate to belong, of course we're all going to notice the plastics  - I don't remember seeing replica flat caps or overcoats, at best it would have been rosettes and rattles.

Each to their own I say. I have non-match attending friends with opinions on the game that I respect, and some others. At least I'll go out and meet them to talk about it though, I don't have to belong to a clan/tribe to do that.

nevillew

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 07:20:24 »

I might have started to sound like talktalk there, sorry about that.

Muffin Man

« Reply #318 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 08:30:12 »

You don't choose your football team. The same way you can't choose the colour of your eyes or the natural colour of your hair. You are born with it, if you aren't then it isn't real. End of!

Sorry but thats pathetic, everbody has a choice.

Even though I was born into a 3rd generation Swindon supporting family I never felt the need to follow Swindon, I chose to.

I wanted to watch live football and back in the 70's if I wanted to watch games then I had to go to the CG. There was the rare England game live on TV and the FA Cup final and WC but that was pretty much it.
phelpsieboy

« Reply #319 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 08:31:18 »

You can choose, I was born into a Leeds supporting family, but I chose to support Swindon since the age of 5
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 12:31:27 »

None of my family had any interest in football. I'm not that bothered myself.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 14:17:03 »

So memorable for a number of reasons. Mainly bad!

Some are born into it, some aren't.

I married Swindon Town.

Before I  met my Missus, I wasn't a supporter of any club. My local team was Gillingham and I went to some Gills games (Ken Price anyone? Fans running onto the pitch at Priestfield during a Town vist and lumping the ref?).

When I met She Who Must Be Obeyed, she was (and remains) a season ticket holder. When I was able to visit Swindon on leave, I got taken to some games, standing in the Town End, having a whale of a time, even when Swindon lost. SWMBO and her friends used to wax lyrical about the prowess of Dave Bamber. I didn't see him score for ages so made a declaration. When I was at a game that Bamber scored in, I would be an official paid up fan/ supporter whatever you want to call it. He did and here I am, 27 or so years later Swindon Till I Die Beers
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 14:19:11 »

paula abdull didn't do much of note when he came on and, other than having a really bizzare running style, neither did storey.

I was thinking about this. Put Storey in a pair of trousers too short for him, a tweed jacket and flat cap and he would be Freddy Starr doing a Norman Wisdom Cheesy
Talk Talk

« Reply #323 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 14:29:21 »

I might have started to sound like talktalk there, sorry about that.

Are you Talk Talk in disguise? Are you Talk Talk in disguise?

DV's point is a load of old hyaena offal. Take me. It took a stupid idea for a stadium relocation to get me hooked. Bloody Diamandis.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 15:11:38 »

There have always been many people who crave the reflected glory of picking a major team to follow. It's just so much more visible these days

what is really annoying is the scandis, both the danes and sweedish all support an english side, usually liverpool, arsenal or utd - i don't mind it too much as they tend to support their local side too.  the annoying bit is that over the last few years i've seen more and more chelsea fans pop up from the two nations, guys in their late teens, early twenties.  they've all obviously chosen to support them since they started winning stuff. i hate it.

i do have one sweedish mate who is a hammer though so he gets a little more respect from me.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 15:13:50 »

what is really annoying is the scandis, both the danes and sweedish all support an english side, usually liverpool, arsenal or utd - i don't mind it too much as they tend to support their local side too.  the annoying bit is that over the last few years i've seen more and more chelsea fans pop up from the two nations, guys in their late teens, early twenties.  they've all obviously chosen to support them since they started winning stuff. i hate it.

i do have one sweedish mate who is a hammer though so he gets a little more respect from me.

He sounds like a right tool to me
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 16:15:21 »

you've hit the nail on the head there.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: