Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC V STFC - Official Matchday Thread  (Read 42691 times)
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 17:03:36 »

If you are honestly trying to suggest a player can undermine the manager then you live in Cuckoo land,oh and by the way he aint a good back up player either in my view or in fact the last two managers view,why he was sent out on loan as he couldn't even make the bench.

No one knows the reason for the fall out between them,so stop the guessing games,ignore the comments and get behind the manager,not a player who has done fuck all in three years.

My post said IF the comments were true, not that I'm taking them as the full truth, but they suggested to me a healthy difference of opinion in a team discussion rather than undermining the manager.  There is a big difference between these - I think being able to have open opinions is necessary; but as we're all going on heresay I agree with you that its best to stop the guessing game.

I remain fully behind PdC but that doesn't mean I can't feel uncomfortable about some issues.

And as for Timlin, I'd have wanted to ship him out if we'd still been in L1 but believe he's a solid squad player at this level and he played enough games under Wilson to suggest that he didn't entirely think him a waste of space, but I accept that others will have differing opinions.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 19:34:42 »

Wow. Just got back from an internet free weekend. Looking through this thread does not make for happy reading. Thank God for seize cent soixante quatre  Pint

I was as much in the dark as anyone (and still am for that matter) as to how this season might turn out with Paolo in charge. But for any faults he might have, or any shortcomings the players might have, I seriously, never ever thought for a second that I would have to read the words 'lack of heart' in relation to a Town performance this season. I haven't looked at every post on this thread so I don't know. Is that actually justified?

We all knew Di Canio was a bit of a volatile character to say the least and it seems to me (as has been alluded to elsewhere) that he seems to make quite 'snap' decisions on players ,whether that be in a positive or negative sense. An example of this being Risser who was signed on the basis of a few 'really good' training sessions and made club captain on the basis of a couple of games against Italian pub sides. On the flip side you have the consigning of Timlin to the scrap heap having started the season in the first XI. I also suspect he is not particularly approachable - and yes, I'm surmising/reading between the lines/going on gut feeling here. Let's face it though, that's all that pretty much all of us have to go on.

For what it's worth (which is not a lot) my gut feeling is that Di Canio is probably a bit of a loon who went to the Genghis Khan School of Man Management. This is why I am buying the theory/facebook rumour/whatever you want to call it, that the lads went in at half time on Saturday, having played, from what I can gather, pretty well, only to get the collective 'hair drier' treatment from PDC (for reasons as yet unknown). This knocks the bollocks out of them as a team and the end result is something of a debacle.

When Di Canio was appointed my view was that it would be ridiculously successful or a complete disaster (and I could not see him hanging around too long in either scenario). I could not imagine it being anywhere in between. At this point we would appear to be heading down the latter road. Please let me be wrong.

« Last Edit: Monday, August 29, 2011, 19:37:35 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
stfcinbmth

« Reply #422 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 19:46:02 »

Wow. Just got back from an internet free weekend. Looking through this thread does not make for happy reading. Thank God for seize cent soixante quatre  Pint

I was as much in the dark as anyone (and still am for that matter) as to how this season might turn out with Paolo in charge. But for any faults he might have, or any shortcomings the players might have, I seriously, never ever thought for a second that I would have to read the words 'lack of heart' in relation to a Town performance this season. I haven't looked at every post on this thread so I don't know. Is that actually justified?

We all knew Di Canio was a bit of a volatile character to say the least and it seems to me (as has been alluded to elsewhere) that he seems to make quite 'snap' decisions on players ,whether that be in a positive or negative sense. An example of this being Risser who was signed on the basis of a few 'really good' training sessions and made club captain on the basis of a couple of games against Italian pub sides. On the flip side you have the consigning of Timlin to the scrap heap having started the season in the first XI. I also suspect he is not particularly approachable - and yes, I'm surmising/reading between the lines/going on gut feeling here. Let's face it though, that's all that pretty much all of us have to go on.

For what it's worth (which is not a lot) my gut feeling is that Di Canio is probably a bit of a loon who went to the Genghis Khan School of Man Management. This is why I am buying the theory/facebook rumour/whatever you want to call it, that the lads went in at half time on Saturday, having played, from what I can gather, pretty well, only to get the collective 'hair drier' treatment from PDC (for reasons as yet unknown). This knocks the bollocks out of them as a team and the end result is something of a debacle.

When Di Canio was appointed my view was that it would be ridiculously successful or a complete disaster (and I could not see him hanging around too long in either scenario). I could not imagine it being anywhere in between. At this point we would appear to be heading down the latter road. Please let me be wrong.

Think that sums it up pretty much
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 19:48:10 »

Brian Clough regularly blasted his teams at half time....once they were leading 4-0 and said to them this is shit,you are playing like girls....they went out and scored another three.
Now if people are seriously trying to tell me that because the manager MAY have said they were heartless i would have thought as a pro you would want to go out and prove him wrong,after all this manager has given this bunch of have/havn't beens a great opportunity on good money and nice contracts.

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:01:11 »

Brian Clough regularly blasted his teams at half time....once they were leading 4-0 and said to them this is shit,you are playing like girls....they went out and scored another three.
Now if people are seriously trying to tell me that because the manager MAY have said they were heartless i would have thought as a pro you would want to go out and prove him wrong,after all this manager has given this bunch of have/havn't beens a great opportunity on good money and nice contracts.

Agree with you Leefer. The idea that the players played shit because they got shouted at is a lame excuse.
They would have had pelters from various people during their time playing football. I'm sure they would have felt at times it was unjustified too.
Muffin Man

« Reply #425 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:09:19 »

Whether he had a go at them or not, whether they felt they deserved it or not they should fucking man up about it, boo hoo hoo he called me crap I am going to throw a girlie strop and not put in as much effort as I should do.

be a fucking professional and take it on the chin and just give your all all the time FFS.

End of overpaid pansies rant.
Parkin09

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:18:06 »

They're professional footballers not U9's, if they get a little upset because there manager had a go at them they need to get another job.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:21:00 »

These last three posts have restored my faith in the TEF.  For awhile there it was all getting a bit thisis
Spencer_White

« Reply #428 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:28:06 »

The point is more that Di Canio ripped up the instruction manual at half time and told them to do something different, not that they got upset.

Honestly think the lack of effort thing is a load of bollocks from Di Canio. The players were still running around just as much second half (except maybe the subs Esejas and Magera who were a bit lazy). Just the whole cohesion of the team had gone. Tactics had gone out of the window.

And in any case, you lot seem to be forgetting the whole point of a bloody manager in the first place. That he 'Manages' the team. Worst half time managerial intervention Ive ever seen by a Swindon manager. He needs to take a look at himself.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:35:55 by Spencer_White » Logged
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:51:33 »

So Spence are you ruling out any impact Turner may have had at half time? Maybe it's not quite as one-sided as you think.
Spencer_White

« Reply #430 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:52:57 »

So Spence are you ruling out any impact Turner may have had at half time? Maybe it's not quite as one-sided as you think.

Yeah, fine. Get him in charge then.

(Yes Im Taking the piss).
« Last Edit: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:55:14 by Spencer_White » Logged
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:56:11 »

My post said IF the comments were true, not that I'm taking them as the full truth, but they suggested to me a healthy difference of opinion in a team discussion rather than undermining the manager.  There is a big difference between these - I think being able to have open opinions is necessary; but as we're all going on heresay I agree with you that its best to stop the guessing game.

I remain fully behind PdC but that doesn't mean I can't feel uncomfortable about some issues.

And as for Timlin, I'd have wanted to ship him out if we'd still been in L1 but believe he's a solid squad player at this level and he played enough games under Wilson to suggest that he didn't entirely think him a waste of space, but I accept that others will have differing opinions.

Just reminded me of that documentery of the season we one promotion to the premiership. Glenn Hoddle telling players off for playing passes that put other players under pressure and Mickey Hazard pointing out that Hoddle had done exactly the same thing.

The link to it is here but I can't remember which section it's in: http://www.frontlinefootball.com/Football-Documentaries/thats-football/

It's been said when the likes of Hoddle went to Tottenham that a lot of the players were pissed off at the time because, although well into retirement, he could still give them a run for their money on the training ground and play passes etc that they just weren't capable of.

Is this something that you see often when you take one of the games great players and they become managers? The fact that they are still able to to do things that their players just cant?

Most of the greatest managers in English football history haven't had the glittering playing careers the likes of Macari, Ardiles, et al have had. Ferguson & Wenger spring to mind in the current era, Paisley, Shankley etc if you want to go back further and even Clough in between (Okay great start but curtailed through injury).

Just a thought.

I DO want PDC to succeed and won't be slashing my own wrists in despair for another couple of months.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 20:57:49 »

But it's a serious point, no?

You seem to suggest that the role reversal was all down to Di Canio throwing some sort of wobbler at half time yet you don't account for Turner firing them up. Pretty sure they'd see us a big scalp - PDC effect - and had lost 3 on the bounce so I'd be banging into them that we were there for the taking. And they did.

Credit where credit's due and all that.
Spencer_White

« Reply #433 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 21:04:38 »

Fell to pieces 2nd half.

Looks like we'll be giving a lot of credit to the Shrewsbury's, and the Dagenhams, and the Cheltenhams. Bravo, well done them.

'lets hear it for the Mexicans'.

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 21:21:01 »

I'm sure Di canio did say something during half time,but unless he changed the shape of the team i can't see how his words could lose us the game. Unless he told them they will now be training 3 times a day 7 days a week Wink
« Last Edit: Monday, August 29, 2011, 21:26:31 by arriba » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: