Pages: 1 ... 487 488 489 [490] 491 492 493 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1976410 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7335 on: Monday, March 8, 2021, 13:07:33 »

Keith Curle to Oldham
Ouch Smiley I bet thats gone down well in Oldham!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #7336 on: Monday, March 8, 2021, 20:26:06 »

I wouldn't mind Sol here in the summer. Great for Costanza's count of Town managers' international caps too.

If it was a choice of Sheridan or Sol then Sol all day long..

Apart from that I wouldn't want Sol.  Don't like the bloke, haven't seen anything to say he would be a decent manager and it would be all about him rather than the team - oh and if he heard me give that opinion he would already be branding me racist.

I'll pass thanks, given the chance.

I really hope we get a young ex pro with fresh ideas wanting to make his name as a manager.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #7337 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 09:19:00 »

If it was a choice of Sheridan or Sol then Sol all day long..

Apart from that I wouldn't want Sol.  Don't like the bloke, haven't seen anything to say he would be a decent manager and it would be all about him rather than the team

Personally I'd say what he did at Macclesfield was pretty impressive.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #7338 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 10:02:10 »

Personally I'd say what he did at Macclesfield was pretty impressive.

In the circumstances he was dealing with I agree, but his record at Macclesfield was similar to Sheridan's at Swindon during a pandemic. 

TBF My dislike and opinion is more to do with Sol and his ego.  Whoever comes into Swindon, it is important that they don't just turn us around and bring fresh ideas on the pitch but also reunite the club/fans/community in the same way that Wellens did, we seriously need it. I don't think that is Sol's forte purely from my outside view of course.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #7339 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 10:04:17 »

In the circumstances he was dealing with I agree, but his record at Macclesfield was similar to Sheridan's at Swindon during a pandemic. 

TBF My dislike and opinion is more to do with Sol and his ego.  Whoever comes into Swindon, it is important that they don't just turn us around and bring fresh ideas on the pitch but also reunite the club/fans/community in the same way that Wellens did, we seriously need it. I don't think that is Sol's forte purely from my outside view of course.

Yeah I hear what you are saying and agree completely.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #7340 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 10:19:22 »

Yeah I hear what you are saying and agree completely.
+1

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7341 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 10:32:44 »

I agree completely albeit I would suggest there is not that much different in ego terms between Wellens and Campbell, my observation would be that when he arrived and for the first season Wellens knew we were possibly a bit of  a last chance saloon for him and kept his ego under control, come season 2 when he had the comfort of the promotion it emerged with fucking bells on, he frankly disappeared up his own arse it was hard to hear his voice at times! 
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #7342 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 10:50:14 »

I agree completely albeit I would suggest there is not that much different in ego terms between Wellens and Campbell, my observation would be that when he arrived and for the first season Wellens knew we were possibly a bit of  a last chance saloon for him and kept his ego under control, come season 2 when he had the comfort of the promotion it emerged with fucking bells on, he frankly disappeared up his own arse it was hard to hear his voice at times! 

But this was nothing to do with Wellens, we were talking about Campbell.  However, if a manager comes in and wins a title playing great football I think a bit of ego is expected and deserved, the difference with Sol is that he has the massive ego about his managerial stature already and hasn't done anything.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7343 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 11:22:51 »

Have to say I agree, although I suspect he's a better manager than people think, but his ego overshadows his record.
Panda Paws

« Reply #7344 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 13:15:17 »

Where do the opinions re his ego come from? I watch a lot football and read about football a lot. I don't recall anything from his time at Southend or Macc that made me think he was a twat?

He played up a bit during his playing days, but that's 20 years ago.

Is it his tendency to "play the race card"? There's probably a lot of truth in what he says on that front.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #7345 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 13:36:32 »

One of my favourite Sol Campbell stories, from the Guardian a few years back:

A few weeks back, the sports minister, Helen Grant, arranged a summit at Whitehall to discuss why there are so few black managers and coaches in the game. Senior figures from the Football Association were there, along with the Premier League, the Professional Footballers’ Association and the Football League. There were guests from Kick It Out and Show Racism the Red Card and Sol Campbell also received an invitation, as an ex-England player who is frustrated, understandably, by the lack of opportunities.

What Campbell does not appear to realise, perhaps, is that the best way to get a point across is without ego or too much self-esteem.

On this occasion he wanted the FA’s technical director, Dan Ashworth, to explain why Gary Neville had been fast-tracked through the system to become one of Roy Hodgson’s assistants with the England team. Ashworth started talking about the favourable impression Neville had made on Hodgson and the players and was running through the processes that were involved when Campbell put out his hand to interrupt him. This is when things started to get a little strange.

“But I am Sol Campbell.”

As you might imagine, that isn’t a particularly easy sentence to come back from. Ashworth did his best to continue because, well, what else could he do? But it is fair to say the entire room had been engulfed in awkwardness and when Ashworth stopped talking there was another tumbleweed moment. Campbell, hand out, ended the conversation in the same way he had started it.

“But I am Sol Campbell.”

He was correct. But whether he gets an invitation the next time there is one of these discussions is not entirely clear.

I think it's definitely possible to believe both that on average black players get a raw deal from football when looking to move into management, and that separately Sol Campbell is perhaps a bit of a bellend.

That said, a great many football managers are bellends and Campbell probably more than his fair share of people pointing that out.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7346 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 13:55:23 »

Where do the opinions re his ego come from? I watch a lot football and read about football a lot. I don't recall anything from his time at Southend or Macc that made me think he was a twat?
That's a fair point. Certainly for me, it's stuff like Nemo's story, so post his playing days but before his more recent spell in management. Maybe he has changed more recently, as you say I also don't recall anything from his spells at Southend or Macclesfield, both jobs where he was fighting with one hand tied behind his back but just got on with it.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #7347 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 13:55:24 »

He played up a bit during his playing days, but that's 20 years ago.

Is it his tendency to "play the race card"? There's probably a lot of truth in what he says on that front.

There are quite a few examples of it both as a player and a manager, my favourite being

"Campbell made headlines this week when he said he could not understand why he – “one of the greatest minds in football” – was getting overlooked for jobs."

Peter Venkman

« Reply #7348 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 14:24:58 »

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sol-campbell-reveals-turned-down-1357545

Thats the article, there have been more, he is a walking ego.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/sol-campbell-labelled-insufferable-after-controversial-sky-appearance

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-20467651.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sol-campbells-ego-prevented-him-3222321

https://www.footballinsider247.com/tottenham-fans-campbell/

https://www.lolfootball.com/sol-campbell-wins-arrogant-man-of-the-year-in-black-managers-debate/

Panda Paws

« Reply #7349 on: Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 14:43:22 »

There is nothing in here that is remotely interesting or different to any other manager: https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sol-campbell-reveals-turned-down-1357545

The rest are all quoting the same podcast - Fair enough, claiming to be one of the best minds in football 5 years ago was daft, but it's hardly enough in my book for him to be labelled as someone with a out-of-control ego.

Surely the fact he went into the two most basket case clubs and did a good job at both shows he a pretty hands-on, humble guy. Can't imagine Fat Frank doing that, but then daddy and uncle Harry made sure he didn't have to.

I don't think he's any better or worse than a whole bunch of other semi-failed managers. I just don't get the reaction he seems to spark from some, based on very little.
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 489 [490] 491 492 493 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: