Pages: 1 ... 481 482 483 [484] 485 486 487 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1968016 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #7245 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:42:41 »

So when Sheridan dies leave - Praise de Lord! - what kind of manager would we want?

Historically, any success we’ve had over the past 50 years has been with rookie managers - Macari, Ardiles, Hoddle, Mcmahon (spits), PdC, Wellens

Is this the road to take again? Don’t think I could welcome yet another ‘roundabout’ manager.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #7246 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:43:09 »

So when Sheridan dies

Bit strong isn't it!! ;-)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #7247 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:43:54 »

But yeah I would go for a young manager who wants to prove themselves. It'll be annoying to be a stepping stone but until someone purchases us and makes us a club with serious ambition that's all we'll ever be, so may as well make the most out of it!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #7248 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:46:53 »

So when Sheridan dies leave - Praise de Lord! - what kind of manager would we want?

Historically, any success we’ve had over the past 50 years has been with rookie managers - Macari, Ardiles, Hoddle, Mcmahon (spits), PdC, Wellens

Is this the road to take again? Don’t think I could welcome yet another ‘roundabout’ manager.

Yes I do think the road to take would be a progressive hungry manager. Look at the positive steps we had made under Wellens, can you imagine where we might be now if there had been no pandemic and he had been able to sign the players he wanted/needed to take us to the next level?

I'd like to think we might look down that path again, there is absolutely zero way of progressing as a football team with the current man in charge. Perhaps Gareth Barry might like to cut his managerial teeth at STFC for instance.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #7249 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:54:00 »

Bit strong isn't it!! ;-)
Oops! Freudian slip!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7250 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:02:05 »

Perhaps Gareth Barry might like to cut his managerial teeth at STFC for instance.
Pretty sure GB said he wasn't interested in a career in football now so I doubt would be an option.

Swindon has a great track record of taking ex international/top level players looking for their first management job in football straight after long playing careers and having a fair amount of success.

Macari, Ardiles, Hoddle, McMahon, PdC....

Yes of course we had one that didn't work so well in Malpas, but Malpas had 1 season in chage in Scotland so doesn't count in the same bracket.

I would welcome an experienced international footballer with great fresh ideas and a willingness to learn the ropes with us with no previous experience in managing.

I do not want another jobbing been around for years with no success type like Sheridan, Tisdale, Brown etc etc.

We must be an appealing prospect, Tony Adams, Martin Keown and Stuart Pearce all live fairly locally and have been approached in the past and at the time were similar style candidates.

There must be some ambitious footballers coming to the end of long top level careers that see us as a stepping stone?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #7251 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:05:35 »

Any sort of ‘name’ would want certain assurances as to budget, aspirations, progression. I suppose I put the cart before horse in asking about the next manager when just about everything depends on the next owner.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #7252 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:12:57 »

Any sort of ‘name’ would want certain assurances as to budget, aspirations, progression. I suppose I put the cart before horse in asking about the next manager when just about everything depends on the next owner.
Absolutely lets get a new owner in before we even really contemplate a new manager.

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #7253 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:25:02 »

Absolutely lets get a new owner in before we even really contemplate a new manager.

It would be nice but if Power is here next season still we don't want Sheridan still...not sure who we can attract under Power but anybody but Sheridan
Peter Venkman

« Reply #7254 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:30:34 »

It would be nice but if Power is here next season still we don't want Sheridan still...not sure who we can attract under Power but anybody but Sheridan
I think that if Power does not sell up before the end of the season then the club will be put into admin so he will no longer be owner anyway.

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #7255 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:35:43 »

I saw James Beattie on Soccer AM the other week, and although I never previously considered him as somebody that might be taken seriously as a manager, most of what he said made sense, he is going about things the right way (i.e. doing his time gaining coaching experience within the accademy  programme) and has a plan to go into management when the right opportunity comes up and is clear on the way that he wants to setup his team and play - and he is fairly local i think.

This is not me saying that James Beattie is the man I want, just more me saying that there are quite a few ex-players out there of the ilk of some of our previous first timers that have dropped out of the mainstream football world, are doing their time and are hungry to jump onto the management bus.  I reckon somebody like him would jump at the chance of a "Swindon Project" once ownership issues are resolved.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Panda Paws

« Reply #7256 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:53:18 »

I saw James Beattie on Soccer AM the other week, and although I never previously considered him as somebody that might be taken seriously as a manager, most of what he said made sense, he is going about things the right way (i.e. doing his time gaining coaching experience within the accademy  programme) and has a plan to go into management when the right opportunity comes up and is clear on the way that he wants to setup his team and play - and he is fairly local i think.

This is not me saying that James Beattie is the man I want, just more me saying that there are quite a few ex-players out there of the ilk of some of our previous first timers that have dropped out of the mainstream football world, are doing their time and are hungry to jump onto the management bus.  I reckon somebody like him would jump at the chance of a "Swindon Project" once ownership issues are resolved.

Interesting, and the sort of name I'd guess we'd be looking at if we go that route. It's not going to be the superstar ex pro like we used to.

Solid Championship pros who have been around the coaching scene for a few years would be ideal. Matt Taylor anyone? That sort of profile anyway.

I'd still go for McGreal, Heckingbottom - someone who has had a go, and needs a route back in.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7257 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 09:06:20 »

Lennon has 'resigned' from Celtic
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7258 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 09:08:30 »

Lennon has 'resigned' from Celtic

Some suggestions that Howe is an option for the Celtic job, Burnley was too far up north last time so not sure whether he will be able to handle Glasgow.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #7259 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 09:14:54 »

Perhaps Di Canio will return to management there

Nothing to see here
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 483 [484] 485 486 487 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: