Pages: 1 ... 426 427 428 [429] 430 431 432 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1967312 times)
tj2002

Ignore
« Reply #6420 on: Monday, August 10, 2020, 10:58:53 »

Well some of their more tolerant fans have given Holden 3 to 6 games before hes sacked.

This has made me chuckle glad its not Hughton, Gerrard, Pearson, Howe et al.

This is hilarious...

Dear Dean

Congratulations on being appointed as head coach.

You will already know what a superb football club and city you are part of. We thought we could perhaps further your learning by offering some thoughts from us, the fans. Therefore, what follows has been distilled from comments posted on our brilliant forum OTIB. Which no doubt you are aware of. In case not please do check it out: https://www.otib.co.uk

OTIB is home to 17,357 Bristol City fans, from all over the world. It provides many things, not least of all a barometer of fan’s opinions and views. We thought that by collecting together comments from posters we could provide you with a useful insight from the fans perspective.

We also want to invite you to help us to help you. Although what follows is fans communicating with you, please do communicate with us, throughout your tenure and be clear about the things that we the fans can do to fully support you and the team.

Welcome

So to start with a genuinely, warm Bristol welcome. One other thing to mention early on (just in case you haven’t come across it before) is we are Bristol City and although there is only One Team in Bristol lots of us do not take kindly to being called Bristol.

Success

It is an obvious thing to say but for the avoidance of doubt we really, really, really want the same thing as you - success, which means promotion. Some fans want even more citing ‘playing decent football’, ‘playing with a bit of passion’, ‘giving youth a chance’, ‘semi-consistent tactics and team selection’ ‘entertainment,’ ‘excitement’ and ‘some attacking football would be greatly appreciated’.

Many of us have experienced a lifetime of ups-and-downs as City supporters (it has been a roller- coaster at times) and on occasions being a City fan has been tough and certainly character building!  The media often refer to us as ‘a sleeping giant,’ which is another label some of us dislike, although in fairness it is a convenient sound bite.

Recent times

Although this is about the future, we want to tale a brief look back at the recent past next. Which, of course, you will have greater insights into than us. A fair few OTIB regulars have, for some time, aired their views about the limitations of our ex-head coach, which one contributor summed up by saying ‘please help us to wipe our memories of the last two years of dross.’

Others have recognised that Lee Johnson stabilised the club and worked tirelessly but that ultimately the time was right, for all concerned, for a change.

As you know your predecessor was keen to talk about our ‘identity’ and ‘DNA’, although, to be honest, very few of us could confidently describe any particular ‘identity’. Any attempt to describe our recent ‘identity’ would certainly not involve many positives. Under your leadership, we would be delighted to applaud and support a style of play that is attractive, discernible and effective.

The hierarchy

Our hierarchy, as you know first-hand, has worked very hard over recent years to embed a sustainable mentality throughout the club and we are indebted to them, most especially Steve Lansdown CBE, for the commitment, financial backing, loyalty, stewardship and dedication they bring. We believe that you are very fortunate to enjoy their backing.

Becoming a legend in the South West

Given you have just been appointed the next point seems horribly premature; nevertheless we feel it needs to be said. When you eventually part company with Bristol City Football Club can your legacy please include words such as - success, promotion, attractive, effective football rather than - sacked, left by mutual consent or other such euphemisms.

We love pride, passion and attacking intent here. If that can bring us the long overdue success of achieving top-flight football again, then you will become a legend and we hold our legends in very high esteem. You would never need to purchase a glass of fermented apple juice again in your lifetime!

OTIB

One poster suggested that you avoid reading OTIB, while others suggest that might be a schoolboy error, feeling you should subscribe, as there is much benefit to be had from the combined thoughts of the OTIB community.

Home form

You will not need us to point out that our home record is an important issue to be resolved. Many of us travel away too and have enjoyed some memorable away days over the last couple of years. However, Ashton Gate is not the fortress it needs to be. The synergy between what is happening on and off the pitch is critical. There are certainly things that might help which we as fans can do e.g. make more noise and provide positive encouragement. There are things the players can do e.g. play exciting, effective football and show some passion and there are things the club can do e.g. rethinking the area set aside for travelling fans, enlivening the atmosphere in various ways such as:

Extending the singing section.
More interaction with the fans on a match day would gee up the crowd and by taking a few moments to ‘rally the troops’ before kickoff, at half time and at the final whistle always goes down well and will maximize what can be fantastic support from the home faithful.  Indeed, you could do a lot worse than to very publically announce that you would like to ‘get the crowd bouncing around the ground.’ Which, in an instant, would enable the continuity of one of our most effective and unique chants.
Achieving the permanent inclusion of some seats allocated to home fans in the Atyeo stand.
The stats

The critical statistic is the number of points we have been behind the team that finished second in the table over recent seasons:

2019/20 = 20 points

2018/19 = 19 points

2017/18 = 23 points

2016/17 = 39 points

2015/16 = 37 points

The match-day experience

Understandably, your focus will be on winning football matches; there are also a few off-field matters we would like to bring to your attention, although they may already be apparent to you. Perhaps you could delegate somebody to sort out the appalling and legendary PA system at Ashton Gate, oh and please get ‘those lights’ turned off (you will know what we mean). While on the subject of basic match-day needs, a few of the internal concession outlets serving chips would most certainly go down well!

The rest

There were many other comments and suggestions, many of which were self-deprecating and testimony to the humour and banter within OTIB. Which is a rich blend of virtual terrace banter, informed, well considered debate, which is often incisive, forensic and spot-on, although sometimes banal and downright weird.

Finally

In summary, congratulations, good luck, we look forward to entertaining football, which leads to promotion and please help us to help you and the team by communicating regularly with us and ensuring we really are the 12th man every time our team play.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6421 on: Monday, August 10, 2020, 11:31:09 »

That neatly encapsulates, the desperate sense of entitlement that Bristol fans seem to have in buckets.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6422 on: Monday, August 10, 2020, 11:57:55 »

They're trying to get England youth coaches Keith Downing and Paul Simpson in as Holden's coaches.

Which, to me, would indicate that they're going to try and fill their side with old and new England youth players (with any successes resulting in big transfer fees).
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #6423 on: Monday, August 10, 2020, 13:14:43 »

They'll be signing Shaun Wright-Phillips then  Cheesy

Just as a side note, I hacked the OTIB site to deliver this embarrassing and Bambino length "call to arms". Still can't believe they have fallen for it. I had an hour spare; I know immaturity is usually vetoed but for scenarios such as this, it was perfectly acceptable.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6424 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:59:05 »

The backlash on the OTIB slavetraders forum is brilliant.

Some suggesting its time for Lansdown to move on!

Knee primed and set to maximum jerk sir!

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/208303-time-to-sell-up-and-move-on-mr-lansdown/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6425 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:04:04 »

Madness. Landsdown is the absolute dream owner, a genuine local guy with far more money than sense, who doesn't interfere with the team and invests in the local area as well as on the starting side, and nothing too shady morally speaking (by, you know, billionaire standards).

I don't really know what more these people want - I assume they're imagining Sheikh Mansour strolling in spraying cash everywhere to engage in a nice bit of soft power sportwashing, but you don't have to look around long in the Championship to realise that the far more likely option is that it all goes horribly wrong.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6426 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:06:36 »

Madness. Landsdown is the absolute dream owner, a genuine local guy with far more money than sense, who doesn't interfere with the team and invests in the local area as well as on the starting side, and nothing too shady morally speaking (by, you know, billionaire standards).

I don't really know what more these people want - I assume they're imagining Sheikh Mansour strolling in spraying cash everywhere to engage in a nice bit of soft power sportwashing, but you don't have to look around long in the Championship to realise that the far more likely option is that it all goes horribly wrong.

Not making excuses for them, but as an outsider its a fucking odd appointment for a club with apparent promotion to the PL ambitions?

Would guarantee if the same were happening here this forum would be full of cheap option/no ambition posts.
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #6427 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:29:06 »

The backlash on the OTIB slavetraders forum is brilliant.

Some suggesting its time for Lansdown to move on!

Knee primed and set to maximum jerk sir!

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/208303-time-to-sell-up-and-move-on-mr-lansdown/

Move on down the motorway to Swindon? ha ha
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6428 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:35:51 »

Seems quite clear that they don't want a manager who has 'total' control. They've been one decent managerial appointment away from the Premier League for a while now. It's all place.

I just think the more intense fans want Middle-Eastern/Russian money throwers now. Why else would they want SL out?
REDBUCK

« Reply #6429 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:38:51 »

Indeed, imagine if we'd had a billionaire owner in the 90's and Gorman had been given the job instead of a manager with Premier League experience.

As for what they want, well there's a long list

Premier league football
A new stand to up the capacity
A nearby railway platform reopened.
Club funded buses to run to and from all park and rides.
Safe standing.
Cheaper Tickets
Less money spent on the Rugby
Ground returned to football club ownership
Ownership that is spread more widely than one man at 90%
Bristol Rovers bought out and closed down.
Etc.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #6430 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 14:53:44 »

Imagine us getting promoted to the top division twice in the 1990s effectively in 3 years whilst shedding our best players....

The conspiracy theorists are alive and well in South Bristol with Lansdown's intentions being some massive property deal on the Ashton Vale land.

Nice to see some old favourites going around like 'I am not going until SL leaves our club' and romanticism about the post 1982 period. One fan even lamented the loss of the AGM and fan ownership. At least they acknowledge they dodged a bullet by Luke Williams moving on before the internal promotion.

From our own experience. Football success is all about recruitment. Get the right manager and players like Wellens did last year and you improve. Get it wrong like Fitton did in 2010/11 despite the money available and it goes tits up.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #6431 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 14:46:34 »

Southend appoint Weymouth manager Mark Molesely
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6432 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 14:48:58 »

Pushing the boat out, there. They’ll be following Notts County out of the league.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6433 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 15:21:45 »

He got Weymouth playing good football and won promotion to the National South recently.

Highly rated up and coming 39 year old non league manager, could do well for them.

Weymouth fans views.
Like the Great Majority of us I really want Mark to stay with us for at least another season or TEN !!
I have supported Weymouth for around 65 years and yes ok I did go off and do my own sport for a few years but I was always eager to find out how we had got on home or away.
Over the 65 years these last couple of years have been some of the best I can remember. FANTASTIC and BRILLIANT even.

Best manager I have seen for us, good luck to him, deserved a better club than Southend

I have no doubt mark will go onto have a very good career, but other than being in the league and having goodship, I am not sure this would be the right club for him

It’s a sad day yes, but he was always gonna move onto a higher league. Won’t say better club as Southend are rotten to the core. All we can do is trust the board and hope they continue with marks vision for the club and where he was taking us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #6434 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 17:14:13 »

Am I right in thinking Southend signed Brandon Goodship from Weymouth last summer? First their highly rated top scorer and now their manager!
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 428 [429] 430 431 432 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: