Pages: 1 ... 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1977529 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4635 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 18:40:59 »

Reg: what are your tips for the end of season jamboree? Autos, play offs or missing out?

I know a lot on here mock you but your predictions are realistic and I like reading your thoughts.

Around the turn of the year, I said I thought autos would be Luton, Mansfield and Lincoln.... Notts were going well at the time but thought they'd fall away to some extent.

Of course, it changes..... Notts have fallen away a bit, but should have enough in the locker for a PO spot.  Mansfield now have the imponderable of losing Evans and gaining Flitters, but I'd still fancy them for autos. Lincoln, surprisingly haven't quite kicked on, and autos may now be beyond them.  Exeter are looking favourites for the other auto.

Although Accy and Wycombe may fall away a bit, they still should have enough for a PO slot.  This leaves one place to be played for between us, Cov, Lincoln with Carlisle and Crawley coming up on the rails. 
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4636 on: Monday, March 5, 2018, 12:28:43 »

Backing off from our own navel-gazing for a moment, Monk has been brought in at Brum and accompanied as Asst by ex gaffer from down the road Clotet:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/03/steve-cotterill-birmingham-city-garry-monk
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4637 on: Monday, March 5, 2018, 13:54:45 »

Whoever we appoint is a gamble to some extent (obviously some more than others!), I look at it this way. Our goal is get out of this terrible division: to fail under Taylor would be forgivable, as long as he shows signs that he can do it next season; to fail under Phil Brown or one of the other retreads would just be a failure, compounded by the dullness of the appointment and the football. Whereas to succeed under Taylor would be glorious and feel like the start of an amazing journey; conversely going up under Brown would be good but we'd inevitably have a season of "consolidation" in L1, followed by a failure to kick on the season after before he got sacked midway through the following season. I've been bored to tears watching this team too often over the last 3 years or so, so I'm up for a bit of (potentially) glorious adventure.
I agree pretty much with all that.

Of all the names linked I would only like Rosler, Taylor is a very intelligent and well respected player who has had 12 seasons and 320 games in the Premier League withe well nearly 700 1st team games in total.

He was called up to the England squad under Capello 9 years ago.

Taylor has talked a good game about getting back to playing football without the shackles which is what most Swindon fans seem to want, win games and entertain the crowds again, galvanize the team and fans, it all sounds good to me.

For once I would be happy to promote internally rather than looking outside the club for a "jobbing" manager like Brown or McDermott etc, it saves a wage (always good for Power) he knows the players, he knows their own individual and team limitations, he seems to command respect....fuck it, give it to him full time and stop the pissing around Mr Power.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4638 on: Monday, March 5, 2018, 14:09:01 »

Whoever we appoint is a gamble to some extent (obviously some more than others!), I look at it this way. Our goal is get out of this terrible division: to fail under Taylor would be forgivable, as long as he shows signs that he can do it next season; to fail under Phil Brown or one of the other retreads would just be a failure, compounded by the dullness of the appointment and the football. Whereas to succeed under Taylor would be glorious and feel like the start of an amazing journey; conversely going up under Brown would be good but we'd inevitably have a season of "consolidation" in L1, followed by a failure to kick on the season after before he got sacked midway through the following season. I've been bored to tears watching this team too often over the last 3 years or so, so I'm up for a bit of (potentially) glorious adventure.

Would someone not think of the children sun bed vendors of Swindon....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4639 on: Monday, March 5, 2018, 14:29:08 »

I agree pretty much with all that.

Of all the names linked I would only like Rosler, Taylor is a very intelligent and well respected player who has had 12 seasons and 320 games in the Premier League withe well nearly 700 1st team games in total.

He was called up to the England squad under Capello 9 years ago.

Taylor has talked a good game about getting back to playing football without the shackles which is what most Swindon fans seem to want, win games and entertain the crowds again, galvanize the team and fans, it all sounds good to me.

For once I would be happy to promote internally rather than looking outside the club for a "jobbing" manager like Brown or McDermott etc, it saves a wage (always good for Power) he knows the players, he knows their own individual and team limitations, he seems to command respect....fuck it, give it to him full time and stop the pissing around Mr Power.

I think too much is being made of Taylor's shackles comment.  I see no players in our side who look like they're frustrated football genii, being held back by tactics.

What I do see is players, who are largely following Ferguson's first law of management.  Don't ask players to do things of which they aren't capable.

There's no doubt Matty is a good pro, but so was Maurice Malpas... in fact so good he's in the Sweatie Hall of Fame, along with Dave Mackay, but no place for Lou Macari or Paul Sturrock.

If you could have a sort of scenario, like Rovers had when Paul Trollope took over with Lenny Lawrence for experience, then yes get Taylor involved.  I had hoped that MT might have worked with Brown at Bolton, so that could have been a match, but alas no.  In fact Brown started off working for Todd  Hmmm

Although Flitters has halted our slide, his departure does call into question if it is just temporary.... I think handing it over to rookie, unless really no other option is too dangerous.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4640 on: Monday, March 5, 2018, 14:36:55 »

I just think that failing to get promotion under Taylor would be more accepted than if an experienced head came in and still failed to get us up.

Again, I return to the Flitcroft argument. If he got us up, what then? Nobody would really want another season with him in charge especially as he seemingly isn’t up to it.

Give Taylor a chance and look again in the close season if need be.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #4641 on: Monday, March 5, 2018, 14:40:01 »

I just think that failing to get promotion under Taylor would be more accepted than if an experienced head came in and still failed to get us up.

Again, I return to the Flitcroft argument. If he got us up, what then? Nobody would really want another season with him in charge especially as he seemingly isn’t up to it.

I think this is fair... I didn't mind Flitcroft, I thought he was doing an OK job (mostly) but I was concerned about what happened if we went up. The fans like Taylor so he'll probably get away with not getting us up - but I think Swindon fans have shown patience is thin.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #4642 on: Monday, March 5, 2018, 14:43:57 »

I think too much is being made of Taylor's shackles comment.  I see no players in our side who look like they're frustrated football genii, being held back by tactics.

What I do see is players, who are largely following Ferguson's first law of management.  Don't ask players to do things of which they aren't capable.

There's no doubt Matty is a good pro, but so was Maurice Malpas... in fact so good he's in the Sweatie Hall of Fame, along with Dave Mackay, but no place for Lou Macari or Paul Sturrock.

If you could have a sort of scenario, like Rovers had when Paul Trollope took over with Lenny Lawrence for experience, then yes get Taylor involved.  I had hoped that MT might have worked with Brown at Bolton, so that could have been a match, but alas no.  In fact Brown started off working for Todd  Hmmm

Although Flitters has halted our slide, his departure does call into question if it is just temporary.... I think handing it over to rookie, unless really no other option is too dangerous.
Yes of course it could easily go either way when it comes to a brand new inexperienced manager, some great pros have been awful managers and visa versa but we won't know until he has been given the chance, what better time is there to blood a new young manager? we are safe from relegation, a lot of fans have written off the play offs and promotion already. Throw him in at the deep end and see if he floats or sinks, best case scenario is that he can get the players playing better and we go up, worst case scenario is we finish mid table and then get rid of him in the Summer for an experienced manager.

As for the players being held back, I think some players do want to play more football but were too scared of Futcher and Flitcroft, Woolery for one, Knoyle also who is often told to launch it into the box even when his natural instinct is to run at defenders and take them on, which he does better than Gordon.

I refer you back to one of the matchday threads a few weeks ago, I cannot remember which but I am sure whoever posted it will let me know.....

They were sat with one of the players parents (who remain nameless obviously) but they told the poster that the players feel they want to express themselves more and pass the ball rather than just lumping it into thestands, down the channels or up to Norris all the time.

My apologies to the original poster but I forget even which game it was but it was an away game in the last 2 months or so.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4643 on: Monday, March 5, 2018, 14:44:13 »

My concern is the summer, in football terms not far away... now a proper gaffer will have already got plans, been working on contracts etc for 18/19.  We have to avoid a scenario like last summer where we're forced to do it on a wing and prayer...what was it Flitters said, something like he'll be talking to something like 5 players for every slot... to get one.

He did a good job, the previous summer was a disaster. We can't afford a repeat.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4644 on: Monday, March 5, 2018, 15:02:58 »

Yes of course it could easily go either way when it comes to a brand new inexperienced manager, some great pros have been awful managers and visa versa but we won't know until he has been given the chance, what better time is there to blood a new young manager? we are safe from relegation, a lot of fans have written off the play offs and promotion already. Throw him in at the deep end and see if he floats or sinks, best case scenario is that he can get the players playing better and we go up, worst case scenario is we finish mid table and then get rid of him in the Summer for an experienced manager.

As for the players being held back, I think some players do want to play more football but were too scared of Futcher and Flitcroft, Woolery for one, Knoyle also who is often told to launch it into the box even when his natural instinct is to run at defenders and take them on, which he does better than Gordon.

I refer you back to one of the matchday threads a few weeks ago, I cannot remember which but I am sure whoever posted it will let me know.....

They were sat with one of the players parents (who remain nameless obviously) but they told the poster that the players feel they want to express themselves more and pass the ball rather than just lumping it into thestands, down the channels or up to Norris all the time.

My apologies to the original poster but I forget even which game it was but it was an away game in the last 2 months or so.

Nah.... I don't buy the argument because someone's parent said something.  Further some of the possession based purists don't encourage running at defenders as you tend to lose possession more often than not, and get out of shape.... for them it's pass/pass/pass.

It's about being pragmatic... set yourself up in a decent shape... get the players to work hard for each other, to amaintain that shape, try and win your physical battles, then if you have some individual talent it can come out.   Sadly for a lot of players, that talent might come out every so often... but the reason they're a lower league player is it's not often enough
« Last Edit: Monday, March 5, 2018, 15:04:42 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #4645 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 12:46:47 »

My concern is the summer, in football terms not far away... now a proper gaffer will have already got plans, been working on contracts etc for 18/19.  We have to avoid a scenario like last summer where we're forced to do it on a wing and prayer...what was it Flitters said, something like he'll be talking to something like 5 players for every slot... to get one.

He did a good job, the previous summer was a disaster. We can't afford a repeat.

That's what bothers me with a Taylor appointment, will Power take back recruitment deeming Taylor too inexperienced and wanting him to focus on the playing side, whereas a experienced manager ala Flitcroft wanted to be in charge of everything.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4646 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 13:05:37 »

That's what bothers me with a Taylor appointment, will Power take back recruitment deeming Taylor too inexperienced and wanting him to focus on the playing side, whereas a experienced manager ala Flitcroft wanted to be in charge of everything.

It's basic stuff really like Flitters probably had watched Gordon and Elsnik play for Ram's kids team, when he was doing his Leicester stint, noted they looked decent so could sign them.

Taylor at this time just isn't going to have that sort of contact book.  By all means give it to him and explain it's a medium term project, and that it might be a while before we see the benefits.

It took Lou Macari a season, to sort it out....
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4647 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 15:09:19 »

Patrick Kluivert to Oxford?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #4648 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 15:12:15 »

Patrick Kluivert to Oxford?
Tans mentioned that yesterday, sounds a wierd one but interesting.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4649 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 15:16:11 »

If Oxford hang on for a week, then Matty Taylor might be available....
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: