Pages: 1 ... 290 291 292 [293] 294 295 296 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1967319 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4380 on: Thursday, January 25, 2018, 16:41:13 »

I struggle with the fact this has been jumped upon in the media as an example of sexism in sport. The argument against Neville presupposes that only someone who had managed a female side can manage another female side.

I can manage a female side, front.... and then turn them over and manage another female side, back. Is that sexist enough to get me the England job?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4381 on: Thursday, January 25, 2018, 16:53:14 »

Indeed, the only question should be - who applied and did the best option get the job.  Outside of that, there probably does need to be a focus on how to help SUPPORT more women become the best or equal candidate (assuming nobody applied and got snubbed just because they were female).

To be fair, in the men's game, it has been a while since Gabriella Benson cut her teeth in the Management game without anyone following.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4382 on: Thursday, January 25, 2018, 17:42:03 »

Not does he have any knowledge of women's football which he will of course need in order to be able to perform the role.

Its much the same except the goalkeepers don't seem to be able to catch...  Wink

Seriously though that was something that was noticeable 5-6 years ago, however now as most keepers seem to punch most things anyway its barely different!

Actually it will be interesting to see what he brings to the women's game that is presently lacking in that side of the sport but prevails in mens football, possibly rolling around faking injury and telling the referee to fuck off??  Hmmm
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4383 on: Thursday, January 25, 2018, 18:08:28 »

The Mens game also has sport bra's now, time to merge.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 26, 2018, 14:26:55 by RobertT » Logged
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #4384 on: Friday, January 26, 2018, 10:04:26 »

FWIW, I have had some contact with (female) staff at the English FA responsible for women's football , and the line there was that we had to move away from the comparison between men's and women's football, as though the women's game is just a pale spin-off from the men.  Their view was that for the women's game to flourish, it had to be seen in its own light, a different game.  So - to my mind - that has been ignored by the decision to appoint Phil Neville, unless he demonstrated to whoever was appointing, that he had the particular skills for managing the women's team.  I suppose, though, if the role is management rather than coaching, that qualification may be less important.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4385 on: Friday, January 26, 2018, 14:30:45 »

FWIW, I have had some contact with (female) staff at the English FA responsible for women's football , and the line there was that we had to move away from the comparison between men's and women's football, as though the women's game is just a pale spin-off from the men.  Their view was that for the women's game to flourish, it had to be seen in its own light, a different game.  So - to my mind - that has been ignored by the decision to appoint Phil Neville, unless he demonstrated to whoever was appointing, that he had the particular skills for managing the women's team.  I suppose, though, if the role is management rather than coaching, that qualification may be less important.

Surely they only have to look at the US Women's game model to see how they can be successful in this? Women's soccer (football) is much more popular than men's soccer. At grass roots it's many girls sport of choice over there. While the men's game there still pays higher wages (which is awful considering they both have to play a minimum of 20 exhibition matches as well as their league games) the women's game does command a salary of around $100k (top level). This is still way of the men's pay though, with certain former prem stars commanding $m. Of course the franchises are willing to pay this, it's seen as an advert and turns heads but my belief is that while productive in the short term, it is more damaging in the long term. The men's game does need to produce more future stars of tomorrow and this will be evident if either their league improves it's standard or we see an influx of american talent across Europe and succeeding.

The men's game has increased it's revenue in recent years whilst enticing former top players to end their careers in the MLS (almost like setting up a pension pot for a two year contract), the same move from a top player in the U.K women's game would be seen as taking the next step up and a challenge. Quite a contrast.

The way I see it, and it's not a direct mirror but the U.K Women's game, is kind of where the U.S Men's game is at. in terms of popularity and the level of the game itself. There are stars per se but they don't always get the exposure. When they do, it's incredibly temporary and have to rely on taking that chance, like in a Major International Tournament or the Women's FA Cup. You could say similar in a way as to how a lower league player in the men's game, may get one chance of exposure in a televised tie against top flight opposition. As a rule though, there is still way more opportunity in the men's game, than in the women's game.

Steps are being made, and I don't necessarily think that Neville is a bad appointment. I don't think he has better credentials than Sampson. Can PN pioneer an innovative approach to raising the profile of the women's game via international exposure? I'm not sure. Is it his job to just that or are the FA only interested in the International success? (the England Women's team have done particularly well, so there is only the issue of sustainability at that level, in my opinion) I guess if he's demonstrated to the FA that he wants to raise the profile of the women's game then only time will tell. As stated above, if the FA follow the U.S Women's approach then they can't go too far wrong.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 26, 2018, 19:55:34 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #4386 on: Friday, January 26, 2018, 19:51:25 »

Good post aside from saying Neville has more credentials than Sampson.

Sampson knew the women’s game inside out
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4387 on: Friday, January 26, 2018, 19:54:52 »

Good post aside from saying Neville has more credentials than Sampson.

Sampson knew the women’s game inside out

Bollocks, meant to put 'don't think'. I need a proofreader! Now changed!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4388 on: Friday, February 2, 2018, 19:49:09 »

David Unsworth offered the oxford job
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4389 on: Friday, February 2, 2018, 20:15:52 »

Hope he takes it. He’ll be a fucking disaster.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #4390 on: Sunday, February 4, 2018, 21:50:21 »

Leeds sack another manager

I come from a land down-under
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4391 on: Sunday, February 4, 2018, 22:08:28 »

7 managers in 3.5 years.... Brutal
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4392 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 10:03:00 »

Stuart McCall gone from Bradford
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4393 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 10:24:32 »

Stuart McCall gone from Bradford

They're 6th. Great expectations in Bradford....Yeah they've lost 6 in a row but...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4394 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 10:27:01 »

They're 6th. Great expectations in Bradford....Yeah they've lost 6 in a row but...

Yes. Leeds/Bradford  A Tale of Two Cities.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 292 [293] 294 295 296 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: