Pages: 1 ... 414 415 416 [417] 418 419 420 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1980345 times)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #6240 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 12:57:40 »

A very good appointment if that's the case. That's a shame Smiley
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6241 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 13:16:06 »

Sounds like Chris Hughton is off to Bristol City. Wonder if he'll take Paul Trollope and Colin Calderwood with him (the former most likely)?

Good appointment with a decent track record, can see him finally dragging them up. Its being reported that Gerard turned them down.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #6242 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 13:49:02 »

Good appointment with a decent track record, can see him finally dragging them up. Its being reported that Gerard turned them down.
Thats because Gerrard has a job, Hughton doesn't.

Not entirely sure why everyone seems to think hes an amazing signing as manager though.

His track record although ok is not great.

Spurs interim 7 games 3 wins - win ratio of 42%
Newcastle interim 10 games 1 win - win ratio 10%
Newcastle 70 games 39 wins - win ratio of 55%
Birmingham 62 games 26 wins - win ratio of 41%
Norwich 82 games 24 wins - win ratio of 29%
Brighton 215 games 88 wins - win ratio of 40%

An overall win ratio of 40.5% and a loss ratio of 32% the style of football is also ok but its hardly league storming.

He tends to prefer a defensive biased 451 style with wingers that break but doesn't enjoy a possession based passing style preferring to hit teams on the counter down the wings or from set peices.

In L1 he would be an amazing signing, at the top end of the Championship...my jury is still out, the Slavetraders will want instant results too, or he will win the frist 3 games and be crowned as the best manager in the world and then they will turn on him as they did Johnson and he will be sacked by Christmas.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #6243 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 14:24:09 »

Not entirely sure why everyone seems to think hes an amazing signing as manager though.

An overall win ratio of 40.5% and a loss ratio of 32% the style of football is also ok but its hardly league storming.

He tends to prefer a defensive biased 451 style with wingers that break but doesn't enjoy a possession based passing style preferring to hit teams on the counter down the wings or from set peices.

In L1 he would be an amazing signing, at the top end of the Championship...my jury is still out, the Slavetraders will want instant results too, or he will win the frist 3 games and be crowned as the best manager in the world and then they will turn on him as they did Johnson and he will be sacked by Christmas.

I think he’d be a sound appointment for shitty in the championship

- He won the league with Newcastle (granted anyone could have done that with their players and budget)
- Got Birmingham into the playoffs
- First season at Norwich in PL they finished mid table and could have kept them up if he wasn’t sacked with a couple games left and out of the relegation places.
- got Brighton to the PL and kept them in the division the following 2 years before getting the boot.

Win ratio is probably lower due to the teams he managed in the PL. Be interesting to see what it is just for the championship.
Panda Paws

« Reply #6244 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 14:25:16 »

Horrible football but may just about do the job. Still would have gone Jokanovic personally.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6245 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 15:00:46 »

He’s won promotion from the championship three times with three different clubs

Things get better but they never get good
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6246 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 15:06:34 »

Win ratios, like most football stats, mean fuck all without context, e.g. did the team have a competitive budget for the League they were in? What was the state of the squad when the manager took over and did he have the chance to change that if needed? Or put another way, if you compare Mourinho's win ratio at Man Utd to Dyche's at Burnley does that tell the whole tale?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6247 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 15:32:08 »

He’s won promotion from the championship three times with three different clubs

The only issue is as a gaffer can you keep going to well to get clubs up to Prem and then not really doing it when there.  I suppose a big fat bonus might help....,sort of thing Pearson will get if Watford hang on.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #6248 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 21:00:57 »

Superb appointment for City if that comes off.

I dislike City as much as anyone but Venkman, that really is some straw clutching!
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #6249 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 21:14:09 »

City season ticket holder I work with didn't think Hughton would fit their model which is to sell on their best players for PL money and build again.

Be interesting if Calderwood and Trollope went with him. Ex Swindon player and Rovers manager might take some winning over.

If Hughton took them up I would think their fans would be in dreamland with a struggle down the bottom of the league. Mind you some of them would expect to be in the Champions League spots.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6250 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 22:06:08 »

Be interesting to see that split between Championship & Premiership.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6251 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 08:11:04 »

Superb appointment for City if that comes off.

I dislike City as much as anyone but Venkman, that really is some straw clutching!
Possibly but I just am not much of a fan of Hughton, I think hes massively over rated, does fairly welll at Championship level and far less so in the premier, yes hes with the more unfashionable clubs, Slavetraders fans are not very forgiving when results don't go their way, best manager in the world one week, worst next week.

Then again he hasn't even agreed to take over there yet so it may be jumping the gun.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6252 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 08:27:56 »

Possibly but I just am not much of a fan of Hughton, I think hes massively over rated, does fairly welll at Championship level and far less so in the premier, yes hes with the more unfashionable clubs, Slavetraders fans are not very forgiving when results don't go their way, best manager in the world one week, worst next week.

Then again he hasn't even agreed to take over there yet so it may be jumping the gun.

He done a cracking job at Brighton saving them from relegation to league one then getting them in the Premiership. I agree he's not really done anything in the top flight but if he can get them there within a couple of seasons it will be mission accomplished

So, give no fucks
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #6253 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 08:30:54 »

He's got an excellent record at Championship level.

Taking over Brighton in December 2014, keeping them up, then getting them up 2 seasons later, and keeping them up in two successive seasons is pretty impressive in my opinion.

Two promotions to the Premier League and no relegations on his CV. He may not play the most attractive football but he is very effective.

If Bristol City appoint him then I reckon they'll be in the Premier League within 2 seasons.

* Chughton.jpg (160.09 KB, 1266x270 - viewed 69 times.)
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6254 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 08:37:17 »

He done a cracking job at Brighton saving them from relegation to league one then getting them in the Premiership. I agree he's not really done anything in the top flight but if he can get them there within a couple of seasons it will be mission accomplished
Promotion to the Premier league would give him hero status there thats for sure, although we did it 27 years ago first Wink

At least he will have some backing there from Lansdowne who will probably near break the bank to get them there, got a lot of deadwood to get rid of first, underperforming players on large wages brought in by Johnson to play a very different style of football from Hughton. He will need a complete overhaul and it will be very difficult offloading high earners who have not performed.

Massive loss for Lansdowne to soak up.

Difficult gig and difficult fans to appease for any new manager. Fans with far higher expectation than previous success should indicate.

Pages: 1 ... 414 415 416 [417] 418 419 420 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: