Pages: 1 ... 363 364 365 [366] 367 368 369 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1967280 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5475 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:13:25 »

Mike Williamson appointed at Gateshead! They have gone from nearly out of business to getting a team together very quickly!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5476 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 09:31:44 »

In more north east news looks like Woodgate is getting the Boro job....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48603562
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #5477 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 09:48:33 »

Oldham have gone for some Gallic flair (they hope) in the former of former Monaco boss Laurent Banide.

A journeyman managerial career in the Middle East by the look of it.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5478 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 10:02:32 »

In more north east news looks like Woodgate is getting the Boro job....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48603562

I can do no better than repeat what I said around the time this was first mooted in the wake of Pulis getting the heave-ho

With Woodgate apparently one of the candidates to replace him. Bearing in mind this was the guy known as "Village" as a player at Leeds because he was notoriously thick. WTF?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5479 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 10:05:02 »

I had heard Woodgate was both a sicknote and not the sharpest firework in the forest.

There can't be that many ex players in management that are not classed as "thinkers", and the ones that aren't that intelligent often fail quite quickly.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5480 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 10:13:31 »

I had heard Woodgate was both a sicknote and not the sharpest firework in the forest.

There can't be that many ex players in management that are not classed as "thinkers", and the ones that aren't that intelligent often fail quite quickly.
Quite. I could see how you could (just about) do a limited job as a basic skills coach without a bit of nous (and even then it would likely be a case of jobs for the boys), but not as a full-fledged coach, much less a manager.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5481 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 10:14:19 »

I can do no better than repeat what I said around the time this was first mooted in the wake of Pulis getting the heave-ho

And whilst I am not going to go all Reg and only selectively quote the bits that support my 'told you so' narrative, I still stand by the second part of my response....

I don't think the links to the job are particularly strong.

I am not sure that IQ is a normal test of competence for the average football manager, although the idea of him managing another genius in Flint suggests a degree of comedic value and possibly a sit com?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5482 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 10:16:08 »

And whilst I am not going to go all Reg and only selectively quote the bits that support my 'told you so' narrative, I still stand by the second part of my response....

And you're entitled to do so. Still think it's bizarre, I don't think you need to be some kind of Arsene Wenger/Bielsa style football intellectual, but I just don't see how you can do the job if you're actually thick
Peter Venkman

« Reply #5483 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 10:18:14 »

Quite. I could see how you could (just about) do a limited job as a basic skills coach without a bit of nous (and even then it would likely be a case of jobs for the boys), but not as a full-fledged coach, much less a manager.
Exactly.

It may work if he gets a decent coaching team around him.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5484 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 10:19:53 »

And you're entitled to do so. Still think it's bizarre, I don't think you need to be some kind of Arsene Wenger/Bielsa style football intellectual, but I just don't see how you can do the job if you're actually thick

I dunno, his buddy Bowyer seems to be doing very well at Charlton and I don't think he has troubled Mensa a great deal? I also wouldn't be putting Steve Evens or Harry Redknapp down in the genius category?

Depends what you are bright at, one only has to listen to many of our great managers when they are doing punditry?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5485 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 10:56:23 »

I dunno, his buddy Bowyer seems to be doing very well at Charlton and I don't think he has troubled Mensa a great deal? I also wouldn't be putting Steve Evens or Harry Redknapp down in the genius category?
I think you're confusing intelligence with intellectualism. They're very different. Beckham also isn't likely to trouble Mensa, but he's a very intelligent footballer and has a good degree of practical intelligence. Same could be said to a lesser extent of Bowyer, he was hot-headed as a player and made poor decisions in the heat of the moment on and off the pitch, but he didn't have a reputation as being actually stupid. We'll find out in time, I guess, and tbf I've never met Woodgate, it may be that his reputation and nickname were undeserved.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5486 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 11:06:51 »

I think you're confusing intelligence with intellectualism. They're very different. Beckham also isn't likely to trouble Mensa, but he's a very intelligent footballer and has a good degree of practical intelligence. Same could be said to a lesser extent of Bowyer, he was hot-headed as a player and made poor decisions in the heat of the moment on and off the pitch, but he didn't have a reputation as being actually stupid. We'll find out in time, I guess, and tbf I've never met Woodgate, it may be that his reputation and nickname were undeserved.

As long as he can provide answers to the key questions to create a Championship promotion team (an experienced RB and GK or not if it doesn't suit the argument) I am sure he can go far. I have heard that he is a scholar of Boro teams from the 1920's so he is well on his way.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5487 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 11:08:25 »

As long as he can provide answers to the key questions to create a Championship promotion team (an experienced RB and GK or not if it doesn't suit the argument) I am sure he can go far. I have heard that he is a scholar of Boro teams from the 1920's so he is well on his way.
Cheesy
Peter Venkman

« Reply #5488 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 11:12:57 »

TBF Charlie Henry convered well from being a right back into an attacking midfielder/striker so he may be on to something.....

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5489 on: Thursday, June 13, 2019, 13:20:21 »

Slavan Bilic completing the set of league teams starting with "West" by taking charge at the Baggies. Once it all goes wrong there, he'll have a choice of West Allotment Celtic and West Auckland in the Northern League, West Bridgford in the Eastern Midlands Counties League or West Didsbury & Chorlton in the NW Counties League.
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 365 [366] 367 368 369 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: