Pages: 1 ... 305 306 307 [308] 309 310 311 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1981342 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #4605 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 13:35:30 »

I've been bored to tears watching this team too often over the last 3 years or so, so I'm up for a bit of (potentially) glorious adventure.

Yep. We need the fun back. Recent attendances have been woeful and I'm sure people will return if the standard of entertainment improves.
Flashheart

« Reply #4606 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 13:55:09 »

I agree with everything you said in terms of reasoning, but still think out view should be short term -  get out the league.

You know what? I almost find myself willing to sacrifice promotion for some entertainment. Not quite, but I'm almost there. I've come full circle. I started this season willing to sacrifice style for promotion, now I'm close to being willing to sacrifice promotion for style.

8 months of Flitcroft has microwaved my enthusiasm. I find myself not wanting to watch/listen when the club I love is playing, and I fucking hate that.

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #4607 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 14:07:28 »

Given who power has appointed so far does anyone trust him to appoint anyone who will get the juices flowing after Williams and flitcroft.
Flashheart

« Reply #4608 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 14:11:32 »

We played some very good football under Cooper at times, and Flitcroft was a case of just getting the job done. Ling also had us playing some decent football. I see no reason why the next appointment can't have us playing good football.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #4609 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 14:39:56 »

Loses in the cup first round
Arguing with players.
Playing players out of position.
Signs of disloyalty.

Sounds a straight swap for Flitcroft then

We've had a few managers that have ticked all those boxes over the years.

Brown might be viewed as an upgrade on Flitcroft albeit a fairly uninspiring one.

I'd like to see Taylor given a proper go at the job.
Seems to be a freshness about him, so will wish him luck and hope he does very well.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4610 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 14:46:43 »

I still can’t really grasp how, after Evans’ sudden departure, Mansfield identified Flitcroft as his successor so quickly. We know he wasn’t Power’s first, or even 4th choice, so has Radford based it solely on the fact we’ve beaten them twice this season?

Can’t see much due diligence on Mansfield’s part.

Momentum is growing for Taylor full time, I reckon. Lay the Cheltnum bogey on Saturday and it’s his - or should be.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4611 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 14:48:11 »

I still can’t really grasp how, after Evans’ sudden departure, Mansfield identified Flitcroft as his successor so quickly. We know he wasn’t Power’s first, or even 4th choice, so has Radford based it solely on the fact we’ve beaten them twice this season?

Or like any well-prepared business they had a list of contingency options ready to go?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4612 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 14:49:13 »

Or like any well-prepared business they had a list of contingency options ready to go?
Like Oxford, you mean?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4613 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 15:18:19 »

Haha. Christ.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4614 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 15:20:09 »

Momentum is growing for Taylor full time, I reckon. Lay the Cheltnum bogey on Saturday and it’s his - or should be.

There is a football grapevine....  Evans who's a mate of Power, says to Radford "adios  Bye  btw I hear that all isn't well at Swindon, regards Flitcroft"

To make Taylor out to be some sort of Messiah, is ludicrous and does nothing to help him.  We've seen before with Adi Williams when Wise quit, and Darren Ward when PdC quit, results immediately suffer because of the emotional response of the players. Having a little gap, may help a bit to clear minds, but we'll still have to face Cheltnum, with an injury and suspension depleted side.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4615 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 15:45:11 »

I don’t think Ady Williams had such support post-Wise and emotions were all over the place post-Di Canio.

Taylor has been a popular addition during a mediocre season so I think it’s only right that fans support his tenure, no matter how brief, enthusiastically.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #4616 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 15:59:24 »

Trouble is Power went for a first timer with Luke, and got his fingers very badly burned by his misjudgement. 

Have to say this is a very difficult call.... we can't really write this season off yet, but it feels like it has gone. So get in a Brown with a remit to see us over the line and he'll likely fail, we just don't have the players available, and there's nothing can be done about that.  However, he would be in place to see who's available next season in our squad and sort a proper pre-season etc

Taylor would be less damaged by failure.  But player recruitment at this level is key, and he's zero experience.  He'd probably have, like Luke, to lean on Power, and we saw last year where that leads.

Certainly, the decision to get in Flitters in the summer and let him sort recruitment was correct... so on balance probably getting Brown to do the same would be sensible.

Yes, Williams was a disaster, but that was just a case of appointing the wrong individual (and then trying to micromanage him). Over time we've had more than our share of success out of first timers, and more than our share of disasters with experienced heads.

I wouldn't be too bothered if he brought an old timer out of the Brown / Allen category in on a short-term deal to try and get us promoted. To imply that a team in the playoff places in March, with 5 straight home wins and the best away record in the league, is incapable of finishing in the top 7 is ridiculous. Yes, I know we have issues and it's far from a certainty, but this is not the time to chuck in the towel, shrug the shoulders and disregard the work of the previous 35 games. That is a ridiculous attitude, and is exactly the sort of mentality that has got us down here in the first place.

Besides all that, we can't really do much forward planning in the meantime - the closest we could really get is to lob the likes of Iandolo back into the team, which we might do in the absence of Banks anyway.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4617 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 16:03:12 »

I don’t think Ady Williams had such support post-Wise and emotions were all over the place post-Di Canio.

Taylor has been a popular addition during a mediocre season so I think it’s only right that fans support his tenure, no matter how brief, enthusiastically.

These would be the same fans that reckoned his legs had gone, and that he was an Oxford fan  Hmmm
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4618 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 16:17:51 »

Yes, Williams was a disaster, but that was just a case of appointing the wrong individual (and then trying to micromanage him). Over time we've had more than our share of success out of first timers, and more than our share of disasters with experienced heads.

I wouldn't be too bothered if he brought an old timer out of the Brown / Allen category in on a short-term deal to try and get us promoted. To imply that a team in the playoff places in March, with 5 straight home wins and the best away record in the league, is incapable of finishing in the top 7 is ridiculous. Yes, I know we have issues and it's far from a certainty, but this is not the time to chuck in the towel, shrug the shoulders and disregard the work of the previous 35 games. That is a ridiculous attitude, and is exactly the sort of mentality that has got us down here in the first place.

Besides all that, we can't really do much forward planning in the meantime - the closest we could really get is to lob the likes of Iandolo back into the team, which we might do in the absence of Banks anyway.

However much I might wish it was otherwise, how I see things has no impact on the players whatsoever.

Unless Taylor returns himself to midfield, then Ellis is the only central midfield option available alongside Dunne.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4619 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 16:20:39 »

These would be the same fans that reckoned his legs had gone, and that he was an Oxford fan  Hmmm

Yes, some fans did react with that rhetoric but then luckily Taylor won most of them over in time with a solid contribution.

There will never, ever be an appointment that will unify the entire fanbase.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 307 [308] 309 310 311 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: