Pages: 1 ... 304 305 306 [307] 308 309 310 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1985502 times)
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #4590 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 09:51:36 »

I’d rather stick permanently with Taylor - even if we don’t get promoted this season. Tired of the ‘treadmill’ managers doing the rounds.

Who’s going to get excited by Phil Brown et al pitching up?

Totally agree. It wouldn't excite us, and it wouldn't excite Brown, in the same way that it didn't excite Flitcroft, despite all the bullshit, and the words that we needed to type into Google. We need to give a first-timer, who has something to prove, a bit of a break.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4591 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 10:06:40 »

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindon_town_2014/16063748.Former_Premier_League_boss_Phil_Brown_displays_interest_in_vacant_Town_job__Advertiser_understands/
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #4592 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 10:15:53 »

I lean towards hoping Taylor does the business during his interim tenure.

Phil Brown doesn’t offend me but he’d be no different than Sturrock or Wilson. He might have a great start but that’ll be followed by a 10th and then maybe relegation. Same old cycle.

Just imagine if you got judged at work on your future performance based on your age and fact you’d had a few jobs before, instead of what you’re strengths and weaknesses were. There is little else that Sturrock, Wilson and Brown have in common other than having been previously employed and male.

Otherwise, I agree to the extent that Rosler is the best of the experienced bunch. Luke Garrard will get a job somewhere soon and I’d be happy with that (based on his record, not his playing days for us) - but the ideal for me would be Taylor having a great start, taking us up and keeping the job. Experienced assistants aren’t an essential factor (depends on who they’re overseeing) - the Cowleys do ok.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 10:28:30 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #4593 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 10:54:23 »

https://twitter.com/ScottWallace_/status/953674460866990080

Give this a peruse. Not at all keen.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4594 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 10:54:42 »

If promotion is a must then mad dog Allen would get us over the line I think.

Hahah! Mad Dog and John Sitton as co-managers...that has to be the way forward...."you better bring your dinner!!"... Wink
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4595 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 11:00:46 »

Thank you - that comprehensively answers my question.....NEXT!!!

I've seen quite a few negative comments about Brown on here and elsewhere but wouldn't he be quite good? He got Southend out of L2 and they had a couple of reasonable seasons in L1 before having a bit if a dodgy run this season as a result of which, he got the boot.

Not too bad really, maybe I've missed something though - Outside of STFC I don't follow football these days anything like as closely as what I used to.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4596 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 11:11:18 »

Loses in the cup first round
Arguing with players.
Playing players out of position.
Signs of disloyalty.

Sounds a straight swap for Flitcroft then
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4597 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 11:23:10 »

Totally agree. It wouldn't excite us, and it wouldn't excite Brown, in the same way that it didn't excite Flitcroft, despite all the bullshit, and the words that we needed to type into Google. We need to give a first-timer, who has something to prove, a bit of a break.

Trouble is Power went for a first timer with Luke, and got his fingers very badly burned by his misjudgement. 

Have to say this is a very difficult call.... we can't really write this season off yet, but it feels like it has gone. So get in a Brown with a remit to see us over the line and he'll likely fail, we just don't have the players available, and there's nothing can be done about that.  However, he would be in place to see who's available next season in our squad and sort a proper pre-season etc

Taylor would be less damaged by failure.  But player recruitment at this level is key, and he's zero experience.  He'd probably have, like Luke, to lean on Power, and we saw last year where that leads.

Certainly, the decision to get in Flitters in the summer and let him sort recruitment was correct... so on balance probably getting Brown to do the same would be sensible.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4598 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 12:03:00 »

Just imagine if you got judged at work on your future performance based on your age and fact you’d had a few jobs before. There is little else that Sturrock, Wilson and Brown have in common other than having been previously employed and male.

Without going through the complexities of employment law, I’ve seen many cases of experienced people missing out on jobs to inexperience with more enthusiasm/dynamism. Interviews are interviews.

Anyway, it’s my opinion that I find the routine appointment of managers who have 'been the there, done that' at this level insipid and, more importantly, quite detrimental. This is based from what I've experienced during my decades following Swindon Town. Appreciate sometimes owners have hindered this.

The managers I'm talking about are those with their best days in football management well behind them (they’re here because they have bills to pay, which is completely understandable).

Their brand of football is moribund. They think that they can still implement the same tactics and methods that their mentors taught them back in 1988 without room to experiment.

Sure, they might be able to get us from L2 to L1 but they can they adapt or get us to the next level (that's what I care about as a fan, progression)? So far that's not happened. It tend to go stale really quickly.

That said, Luke Williams skewed matters somewhat being an unknown rookie who refused to adapt but he differs from the 'big' names who were here before him because I personally feel footballers, and to a certain extent supporters, thrive under the people they watched playing football - not the ones their dads watched.

Obviously this almost always comes at a financial cost but Matthew Taylor is here, he's up for it and Ellis Iandolo can watch Taylor's insane goals on YouTube  Wink
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 12:10:09 by Costanza » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #4599 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 12:48:22 »

The thing with an appointment like Brown is that he might get us up, and he might even do a half decent job in L1, but that's about the best we could reasonably expect.

Matty Taylor, however, could be something special. Granted, it could go the other way, but there's still more of a chance of him doing something amazing than the likes of Phil Brown.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4600 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 12:48:40 »

For what it's worth, I think this was a very interesting comment from Taylor...

"It is about the players removing the shackles and going out and playing football. We are not far away"

As much an indictment on DF's managerial style as it is a comment on his own. Be interesting to see how it pans out... Hmmm
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4601 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 12:52:23 »

The thing with an appointment like Brown is that he might get us up, and he might even do a half decent job in L1, but that's about the best we could reasonably expect.

Matty Taylor, however, could be something special. Granted, it could go the other way, but there's still more of a chance of him doing something amazing than the likes of Phil Brown.

I agree with everything you said in terms of reasoning, but still think out view should be short term -  get out the league.

Really don't want it to be Brown, yet wonder if its the least risk chance. Very conflicted.

It's clear Brown isn't a great long term bet. His actual record form a long term stats point of view is shit. But if it works this season, does it matter.

Gaaaaaaah - good look Power.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4602 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 13:06:52 »

I agree with everything you said in terms of reasoning, but still think out view should be short term -  get out the league.

Really don't want it to be Brown, yet wonder if its the least risk chance. Very conflicted.

It's clear Brown isn't a great long term bet. His actual record form a long term stats point of view is shit. But if it works this season, does it matter.

Gaaaaaaah - good look Power.

We're not in a position as a club to see it as anything but short term, and by that I mean see out this season and try and prepare for a better campaign in 18/19. 
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4603 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 13:14:58 »

Whoever we appoint is a gamble to some extent (obviously some more than others!), I look at it this way. Our goal is get out of this terrible division: to fail under Taylor would be forgivable, as long as he shows signs that he can do it next season; to fail under Phil Brown or one of the other retreads would just be a failure, compounded by the dullness of the appointment and the football. Whereas to succeed under Taylor would be glorious and feel like the start of an amazing journey; conversely going up under Brown would be good but we'd inevitably have a season of "consolidation" in L1, followed by a failure to kick on the season after before he got sacked midway through the following season. I've been bored to tears watching this team too often over the last 3 years or so, so I'm up for a bit of (potentially) glorious adventure.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4604 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 13:15:42 »

We're not in a position as a club to see it as anything but short term, and by that I mean see out this season and try and prepare for a better campaign in 18/19. 

On that note, wonder if they've remembered to start planning a proper pre-season this year...
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 306 [307] 308 309 310 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: