Pages: 1 ... 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1982490 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #3840 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 22:50:07 »

Nevertheless, being probably Swindon's longest lasting cultural manifestation, regularly watched by numbers of people far in excess of what any other in the Town can attract is still rightly a source of some pride. 

Which is why retaining our Div 3 status should be seen as a decent achievement if we can manage it. 

I agree....I expect no more.

I would take fifth from bottom now all day long.

Clems Army!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3841 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 03:07:57 »

I agree....I expect no more.

I would take fifth from bottom now all day long.
But for how long would you accept that being our only realistic objective?

Same was said last season and now this. My quip about glory days isn't necessarily about being in the PL or even the Championship, it's more about the occasional cup run, actually turning up at the CG in anticipation of enjoying a game and not just enduring it.

The fun factor has well and truly been sucked out of the club at the moment and there seems little prospect of it returning any time soon.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3842 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 07:23:34 »

The fun factor has well and truly been sucked out of the club at the moment and there seems little prospect of it returning any time soon.

I think that it feels further away than ever. But surely that's just a skewed perspective. We've had Diamandis and relegations and administrations and god knows what else.

I guess the years closer to the promised land* the memory is still vivid and you don't accept the reality that its unlikely. But we've been close, just can't see getting that close again any time soon.

* The Championship now, and staying there for a few seasons. The Premier League may as well be on Mars - we've missed the opportunity.

.. glory days isn't necessarily about being in the PL or even the Championship, it's more about the occasional cup run, actually turning up at the CG in anticipation of enjoying a game and not just enduring it.

OK yes, I take your point. Not sure about it being called "glory years" but that's by the bye.

I honestly think atmosphere is closer that we think. We saw what a PDC can do. Its mostly the reason I want Sherwood to be in the limelight - Sherwood isn't exactly PDC, but Williams time has gone in the fans eyes.

The winning bit is a bit more tricky.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 07:30:17 by Batch » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3843 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 10:21:11 »

I honestly think atmosphere is closer that we think. We saw what a PDC can do. Its mostly the reason I want Sherwood to be in the limelight - Sherwood isn't exactly PDC, but Williams time has gone in the fans eyes.

The winning bit is a bit more tricky.

The Championship atm is way beyond us. Watched a bit of Wigan v Newcastle last night, and it took me back to late March, when Wigan just walked all over us at the CG, we just couldn't compete with their size, pace and power. They're now 2nd bottom, and Newcastle were just walking over them in similar fashion.

No, our aim is very much on making sure we don't slip further.  Events can spiral out of control quickly.  Look at the mostly SBC run Swindon primary schools....now entering the education equivalent of Conference South....

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/dec/15/thousands-primary-schools-uk-league-tables-upended-new-sats-exams

Ranked 146/152  Sad
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #3844 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 10:41:31 »

Best way to describe how I feel about Town at the moment: It's like we're parents following an Under 13 side where we're asked to appreciate the lads efforts as they're all young and learning the game. Only we have to pay £19 to £30 for the privilege. Can't help but feel the play off final season was a one off and would be surprised to see us get that close again unless the model is tweaked to allow us to bring in some hardened pros to take some pressure off the kids.

May be wrong but I've always felt we should be challenging for top 6 in this division. I love the fact we're supposedly doing well financially for the first time since I've started following the club but it's tedious as hell supporting us at the moment and until we get the balance right I feel we'll always be struggling to keep our heads above water, which should never be the case in League 1.

Hoping January signals a turnaround and Power has had a rethink about his methods.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3845 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 11:25:23 »

The way I feel about Town at the moment is that I'd rather pay an extra fiver, have a pleasant walk to Craven Cottage, watch a better standard game of football and not feel angry and disappointed at the final whistle. It's too much of a chore watching us but also the distance and negativity amongst fans is off putting for me.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3846 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 11:40:01 »

The way I feel about Town at the moment is that I'd rather pay an extra fiver, have a pleasant walk to Craven Cottage, watch a better standard game of football and not feel angry and disappointed at the final whistle. It's too much of a chore watching us but also the distance and negativity amongst fans is off putting for me.

I'm watching Fulham away at Ipswich on Boxing Day! My other half's family are Ipswich fans and it's quite interesting listening to them complain, it's almost exactly the same as Swindon fans... We sell our best players, our chairman doesn't give a monkeys, we're heading for relegation, the style of football is crap...

I know how you feel though. It's a 45 min - 1 hr drive for me which I generally don't mind making because I tend to still get excited for football but the negativity as soon as I arrive in Swindon just makes me wonder why I bother. The team 3rd in the Championship is 10 mins away from me, and I can get a ticket for 20 quid. I haven't been, but I do get quite tempted when they have the bigger teams down just to get a football fix without the stress!

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3847 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 12:21:31 »

I wouldn't cross the road to watch 2 teams I had no interest in.

Unfortunately, it's STFC or nothing for me. And I regret that nothing seems to be winning atm
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #3848 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 12:30:45 »

Unfortunately, it's STFC or nothing for me. And I regret that nothing seems to be winning atm

I have the champions of England a 10 minute walk away, but as with you, Town or nowt. And as with you, nowt is winning at the mo.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3849 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 12:32:04 »

Neither would I ordinarily but I've developed a bit of a soft spot for Fulham.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3850 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 12:36:39 »

That's fair enough. It's just not for me.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3851 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 12:43:18 »

I'm one of those that quite likes watching football in general. I've been to a ton of games that we weren't playing in
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3852 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 12:48:29 »

Neither would I ordinarily but I've developed a bit of a soft spot for Fulham.

As have I.

I am going to try and go to the New Den on Boxing day though if I can get a couple of buses.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #3853 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 13:00:57 »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but history would suggest we've had our purple patch and it may be some time before we have another
Every match I can attend is 'purple' for me. I feel fortunate I can afford a ST, and have the time and health to go. How shit we are/will be/have been doesn't come in to it.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3854 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 13:01:24 »

In 40-odd years I think I have only ever gone to 2 games where we weren't involved.

Sunderland v Burnley on a Boxing Day in the mid 70s and

Crewe v York PO Final the Saturday before our final on the Monday and that was only because my dad was a York fan and a mate of mine worked for Goldman Sachs who had a private box at Wembley that we used.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: