Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1981487 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #2445 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:18:18 »

While I sort of agree with you Johnny, I don't think the slavetraders is a good example.

It's just a nickname, not a stereotype. I don't think any of us actually envisage Bristol city fans to be people that trade slaves.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2446 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:19:36 »

While I sort of agree with you Johnny, I don't think the slavetraders is a good example.

It's just a nickname, not a stereotype. I don't think any of us actually envisage Bristol city fans to be people that trade slaves.
I've known 3 Bristol City fans and funnily enough they all dealt in human trafficking .....

..... (not really, just taking the piss)
Flashheart

« Reply #2447 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:21:26 »

I've known 3 Bristol City fans and funnily enough they all dealt in human trafficking .....

Did they give you a good deal?
kerry red

« Reply #2448 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:22:10 »

The thing is, if you say anything somebody somewhere will be offended.

Fucking French!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2449 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:23:46 »

Did they give you a good deal?
Not really they sold me 3 Rovers fans who, as you can imagine, were decidedly substandard for all but the most basic of tasks
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #2450 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:25:25 »

If you don't understand the difference between a derogatory nickname between two sets of football fans and racially based stereotypes used as the basis of prejudice for many many centuries, I'm not sure I know where to begin to explain that.

I'm not sure where to begin if I have to explain why using a derogatory nickname that makes a joke of the slave trade might be offensive to some.

Not sure many would agree about derogatory nicknames between different sets of football fans being acceptable either, try using the well known ones for Brighton and Tottenham fans the next time we play them whilst stood next to a Police Officer and see where it gets you.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2451 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:31:08 »

I'm not sure where to begin if I have to explain why using a derogatory nickname that makes a joke of the slave trade might be offensive to some.

Not sure many would agree about derogatory nicknames between different sets of football fans being acceptable either, try using the well known ones for Brighton and Tottenham fans the next time we play them whilst stood next to a Police Officer and see where it gets you.
And I didn't say they were acceptable. But that still doesn't excuse the use of racial stereotypes used to underpin centuries of bigotry against a community that, unlike Bristol City fans or ginger haired people or the Welsh being stereotyped as a bit fond of sheep or most of the other examples you used, has experienced real harm as a result
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #2452 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:34:48 »

And I didn't say they were acceptable. But that still doesn't excuse the use of racial stereotypes used to underpin centuries of bigotry against a community that, unlike Bristol City fans or ginger haired people or the Welsh being stereotyped as a bit fond of sheep or most of the other examples you used, has experienced real harm as a result

Really? No harm to ginger haired people?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10387636/Kick-a-Ginger-Kid-Day-leads-to-attacks-on-schoolchildren.html
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2453 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:38:54 »

It's not a fucking Holocaust is it? But you're rather making my point for me - what I objected to was your suggestion that stereotyping Jews is somehow OK because other groups have to put up with it as well, with less disastrous but also unpleasant consequences.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2454 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 12:02:41 »

The thing is, if you say anything somebody somewhere will be offended.

Fucking French!

Eh?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Barry Scott

« Reply #2455 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 12:56:17 »

This is not intended to fuel offence mass outrage, but I've always thought of "the Jewish people" as people who subscribe to the same religious doctrine, or slight variations of.

Genuine question, at what point in time did judaism become an ethnicity? Has it always been? Are they separate? I'm just a bit puzzled by the race/religion meld and this seems like as good a place as any to ask.
Flashheart

« Reply #2456 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 12:57:46 »

Being Jewish is hereditary.... Stephen Fry is a Jew (and an atheist)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2457 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 12:57:55 »

Jews were originally from Judea I believe. Started as a race.
Barry Scott

« Reply #2458 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 13:05:50 »

But can't I go out tomorrow and follow judaism? Presuming I can then my future kids would be Jewish, but as they'd not be by race at what point in time does my bloodline get considered as such?

I'm sure I could Google all this, but this seems more fun.

Jews were originally from Judea I believe. Started as a race.

Doh. Kind of obvious I suppose!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2459 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 13:10:54 »

But can't I go out tomorrow and follow judaism?

Jew would have to convert I believe.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: