Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1983299 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2430 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:12:30 »

If the main concern of the Jewish community is people saying they like money, I'd say they're winning.

Everybody uses negative stereotypes to describe people but most are ignored or accepted. Based on where they live people can be called slave traders or homosexuals, based on their country of birth they can be called animal molesters or alcoholics, based on their nationality they can be called criminals, said to surrender easily or keep changing sides. Then there are the people with ginger hair. The list goes on.
Ah well, that's all OK then. Looking forward to seeing the Black and White Minstrels brought back for half-time entertainment
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #2431 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:15:59 »

Ah well, that's all OK then. Looking forward to seeing the Black and White Minstrels brought back for half-time entertainment

I never said it was ok, just pointing out the hypocrisy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2432 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:21:33 »

I never said it was ok, just pointing out the hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy of who? "The Jewish community" objecting to being portrayed in centuries-old stereotypes?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2433 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:24:19 »

In fairness, there is a pretty ridiculous "default to outrage" culture growing in the country at the moment- I note that Labour MP who tweeted a picture of the house of a white van man flying two England flags has resigned from the shadow cabinet too. Again, it's a stupid thing to do, but is it really a resignation thing? It feels at the moment like the media lurches from one unnecessary witch hunt to another whilst almost totally ignoring things that they should be outraged about like the abuse of RIPA to target journalists.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2434 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:30:16 »

Agree with that, although that Labour MP should have had to resign just for being such a devastating fuckwit. And I have sympathy for Whelan who's clearly just been very stupid, rather than actually being a racist. I just objected to the idea that because other stereotypes also exist, or there are worse prejudices/problems facing some communities that makes this set of stereotypes OK.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2435 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:32:02 »

Agree with that, although that Labour MP should have had to resign just for being such a devastating fuckwit.

If that was a resignation offence, the House of Commons would be populated with nothing but tumbleweed and Dennis Skinner wondering where everyone else went.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2436 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:34:52 »

If that was a resignation offence, the House of Commons would be populated with nothing but tumbleweed and Dennis Skinner wondering where everyone else went.
And that would be a bad thing because ......?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2437 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:37:31 »

In fairness, there is a pretty ridiculous "default to outrage" culture growing in the country at the moment- I note that Labour MP who tweeted a picture of the house of a white van man flying two England flags has resigned from the shadow cabinet too. Again, it's a stupid thing to do, but is it really a resignation thing? It feels at the moment like the media lurches from one unnecessary witch hunt to another whilst almost totally ignoring things that they should be outraged about like the abuse of RIPA to target journalists.

Yes

Flashheart

« Reply #2438 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:43:26 »

I've gotten to know three Jews and each of them met the stereo-type perfectly. They were even proud of it, oy vey.

Not that that necessarily means anything, just thought I'd share it with you.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2439 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:51:25 »

It's a funny stereotype this one. Can't think of many that can be so positively spun. Expressed in admiration rather than jealousy, it's positively pro-Semitic. It's a historic fact that the strong Jewish tradition in trades and professions has led to many talented people of Jewish origin accumulating wealth and influence. I also have Jewish friends who are, rightly, proud of that tradition. I think that's what Dave Whelan was trying to express.

My problem is only with small-minded people who use it as a racial slur to cover their own under-achieving envy. Like they would have generated that wealth if the Jew hadn't snatched it from under their nose… right.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2440 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:53:03 »

I've gotten to know three Jews and each of them met the stereo-type perfectly. They were even proud of it, oy vey.

Not that that necessarily means anything, just thought I'd share it with you.

Think it was Simon Schama commenting on Mark Rothko, who said there are 2 types of Jewish people, those who want to be lawyers/stockbrokers and the other kind.

I know 2 Jewish people in Swindon, both the other kind.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2441 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:54:40 »

I know a 'joke' about a jew and a pakistani standing at a bus stop, but its probably not politically correct so ill keep it to myself.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #2442 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:54:47 »

Think it was Simon Schama commenting on Mark Rothko, who said there are 2 types of Jewish people, those who want to be lawyers/stockbrokers and the other kind.

I know 2 Jewish people in Swindon, both the other kind.

Ha ha. Funny you should say that. The three (all three) that I did know WERE stockbrokers.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #2443 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:13:11 »

I just objected to the idea that because other stereotypes also exist, or there are worse prejudices/problems facing some communities that makes this set of stereotypes OK.

That's not what I said.

Where is the outrage about the Welsh being stereotyped as sheep shaggers? Or the Scots as alcoholics? Or the Aussies as criminals? I'd question why certain stereotypes get the press coverage and others don't.

I take it that you also object to the stereotyping of Bristol City fans as slave traders? Only I haven't seen you post any objections? I'd imagine that stereotype is one that some Bristol City fans find highly offensive.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2444 on: Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:16:12 »

I take it that you also object to the stereotyping of Bristol City fans as slave traders? Only I haven't seen you post any objections? I'd imagine that stereotype is one that some Bristol City fans find highly offensive.
If you don't understand the difference between a derogatory nickname between two sets of football fans and racially based stereotypes used as the basis of prejudice for many many centuries, I'm not sure I know where to begin to explain that.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: