Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nicky Nicolau - Signing from Saarfend  (Read 2047 times)
Dazzza

« on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 11:52:28 »

Thought I'd give this it's own thread...

http://www.southendunited.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10444~683548,00.html

SOUTHEND United Chairman Ron Martin confirmed this morning that the Blues have withdrawn their contract offer to Nicky Nicolau.

Nicolau, 21, had been offered a new one-year deal following the end of last seasons Play-Off Final victory against Lincoln City.

But following the former Arsenal trainee's reluctance to pen a new deal Martin has moved to remove the offer via Nicolau's agent.

"We have decided to withdraw the offer made to Nicky [Nicolau]," Chairman Ron Martin told the Blues Official site this morning.

"Nicky was offered a new deal five weeks ago but for the past three weeks there has been a lapse in him agreeing to the deal."

"We notified Nicky's agent on Saturday of our position and that we won't be seeking compensation through the Bosman system like we are entitled to do so."

"Our decision has been made and we won't be standing in his way."

Meanwhile, the United Chief confirmed that discussions have started with a replacement for the Cypriot.

"We have held talks with another player who the manager feels will advance the Club to a greater position than Nicky would have," he said.

And Martin believes that the left sided player will shortly sign for Blues League One rivals Swindon Town.

"I believe that Swindon has offered him a slightly better package than we did and I expect him to be unveiled by them in the next day or two."

"We're now talking to three new players and we expect to have some good news this week."

Dazzza

« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 11:55:07 »

20 YEAR-OLD first-year professional at Arsenal, Nicky Nicolau, was first signed on 2004 transfer deadline day on loan until the end of the 2003/4 campaign, and dedicated himself permanently at the end of that season...

http://pictures.footymad.net/upload/480/149948-3.JPG

Profile: Nicolau is an extremely talented and exciting prospect, although the hopes of the Shrimpers attaining his services permanently laid firmly in the hands of Arsene Wenger at Highbury when he arrived on loan from the Gunners. Fourth choice on the list in North London behind Ashley Cole, Gael Clichy and Juan for the left-back position, the Camden Town-born youngster decided on a future in southeast Essex, after a nine-match loan spell at the end of the 2003/4 campaign.

In the true style of an Arsenal full-back, though, he has proved to be more effective going forwards than he is at defending, when his positional sense often leaves him lacking. During the final months of the 2004/5 campaign, manager Steve Tilson decided to use Nicolau as a wide-left player, and he responded with a man-of-the-match display in the 1-0 Play-Off semi-final win over Northampton Town at Roots Hall. He kept his spot for the final, and promptly asked for a better contract than had been on offer for 2005/6.

Piemonte

« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 11:57:48 »

hard to say if he'd be a good addition or not.  

Is king looking at him primarily as a left back or left winger?  I guess we'll find out soon.
Spud

« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 12:00:58 »

He looked like a nippy left back/winger which is even better. Things are certainly looking up.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 12:05:32 »

Notice how Southend deal with players who take an age to decide whether to sign contracts?Take note STFC-fuck em off out of it!(eg Igoe)

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Spencer_White

« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 16:27:02 »

He is good actually. Going forward. Got man of the match in the televised northampton play off semi final.

Saw him interviewed afterwards, right east london wide boy.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 17:42:48 »

I saw him twice last season, impressed me a great deal - especially in the playoff game against Northampton, he was superb in that game.
hansgruber

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 17:44:44 »

Get in. I love proper wingers at our level. They always rip it up. Just look at Holmes last year and even Roberts when he fancied it
Dazzza

« Reply #8 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 17:56:09 »

Makes up for losing out on Eastwood.

alex

« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 18:01:54 »

hopefully he will be everything dukey never was
Spud

« Reply #10 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 19:11:33 »

Quote from: "alex"
hopefully he will be everything dukey never was

Well he's a footballer so he's already got one up on Duke!. Wink
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, July 11, 2005, 19:16:04 »

Kingy said something about having a couple of young lads running up and down the line so that Whalley and Smith (if he signs) won't have to run around too much. I imagaine the players he has in mind are Shakes wide right and Nikolou wide left.

If we do sign Smith as well I may just start to feel a teeny weeny bit optimistic Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: